Rogue Review (1 Viewer)

RealZae

Non-Member
Mar 2, 2015
Colorado
After having about a week to look over the changes to Rogues, I am very much in disagreement with chicken little. The sky is not falling, but there are some troubles on the horizon.
Rogue is not dying, rogues are not weak, and none of the specs are very far below the others. However they are also not equal.

This has probably the best mobility of the three specs, but its damage is lacking, not horrible, but lacking. It's damage is still very cooldown reliant which is not far of a departure from Sub as we know it. While you can still line up good damage under the right circumstances it has nowhere near the Oomph it used to. It's a very fun theme to play, but as a mechanically inclined gamer I must put performance above sheer enjoy-ability, because performance is where I get the most of my enjoy-ability, that came out wrong, and so did that.

Bleeds, poisons, all over time, oh my! I remember bleed and DoT kiting my foes a long time ago, but it was always very specialized, and now Mutilate has the power behind its DoTs to put the slow fear of death into your enemy's eyes as their blood leeches from their body and their veins turn ugly shades with poison coursing deeper into their system. I've been using a combination of Hemorrhage, Rupture and Garroted Exsanguinated for rapid blood loss and have achieved great results. I'm still very much in the experimentation phase so I'm looking forward to trying Agonizing poison when I get some BG time in between videos and gym trips (no not pokemon gyms, but I should probably do that too, there is a Poke Gym right next to my regular gym afterall).

Deeper Stratagem and Vigor have been tied for usefulness with me, and until I can do further testing I'm going to recommend to base your choice on what works best for you.
A lot of people have complained about Mutilate being the "bleed and waddle spec" for a supposed lack of mobility, and while you are not nearly as mobile as Sub, you are not a sitting duck by any means. You can eaither get to your opponent in an instant or cripple him enough to reach him rather easily. With poisoned knife I have not had any difficulties catching a fleeing opponent after my gap closers have been exhausted.

You may be the worst pirate they have ever heard of, but they have heard of you. If you ever had fantasies about being Jack Sparrow, or being in bed with Jack Sparrow go ahead and be an Outlaw. It's the most fast paced and fun spec I've seen from the "Combat" style in a long time , while it isn't my cup of tea I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy my tests with the new spec. It has very little ramp up time compared to waiting for red buff of the olden times. Grappling Hook is surprisingly dependable but it has the same flaws as Heroic Leap on inclines.

Survivability
Rogues are still the best at escaping and surviving of any of the classes, but they are not nearly as invincible as they used to be. I have often found myself playing the old way when I had several dozen escape methods and died horrible deaths because of it. We are returning to an era where the Rogue is a patient class, and when they appear you know you dun goof'd.
I have a very confident prediction that the Rogue population will dwindle in time as the hyper active Burst of Speed generation moves on to Demon Hunters and the calm and patient hunters of old wait for their their kill with a smirk on their lips and a drip drip drip of poison from their blade.
Pardon me, that was very inappropriate, we do not revel in the kill, in fact we hate it, the glove doesn't fit, acquit.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of course, and there is more to come as I assemble my thoughts for an in depth guide. But I wanted to get something out there to wet people's appetites for the new Rogue, we're in for a fun time; Stealth up and gank on.

-Zae

Chaka

Feb 25, 2016
Fresno, California, USA
I only have one thing in response to this. Assassination is way too strong. They need to lower the % on Exsanguinate. Also, the combo point generation for assassination is way too much. You can generate 4 points with 1 mutilate. And your bleeds are constantly giving energy back to spam skills. And it seems the scales are way overturned for that spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havok

Non-Member
Feb 11, 2015
Virginia
I agree that outlaw and sub are fun. I've been throwing in DfA for a little extra enjoyment, but I know Marked for Death is the clear winner there. I just can't stop enjoying zipping across the screen and then flying up in the air, lol; like a deadly sonic the hedgehog.

