Closed: USB ports not working. (1 Viewer)

BadCompany

Non-Member
Feb 8, 2014
So I moved a Dell xps 9100 out of its stock case and into a zalman z9u3. After hooking it all up the computer boots to a bios boot check which says FRONT USB NOT CONNECTED. If I press f1 it then boots windows and everything is fine but the front USB ports do not function. In the Device manager it shows that the USB hub is connected but it says it cannot start. If I plug a USB device into the ports it beeps in windows but nothing happens after that. Anyone have any ideas?

Achilleus

Clan Member
Jul 18, 2015
Clan Rank
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
So I moved a Dell xps 9100 out of its stock case and into a zalman z9u3. After hooking it all up the computer boots to a bios boot check which says FRONT USB NOT CONNECTED. If I press f1 it then boots windows and everything is fine but the front USB ports do not function. In the Device manager it shows that the USB hub is connected but it says it cannot start. If I plug a USB device into the ports it beeps in windows but nothing happens after that. Anyone have any ideas?
You're sure that the usb 2 and 3 isn't mixed up?

BadCompany

Non-Member
Feb 8, 2014
You're sure that the usb 2 and 3 isn't mixed up?
Not sure what you mean by this. USB 2.0 is into one of the USB headers on the mb. While the 3 isn't hooked up since it's not required for this computer

BadCompany

Non-Member
Feb 8, 2014
Update: The front ports do work there is just a warning on boot every time. Im thinking since the old case had multiple sets of front usb ports and now only has one set its confused. Dont know how to fix it though

Gyorn

Retired Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Retired Leader
Retired Leader
Update: The front ports do work there is just a warning on boot every time. Im thinking since the old case had multiple sets of front usb ports and now only has one set its confused. Dont know how to fix it though
Hmm... I would suppose the original Dell case has a slightly different pin layout (not totally because then it would not work^^). So they have probably additional "detection cables" that're there for only that purpose. Are there more pins used on your front-USB-connector in the Dell case then in the Zalman?

PS: For a "normal" MB from Asus, Gigabyte or similar manufacturers this thought would be a bit odd. But Dell is using customized Intel boards, so I wanted to mention it.

BadCompany

Non-Member
Feb 8, 2014
Hmm... I would suppose the original Dell case has a slightly different pin layout (not totally because then it would not work^^). So they have probably additional "detection cables" that're there for only that purpose. Are there more pins used on your front-USB-connector in the Dell case then in the Zalman?

PS: For a "normal" MB from Asus, Gigabyte or similar manufacturers this thought would be a bit odd. Anyway Dell is using customized Intel boards, so I wanted to mention it.
Pins are identical. The previous dell case had 4 of the 6 USB headers in use. 3 were used for USB ports and 1 was used for a card reader. The new case only has 1 of the 6 headers in use. I'm thinking it's just a detection problem on the mb because it's programmed to have 4 headers used.

Gyorn

Retired Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Retired Leader
Retired Leader
Pins are identical. The previous dell case had 4 of the 6 USB headers in use. 3 were used for USB ports and 1 was used for a card reader. The new case only has 1 of the 6 headers in use. I'm thinking it's just a detection problem on the mb because it's programmed to have 4 headers used.
Alright, that states it clear then.
As said, Dell uses custom MBs - so most likely they're also using custom USB controllers (although they should be pretty simple) in the front.
Anyway, I don't think you're easily able to change this behavior unless messing around with the registry more extensively.

Vex

Vetted Officer
Jan 14, 2015
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
[MENTION=35735]BadCompany[/MENTION]: Did you get this fixed yet by chance? Just checking

BadCompany

Non-Member
Feb 8, 2014
[MENTION=35735]BadCompany[/MENTION]: Did you get this fixed yet by chance? Just checking
Nope. I got the ports working but the startup warning still comes up

Ping

Vetted Officer
Jan 20, 2012
Kansas City
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Nope. I got the ports working but the startup warning still comes up
The startup warning are probably because the prior case had a USB controller that was dell and the BIOS is looking for it. Since you changed cases, it was alerting you that the USB controller was not plugged it.

It should be fine just probably annoying that it wasn't able to plug in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)