Closed: - Sura's Build of the Month - August 2012 | FeverClan - Gaming Community

Closed: Sura's Build of the Month - August 2012 (1 Viewer)

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Build of the Month is a monthly build I will be specing with a budget of around 800 (will probably be around $1000 due to cheaper prices in the US). All prices will be taken from Amazon UK. Links are underlined. View the Build of the Month archive here.

CPU: Intel i5-2500k - 166.90 - I see no need to go with the more expensive Ivy Bridge equivalent, the i5-3570k. The heat dissipation in the 3570k is not as good, making it harder to overclock. The only real advantage the 3570k has is lower power consumption.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - 25.80 - Yep, this fan. Good cooling at a good price. Highly regarded by pretty much everyone.

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 - 109.99 - A good motherboard at a good price. Supports Crossfire and SLI so you can add another GPU in the future if needed. The Z77 chipset came out to support Ivy Bridge but is compatible with Sandy Bridge.

GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD6950/XFX ATI Radeon HD6950 XXX Dual Fan - 159.99/159.22 - The price on this is currently around 40 cheaper than the equivalent 7850 so I'm sticking with this at the time being. The performance is on par with the 7850 but the power consumption of the 6950 is higher. Not enough for me to recommend spending the extra 40 though. There are 2 difference versions linked. The first is a single fan design, the second is a dual fan design. Same price, so a personal preference thing.

RAM: Corsair Vengence 8gb 1600mhz - 39.66 - Nothing much to say about this. My favourite RAM due to the design. Nothing really seperates RAM so pretty much any 8gb 1600mhz RAM will perform the same.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb - 82.99 - Prices of HDDs have come down enough for me to recommend this drive again. This is a very fast HDD with plently of storage space. If you want to save money, you could reduce the drive size or go for a Caviar Blue instead.

DVD drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x - 12.50 + 2 delivery - Nothing much to say here, your generic 24x DVD writer.

PSU: OCZ OCZ-ZS750W-UK ZS Series 750W 80+ Bronze PSU - 77.50 - A solid 80+ Bronze rated PSU. Enough to support a second graphics card should you choose to add one. Do not go for a cheap PSU - probably the worst mistake you can make in a build. If you are lucky, the cheap PSU will fail. If you are unlucky, it will fail and take out some of your components.

Case: BitFenix Raider - 78.59 - I love BitFenix cases. They are fantastic products. This particular case comes with 3x120mm fans, 4 USB 3 ports and a fan controller. BitFenix are probably my favourite case make. If you do want something cheaper, you can go with the BitFenix Shinobi instead but that only comes with 1x120mm fan.

Total price of this August 2012 build: 755.92

Closing comments - This build uses older tech in the CPU and GPU but that saves quite a chunk of money, meaning it comes in a good 50 under the budget. This build will be able to run BF3 on high at around 60 FPS and League of Legends on max at around 120 FPS.

Last edited:

Plasticjesus

Non-Member
Jun 23, 2012
Seattle WA
Nice build alot like my current rig lol. I would recommend changing out the psu for something like the corsair TX-750 but ocz does make a decent power supply so its not necessary. I think you could probably fit a small ssd in that budget :)

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Nice build alot like my current rig lol. I would recommend changing out the psu for something like the corsair TX-750 but ocz does make a decent power supply so its not necessary. I think you could probably fit a small ssd in that budget :)
The OCZ and Corsair are pretty much equal, I went with the OCZ as it was cheaper. I do have the tx750 myself though.
I thought about an SSD but 50 really isn't enough. You could go for lower end parts to fit in an SSD but I don't really want to. A WD Cav Black is a very good HDD.

Plasticjesus

Non-Member
Jun 23, 2012
Seattle WA
Indeed, If it were me Id drop the Dvd Drive and put the extra 12 bucks towards a small ssd though :) I have not had a dvd drive in a computer in years haha. But not everyone can get away with doing that. Good work man this should be helpful to people who are specing out a really good budget build

stemnin

Vetted Officer
Jun 23, 2012
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
that case is beautiful. After using SSDs at work and home, I can't go back.

sucks waiting for everyone else to load lol

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
that case is beautiful. After using SSDs at work and home, I can't go back.

sucks waiting for everyone else to load lol
I can't stress enough how much I love BitFenix cases. Insanely good value for what you get.

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Indeed, If it were me Id drop the Dvd Drive and put the extra 12 bucks towards a small ssd though :) I have not had a dvd drive in a computer in years haha. But not everyone can get away with doing that. Good work man this should be helpful to people who are specing out a really good budget build
The DVD drive is kinda needed for the windows 7 install. Even if you did get rid of it, you'll only be able to get something like this. 50gb really isn't much space after a windows install - which you won't be able to do since you don't have a dvd drive :p

Plasticjesus

Non-Member
Jun 23, 2012
Seattle WA
Yea, You actually have to make the flash drive lol. I am just being difficult haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)