Closed: Thoughts on new video card(s). (1 Viewer)

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
I've always prefered single cards to crossfire/sli. In my opinion - please remember that this is just my opinion - I really don't like the 660ti. The price point just seems wrong. It's barely any cheaper than a 670 and once aftermarket companies start fiddling with it, the price is so close to a 670, you might as well just go for the 670.

If you are just playing SC2, you won't need anything too powerful. You could go for something like the 560ti which will run SC2 just fine. AMD also just announced prices cuts on the 7850, 7870 and 7950 yesterday, cutting the prices by $30, $50 and $30 respectively, so it could be worth wait a bit for those to trickle through and pick up one of them. I like the 7850 quite a lot although the 7870 did get a large cut and is worth considering. It is much more powerful than you would need to run SC2 though.

You could also wait for the 660 to be released and hope that it is the equivalent of what the 660ti should have been/what the 560ti was.

MustangPunk

Vetted Member
Jun 27, 2012
Burnettown, SC, USA
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
I have one of the 550Ti and I love it. The 660 is bad ass. I have had no trouble with the card, my cpu overheats but my gpu stays well under 35 Celsius (thats what my meter reads :D ) I would say the 660 if u got the cash, much easier than joining the 2, but not really hard.

Yea I like Radeon but I had trouble in the past with video drive updates from them, Nvidia is really good about updating or letting u know to update.

Grandpa

Vetted Officer
Jul 12, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
How solid is the rest of your rig? Don't want to see you end up with something that's bottle necked at the CPU. Looks to me like it has a decent price/performance ratio. I've never used dual video cards and I think that it just adds complexity to the system, I'd advise to go with the single GTX 660.

Aug

Clan Leader
Mar 10, 2010
Compuserve HQ
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
If you are going for dual cards, remember to check your PSU and make sure you have the power out put to handle both. I've only ever had one card at a time in my machines. I just make sure I have a decent card, and everything runs great. I have the GTX 570 right now, and I can run things on high graphics no problem. I have the PSU to support another card, but i don't think I wanna go through that hassle with this set up really. I would say go for the single card. I just think it's simpler to deal with problems with only one card. Dual cards are nice, but honestly unless you are doing graphic design or running a multiple monitor setup, then a single card will do you nice. Especially if it's a 600 series. I do think you should spend an extra few dollars and get the 670 at least.

Aragos

In Loving Memory
Jul 14, 2011
Willmar, MN
Clan Rank
Retired Member
Damn I need to warranty my card and it makes me want to get a 600 series

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

A

Agent38ddd

What [MENTION=63]Aug[/MENTION] said about the PSU. The 660ti should be plenty for most anything out there. One card is always better because it leaves you with upgrade options. The rule of thumb is to never go into a crossfire/sli setup with two low-end cards. With low-end cards, you exist on one until it no longer suits your needs -- then you add one later to give you a boost. So you buy the 660ti (or spend a few more bucks on a GTX 670 with it's superior memory bandwidth) and that will play things just fine for some time to come. Then when you run into that game down the road that overpowers your single card, you have time to save for a PSU upgrade + another 660ti/670.

clobber1967

Jun 24, 2012
Kansas
A 660 has a competitor in the galaxy line here with a higher clock Newegg.com - Galaxy 66NNH7DV6WXZ GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. But I have to agree with the earlier post about AMD price cuts on the 7870. Here is one from Diamon for $229 after rebate Newegg.com - DIAMOND 7870PE52G Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. Agent38ddd has it right about not combining two low end cards to achieve the higher performance. Memory for example is only 1 gigabyte on the low end cards you listed. In SLI they do not add the memory together to achieve a higher RAM capacity but instead it duplicates the data across both cards. So as games technology progresses your memory buffer could become a bottleneck. In a new card go with nothing less than 2GB of RAM these days which is "more" future proof when considering the games of tomorrow. There is also a phenomena known as micro stuttering where two cards in crossfire or SLI sometimes have visual lag. Read this article Micro-Stuttering And GPU Scaling In CrossFire And SLI : Micro-Stuttering, Multi-Card Scaling, And More!. Apparently 3 way crossfire / sli eliminates most of the micro stutter but is not cost efficient. Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)