Why am I even playing this game anymore? (1 Viewer)

Begrimed

Non-Member
May 15, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Build silly decks. Sit down and ask yourself "What can I do to make this silly and fun?"
This. Go into the "Wild" playlist and make a stupid deck that everyone used to hate. Find a theme and just roll with it. Make a challenge to yourself. Like a taunt only deck, or only cards that have effects using RNG. I gave up on sweaty gameplay years ago when I realized that no matter how much I play or how much money I throw at the screen, I'll never be one of those Hearthstone "pros." And that's cool with me. I just play for fun and hope for some stupid awesome RNG scenarios to play themselves out.

For instance, a while back, I was using my C'Thun Druid. I threw down Brann and copied him with a Faceless Manipulator. Next turn, dropped a 22/22 C'Thun, triggering battlecry 3 times spreading 66 damage out on the board. Just dumb fun. It doesn't always have to be about winning. Believe me, I've lost a lot.

Masirus

Non-Member
Jan 16, 2016
I honestly can't see what deck you can validate as "cancer" right now. It's honestly a triangle of decks that are working right now and the only one that's been around long enough to be cancer status is Renolock and that deck is hardly cancerous. It's quite a decent balance now. Pirate Warrior gets killed by Dragon Priest, Dragon Priest loses to jade druid, Reno beats Pirates, Pirates beat jade. No deck is currently dominating the way mid shaman is before the expansion. Honestly if you're getting that angry it might be time to seek a new game. Something on the single player level. Cool your head and if you can't settle down maybe shelf this game for a bit. The meta can be quite interesting with all the reno decks out there right now.

Begrimed

Non-Member
May 15, 2015
Atlanta, GA
the only one that's been around long enough to be cancer status is Renolock and that deck is hardly cancerous.
You must not have been around for Patron Warrior... *facepalm*

Last edited by a moderator:

Masirus

Non-Member
Jan 16, 2016
You must not have been around for Patron Warrior... *facepalm*
I'm inclined to disagree that patron was a "cancer" level deck. While it was quite powerful it also took a reasonable amount of skill to pull off. Every move had to be part of your plan to make it work and by the time it reached a point where just about anyone could pilot it successfully, it was nerfed to the floor and basically destroyed. And even while it was a strong deck, it had decks that could beat it in Control Warrior and Control priest. Both have effective healing and board clears.

Compared to something like Secret Paladin and Mid range shaman which were just play on curve and win.

Jam

Dec 26, 2015
Texas
I'm inclined to disagree that patron was a "cancer" level deck. While it was quite powerful it also took a reasonable amount of skill to pull off. Every move had to be part of your plan to make it work and by the time it reached a point where just about anyone could pilot it successfully, it was nerfed to the floor and basically destroyed. And even while it was a strong deck, it had decks that could beat it in Control Warrior and Control priest. Both have effective healing and board clears.

Compared to something like Secret Paladin and Mid range shaman which were just play on curve and win.
I miss the Secret Pally Days ;-;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Begrimed

Non-Member
May 15, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm inclined to disagree that patron was a "cancer" level deck. While it was quite powerful it also took a reasonable amount of skill.
While each person is allowed their own opinion on the subject, mine will stand that Patron Warrior was a "cancer" deck. (Even though I hate that term) I define a "cancer" deck as one that is being obnoxiously overused to the point of needing certain cards to be nerfed in order to change the meta. Where every and all decks (Yes, even face hunter) require some sort of skill to play, in terms of when to play what, etcetera, etcetera; I think that Patron Warrior required more patience than skill.

Not only that, but also taking note that while Patron Warrior was the top used deck at that time, 8 out of 10 (for me) decks played against were a variant of Patron Warrior. You say "well, just use control warrior or control priest," but it's as simple as "I don't want to." For me, if there is some sort of deck that is plaguing Hearthstone (yes, I know there will ALWAYS be some sort of deck like this), I simply take a break from the game or play some Arena.

Masirus

Non-Member
Jan 16, 2016
While each person is allowed their own opinion on the subject, mine will stand that Patron Warrior was a "cancer" deck. (Even though I hate that term) I define a "cancer" deck as one that is being obnoxiously overused to the point of needing certain cards to be nerfed in order to change the meta. Where every and all decks (Yes, even face hunter) require some sort of skill to play, in terms of when to play what, etcetera, etcetera; I think that Patron Warrior required more patience than skill.

Not only that, but also taking note that while Patron Warrior was the top used deck at that time, 8 out of 10 (for me) decks played against were a variant of Patron Warrior. You say "well, just use control warrior or control priest," but it's as simple as "I don't want to." For me, if there is some sort of deck that is plaguing Hearthstone (yes, I know there will ALWAYS be some sort of deck like this), I simply take a break from the game or play some Arena.
This is the invariable nature of any CCG whether digital or physical. As someone who had played Magic, Pokemon, Dragonball Z and even the short lived Sailor Moon CCG you're ALWAYS going to have decks that are invariably stronger than others for a time. This will change when an errata or a ban happens that makes the deck work properly as we saw with Patron. It's just how these competitive games work.

So when you have a power deck you have ultimately 3 choices. 1) Play the power deck and win with it. 2) Develop a deck that counters the power deck but can still hold it's own against other decks. 3) Make a fun deck and play for the fun of the game.

