Sharing a few of my favorite books / Authors (1 Viewer)

blacklyte

Aug 15, 2012
Greenville, NC
Orson Scott Card. My absolute favorite writer. Best work is the Ender's Game saga. 9 books total.

Assassin

Vetted Officer
Jun 24, 2012
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
I know it might be boring to some but I like Andy Mc'Nab I have read nearly all of his books I am now on the next to last, all really good reads and with short chapters to can read a bit and put it down without feeling like you need to read for ages just to finish a chapter off....

Clinic

Jan 28, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Orson Scott Card. My absolute favorite writer. Best work is the Ender's Game saga. 9 books total.
I would agree that OSC is one of the better old Sci Fi writers with a couple of reservations.

Ender's Game and maybe 2 or 3 of the other books in the series are the only ones really worth reading. This is just my opinion obviously, but Ender's Shadow REALLY bored me. Bean was the least interesting character in Ender's Game and I personally don't think he needed a book written about him. The bad guy in the book (the bully kid, I can't remember his name) on the other hand, should have had a book written about him.

Also, I personally don't think much of OSC's other work is worth mention. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just unfortunate that OSC wrote his stunner as one of his first books.

But I put Ender's Game on my list of Required Reading.

A

Agent38ddd

I'm going through the John Grisham collection right now. I read all of the Lisa Gardner books this past summer, and sandwich random Stephen King books in the middle of these, just to mix it up. Good writing to me is anything that keeps me entertained, or coming back for more. Grisham is fun to read because he's a lawyer, so there's that authenticity angle, and Stephen King describes things in ways that I relate to. The Lisa Gardner books are fun for no reason other than they keep me turning pages.

Clinic

Jan 28, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
[MENTION=130]Agent38ddd[/MENTION] ! I forgot about John Grisham. I haven't read his books in ages. Must find them... My favorite Grisham book is probably The Firm. Good stuff.

dyring

Jan 11, 2013
Right!

Since youv mostly gone on about sf I figure Id add some fantasy wich is much better!. (Thou I have read enders game, and yeah, it was good;)

I wont mention Tolkien. He kinda goes without saying

So instead, My main suggestion would be an author named Brandon Sandersson. Hes gotten moderately famous lately for finishing the wheen of time, a long fantasy epic written mostly by Robert Jordan, who unfortunately passed away before finishing, but who had left notes on the endings.

While Mr sandersson finished tWoT well, his own books are as good, if not better.
I would recommend starting with "Mistborn". It is the first book in a trilogy, but the ending is satisfying enough to be a standalone. Once youv read that, youll be hooked, and there are a bunch of others you can move onto;)

Clinic

Jan 28, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I do enjoy Robert Jordan, so worth looking into.

A trilogy I really enjoy (and haven't read much of recently, I should fix that...) is the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friendman. Fantastic Fantasy trilogy that was actually recommended to me by my highschool english teacher. Her The Magister Trilogy was pretty good too.

dyring

Jan 11, 2013
Well, If I am to continue aswell, there are a female author named Trudi Canavan.

Her Black Magician triology is really nice.

Ekaitz

Non-Member
Sep 13, 2012
Another great fantasy saga is The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A beautiful and really refreshing version of the arthurian legend through the perspective of the female character, mainly. It also explores the clash of two worlds (christianity and paganism) and the consequent cultural shifts. Highly recommended.

Clinic

Jan 28, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Another great fantasy saga is The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A beautiful and really refreshing version of the arthurian legend through the perspective of the female character, mainly. It also explores the clash of two worlds (christianity and paganism) and the consequent cultural shifts. Highly recommended.
Sounds interesting. Might have to add that to my future Fantasy reads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)