Sub and outlaw movement are both pretty awesome right now. I haven't played around with Assn, but it seems like the 15% passive, plus shadowstep, plus sprint would be plenty enough to get around. Great idea with the poisoned knife too! I'm sure that's what it's intended to do, but I hadn't given it much thought myself.

If I could change one thing, it would be to make the dot last longer on sub. I feel like too often I'm stuck refreshing that with all of my combo points. I'll probably get used to it though.

Last edited:

Lavitz

Clan Member
Feb 17, 2016
Arizona
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I've been very curious about the new specs for Rogue and Hunter. Thanks for the tidbit on these specs. I do want to try Outlaw out since its the new thing on the block, but Assassination has always been a thing as well. Guess we'll see. :)

Jatt

Clan Member
Sep 25, 2015
Denver, Colorado
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I've swapped back and forth between Mut and Combat in the past. When I stopped playing a while back after I got tired of Warlords, I was Combat, even though Mut is my favorite, because I had a better sword than a dagger, so now I'm playing Outlaw. I've got to say, I'm liking it more than I did Combat. Juggling buffs with Roll the Bones is a lot of fun, especially when you get the CD lowering one and get to spam Marked for Death and your other CDs. I wasn't happy they removed Shadowstep, but I've been playing with Grappling Hook and it's an adequate substitute. I've had a ton of fun blowing up everything in sight during the recent demon invasions, what with being able to just constantly Mark enemies, kill them in a few seconds, and go on to Mark someone else.

I definitely want to try out Mut, but I don't have any daggers. That's the problem with their new loot system: it's great that you're giving me swords and axes I can use, but how am I supposed to get daggers for a different spec? I can't swap without weapons, and now I can't get weapons without swapping. It's a catch-22, and I don't like people using my favorite book against me. :( Maybe there will be a way to grab some once Legion starts up.

EDIT -- Post 420, woo! ;-)

Havok

Non-Member
Feb 11, 2015
Virginia
I'm so addicted to shadowstrike teleport on sub with a backup shadowstep that I can't bring myself to go back to playing around with Outlaw. I did finally swap DfA for MfD, and it is nice hitting anything and everything with full CP for free right away. Gotta try that grappling hook out some time though.

Edit: Well my addiction to shadowstrike teleports may have just been cured. Apparently the range on it was hotfixed from 25M to 15M some time last night or this morning.
Shadowstrike Range nerfed?

Last edited:

Jatt

Clan Member
Sep 25, 2015
Denver, Colorado
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I haven't tried Sub in a long time, especially not since the changes, so I don't really know how it feels, but the thing I like about Grappling Hook that made me start appreciating it was that you don't have to have a target or go directly behind that target when you use it. You target a spot on the ground and fly to it. At first I didn't like that because it's one more step before you move -- you have to activate the ability, find the spot you want to jump to and then click -- plus it's not as instant as Shadowstep, but after playing with it for a while, I like the freedom it has of being able to just jump wherever I want. And you can use it to climb stuff even when there's not an enemy at the edge of a cliff or whatever. You still have to have the spot you're aiming for in LoS, but as long as there's a slight slope or something, you can get to some places with it that you can't with Shadowstep. Both are good.

RealZae

Non-Member
Mar 2, 2015
Colorado
A lot of people have been worried about the Mutilate nerf, which is really just an Exsanguinate nerf, which is really just a nerf to the speed at which you actually kill people.

Exsanguinate now increases the speed of your bleed ticks by 100% down from 400%.

This changed absolutely nothing about the damage you deal, only the amount of time it takes to deal it. All it really does is gives people a chance to react to the incoming damage. It's a good change because it gives people a chance to counterplay a bursting Rogue. Before the nerf when you exsanguinated a fully bled target they were dead within a couple seconds, and no one is truly satisfied with that. Imagine if you finish too quick and you see the disappointment in her eyes, it's like that except she is dead and seething at the graveyard.=

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)