To say that any of the new decks are cancerous after being available for not even 2 weeks it ridiculous in my opinion. Further to the point, by your own definition none of these decks requires any nerfs to be stopped. It just requires some tech choices to beat. Maybe even a special deck that can do it.

Here's how metas are created:
1) New cards come out and people start looking for all the new ideas.
2) People play test their new ideas and see if they work.
A) If they work as a whole they begin fine tuning them to maximize performance
B) If they don't they return to step 1 and try again
3) The ideas that work get copied and abused until something new comes around

Basically we're stuck with a meta until someone comes along and changes it. What can change this meta? Well maybe something people just havent played yet. Maybe a Fatigue deck is the answer? A fatigue freeze mage that burns up your opponents deck quickly while resisting damage. Maybe a new control warrior with their unlimited health cap?

My point is that you see the problem but have you thought about a deck that people AREN'T playing that can beat them?

The game is all about anticipating your opponent and their moves. It's about percentages. "If I play this card what's the chance that my opponent can counter it?" "If I drop this next minion does my opponent have a board wipe that will cost me the game?"

As you mentioned thier is a certain level of skill for even the most basic decks. What minions need to be traded for and at what point does over commiting the board become a problem if you get board cleared. I get that. My point with patron is that it was not a deck that just about anyone could pick up and win with. You said that Patron Required more patience than skill. I'll disagree here because you can't just simply wait for your combo to come out in the patrons or frothing. If your opponent is swarming the board do you simply keep ignoring it or do you play your own minions to counter back at them? The community as a whole for Hearthstone agrees that while patron was very strong, it was a high skill deck to play. Doing it incorrectly was like just giving away wins.

I also disagree that the changes made to patron warrior were purely because of it's power. After all Secret paladin was debatably just as powerful but never saw any nerfs. the change came because that deck's place in the meta was forcing out players from using other decks. For example, no player would ever use Dreadsteed while patron was in the meta as it was because it basically handed a patron warrior the game if you ever played it. Paladins dropped to an all time low because their hero power was useless against patrons. Patron warrior inhibited the growth of new decks and that's something that no creator wants for their game and they changed it because of that. It's the same with the old Druid combo. Force of Nature had to be changed because the deck would stop the creation of new druid decks.

Anyway I went on a bit more than I wanted to initially. My point is if you don't like the meta that settled in barely 2 weeks after a new expansion and you believe it's cancerous then you need to just play casual. Play wild. Or just play for the fun of it. If you don't watch Krip's stream you should check it out. He makes alot of fun decks that don't always work out but he has fun doing it. Sometimes the decks end up working out better than intended. Like he made a deck that just straight counters pirate warrior but loses to everything else. And because of his meta he won alot of his games.

Just all some food for thought.

Begrimed

Non-Member
May 15, 2015
Atlanta, GA
My point is if you don't like the meta that settled in barely 2 weeks after a new expansion and you believe it's cancerous then you need to just play casual. Play wild. Or just play for the fun of it.
Oh, don't get me wrong in the midst of my "rant." As a former (current?) MTG player, even competing in/winning tournaments, I completely understand how the structure of a meta works in a TCG whether they are digital or physical. And I agree with many of the points you made. The nice thing about digital card games like Hearthstone, as opposed to physical ones like MTG, is that if a certain deck style rules the meta for an extended time, they can make those adjustments via a nerf or buff. With physical games, you're stuck with it forever. Except in tournaments, however, where they can just simply ban the card/combo from being used altogether.

Also, you have to understand what I mean. Where I made exclamations on my opinions, I don't necessarily live by them. In fact, I rarely play Ranked mode anywhere past rank 20 anymore. I just earn my card back and move on. I'll refer to my earlier post:

This. Go into the "Wild" playlist and make a stupid deck that everyone used to hate. Find a theme and just roll with it. Make a challenge to yourself. Like a taunt only deck, or only cards that have effects using RNG. I gave up on sweaty gameplay years ago when I realized that no matter how much I play or how much money I throw at the screen, I'll never be one of those Hearthstone "pros." And that's cool with me. I just play for fun and hope for some stupid awesome RNG scenarios to play themselves out.
I don't take Hearthstone too seriously, anymore. I used to during the beta, and when it first came out, as I've always been a pretty competitive card player. But now, I try to do exactly what you mentioned. Make fun decks, or revert back to an old classic (so long as the card/combo hasn't been nerfed into oblivion).

Voir

Non-Member
Jun 29, 2015
You broke *three* monitors while playing HS?

The hardest rage I've had, was not playing HS. It was playing Starcraft 2, and I punched the table with my fist, and I was really mad. All I'm gonna tell you is if this game makes you mad, oh heaven help you if you ever play Starcraft 2.

But I get it. Something happened during the game that got your blood boiling. It was probably RNG-related. But here is a video that will put everything into perspective for you(it's a very short video of Brian Kibler at a Magic The Gathering tournament:

Topdeck de Bonfire of the dammned - YouTube

A fella in the Youtube comments said thusly to explain the situation "when you draw this card, you win."

Just look at that. How do you think you would feel there? When you think you've had a bad beat, watch this video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)