The Core hotkey binding (1 Viewer)

spiersie

Clan Member
Oct 11, 2015
Clan Rank
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
I've been using grid hotkeys for a long time, it is easy to learn, and keeps bindings in a closer proximity than standard binding... until you look at control groups and camera locations.

Having camera hotkeys bound on F1 and up, control groups as usual, i find after reaching 5th control group and 4th camera hotkey, things start getting inefficient, i have to move my palm to reach further down for the number keys and even more so for camera hotkeys. I've looked at The Core custom hotkey layout a few times and contemplated learning it, especially now that i am only just returning to sc2 and have to go back to a lot of basic practice anyway.

Have any of you tried The Core? Do any of you still use The Core? What are your thoughts?

United

Non-Member
Apr 10, 2016
[MENTION=56379]spiersie[/MENTION]

have you customized your grid in terms of controlgroups and alternative keybindings? You also can use keys like the spacebar or the key left to the 1. Also you can use shift and control and alt + f-keys to create or jump to camera locations. The same you can use for control groups.

To answer your actual question: Yes, I have tried TheCore, but its not logic to me. But alot of my friends are using TheCore and loving it, also alot of progamer like PiG or Neuro are using it aswell, so its worth giving it a try. Keybindings are of a personal thing, so just try it and look. If its suits you, you should use, when not, than go back to grid :)

[MENTION=66723]Requ1em[/MENTION]

can you give us some information? what hotkeylayout do you use? have you small or big hands? what controlgroups do you already use? stuff like that :D

Requ1em

Vetted Officer
Apr 16, 2016
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
[MENTION=66428]United[/MENTION]

Sure thing!

Currently using: Corsair K70 Vengeance - Cherry MX & Razer Taipan (Ambidextrous 4 button macro sides with dual macro under mouse wheel) - Using default settings on SC. I'm 6'3 and my wife compares me to a gorilla so my hands are giant. It makes for difficult twitch gaming but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

United

Non-Member
Apr 10, 2016
[MENTION=66723]Requ1em[/MENTION]

Great! As I noticed from your information, your maingame is League, do you want to try the "grid" hotkeylayout? Its familiar to the standart hotkeylayout of League (using the qwert, asdfg, yxcvb keys). Just by looking at the command card ingame it will tell you which key you should press, so its pretty easy to learn. The play with control groups is pretty easy too. With grid you normally put your production on the right side (like 4 - 6) and your army on the left (like 1 - 4). With this you can use your hand pretty efficient, because while selecting your production you still can use your lefter fingers to press the buttons. For example having your main building at 4, you can select it with your index and produce worker with your pinky/ringfinger.

Hope this makes things clear :)

Btw what do you mean with your last sentence? I don't get it :(

spiersie

Clan Member
Oct 11, 2015
Clan Rank
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trying out The Core 3.0 PRM (protoss, right-handed, medium) everything is right there, but so hard to re-learn hotkeys after grid. I find myself looking at the command card and pressing the finger that usually corresponds to the position, then i eventually get it right, but sometimes i end up clicking instead of using my control groups even XD ill stick to it and see if i can get it going

Also looking at Fleet Keys now, seems to solve the problem of out-of-reach cameras and control groups while keeping the keyboard straight and having a layout similar to grid

Last edited:

Ligerman30

Non-Member
May 8, 2016
I've been using the core since hots and it's pretty much all I need in terms of hotkeys. I use a modified version of 2.0 ZRM with inject on j instead of - so that box injects are faster. Grid isn't a "bad" hotkey setup, but after using and getting used to the core, I think that switching back would be pure foolishness.

spiersie

Clan Member
Oct 11, 2015
Clan Rank
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
yeah i am slowly getting there, going from pretty much having to look at where my fingers are and what buttons i am pressing to being able to crush a very easy ai :p might try easy now, just feel really slow, but i am using the shit out of control groups and cameras, splitting production buildings now so
(
- : warpgate
[ : robo
" : stargate
u : upgrade research structures
8 : nexus
)
setting cameras
(
- : rally point
p : base1
[ : base2
; : base3
' : base4
)

still having a little trouble working out how to spread my army over the others, at the moment MSC on P, main army on i

still feeling really foreign, but hoping with more practice it will become smooth

Edit: just an update, i am currently still just practicing getting the hotkeys accurate, i think i am struggling mostly with the keys being angled trying to hit 8 or 0 i sometimes hit 9, and sometimes mess up hitting n or m (m for build gateway, n for switch into warpgate) but just had no trouble clearing a medium ai just using stalker a-move

Last edited:

Ligerman30

Non-Member
May 8, 2016
yeah i am slowly getting there, going from pretty much having to look at where my fingers are and what buttons i am pressing to being able to crush a very easy ai :p might try easy now, just feel really slow, but i am using the shit out of control groups and cameras, splitting production buildings now so
(
- : warpgate
[ : robo
" : stargate
u : upgrade research structures
8 : nexus
)
setting cameras
(
- : rally point
p : base1
[ : base2
; : base3
' : base4
)

still having a little trouble working out how to spread my army over the others, at the moment MSC on P, main army on i

still feeling really foreign, but hoping with more practice it will become smooth

Edit: just an update, i am currently still just practicing getting the hotkeys accurate, i think i am struggling mostly with the keys being angled trying to hit 8 or 0 i sometimes hit 9, and sometimes mess up hitting n or m (m for build gateway, n for switch into warpgate) but just had no trouble clearing a medium ai just using stalker a-move
A big part of being coumfortable with the core is having the keyboard tilted enough so that you thumb can naturally rest over both shift and control.

spiersie

Clan Member
Oct 11, 2015
Clan Rank
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Do you get bothered with the inability to type and having to adjust the keyboard often? e.g. "glhf" "gg" or looking up build orders between games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)