Guides: Raid Preparation Guide (1 Viewer)

BadFishSC

Clan Officer
Mar 21, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN
Steam
View
Clan Rank
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
As the title suggests, this is a guide to being prepared for current raids. This can be pugging, normals, AOTC, progression, or farming. This will help you get the most out of the raid. The worse thing is wiping repeatedly to the same boss and constantly having to reset. It costs you gold in your repairs but also time. These are simple things you can do to be ready for raids.

1- Listening
This is the most important thing you can do as a raider. The raid leader is that, the LEADER. Even if you have AOTC or mythic experience, you need to listen to the raid leader. He is in charge of the raid. He sets the tone of the fight and instructs players. Mid-pull is not the time to argue or question what he is saying. If there is something you don't agree with, wait until after the pull and bring up the issue. As a raider, you need to work with him, not against him. An example is the Champion of the Light (1st Boss) on Battle of Dazar'alor. There are three big strats that most guilds will use. The first is to follow the mechanics and switch to the adds periodically through the fight. The second is the switch to the adds once and focus the boss after that. The third is to just zerg the boss. Even if the group has the DPS to zerg the boss, if the raid leader calls to switch to the adds, just switch to the adds. It is easier to work with him and a split group might result in a wipe. Another example is comms. If the group asks everyone to be in comms, you need to be in comms. YOU NEED TO BE IN COMMS. I had an incident where we were answering questions during Crucible of Storms on Uu'nat. One of the tanks wasn't in comms and decided it was time to pull. We were not ready so this was a wipe. We had the long run back because one person decided that he didn't need to be in comms. Don't complain about in-game vs TeamSpeak vs Discord. You aren't recording a podcast for audiophiles. Quality doesn't matter. Just join, even if you don't say anything. To play it safe, you can just join in-game.

2 - Knowing the Fights
This can be done in few ways, all of which should be used. The first is to watch a video. Many guilds will run the raid on the PTR to test the fights before they go live. Although fights can change from PTR to live servers, everything is pretty close. Watch a video of the fights before hand so you can see what the mechanics look like and how to counter them. Remember, you can avoid most damage in a fight with proper positioning. This helps out the healers so much. You do zero DPS if you are dead. You do zero HPS if you are dead. You do zero tanking if you are dead. You can also review guides of the fights on Wowhead. This can be good to have before a fight so you can reference it and not have to pause a video if the raid leader is making a call. If there is a certain mechanic, have it pulled up on a second monitor or your phone. During the Opulence fight, each group has to grab gems before heading into the main area. It is a good idea to have the chart open and your gem highlighted so you can easily reference it and make the proper decision. The last and most important part is to ask questions that you have. The reason the raid leader is the raid leader is because they know the fights. They have watched the videos. They read the guides. They read the spreadsheets. They know the classes. They have done their homework. If you have a question, you need to ask them. Don't be the reason the raid wipes because you were too afraid to ask a question. Chances are that someone has the same question.

3 - Communicate
Comms need to stay open for calls. This is important, but certain things need to be communicated. Tank swaps need to be called. Don't assume that the other tank is watching stacks. Call out heals. Listen to what the raid leader has to say. The worse raid I ever did was Battle of Dazar'alor. The raid leader wasn't calling anything and the only thing over comms was him complaining when he was hit by a mechanic. He would get hit by a mechanic and all you would hear is "Goddammit" or "Oh my god." Complaining or whining doesn't help. We all make mistakes and you will move on from them. Complaining does bring down team moral. When I die to a mechanic, I usually know why. I don't need someone telling me why I died. I see the recap. The only thing you can do is to make a note of it, either mentally or through a WeakAura, and do your best to avoid it next time. I'm personally a player that gets tilted easily by my own mistakes. During the Conclave fight, we were suffering from really bad lag. I ran to the bird but still died due to 3000+ ping. Someone in the group who had no business on comms started to berate me. She didn't know I was suffering from ping. She just started to tilt because I died. This resulted in missed calls because she was jamming up the comms and the raid wiped. Only use necessary comms. Make your calls quick and precise. The raid leader gets priority, followed by tanks, then healers. Everyone except the raid leader and tanks needs to use push to talk (PTT). We don't want to hear your breathing through the microphone. If you are the RL or tanks, make sure your mic is good to go. Add a windscreen or dead kitten to your mic if you breathe heavily.

4 - Bring Everything You Need
Yes, the raid leader should have a feast. What if they don't? Do you just do the fight without food? No. You bring your own food. Don't use the excuse that it "is just a heroic raid." For some players, heroic is their best achievement. Don't belittle their raid because you showed up looking for a carry and a handout. At a minimum, you need food, battle-scarred augment runes, flasks, a potion for pre-pot, and a healing potion. This is the MINIMUM. There have been mythic raids where only five raiders pre-pot. This is unacceptable. You need to be prepared for every raid. There is nothing wrong with skipping a raid night so you can prepare a little better. Running low or out during the raid is understandable, but if you are running out, you probably need to leave the raid, grab your items, and then head back in. Take ten minutes to do this. It helps out so much. You can looks up which food, flask, and potions you need on Wowhead. I suggest 30 of each for normal, 100 for heroic, and 1000 for mythic. This seems like a lot for mythic, but you should have guild members preparing everything for the group on the days leading up to the raid. Anything you don't use can be used later or sold on the auction house. On top of consumables, you should save up for a yak or get the Jeeves toy. This will help with repairs. One person in the guild should have the auction house mount. It is really expensive so usually the guild leader or a mount collector in the guild will get it. All members can get the Katy Stampwhistle toy to access your mail by completing a quest line in Legion's Dalaran.

5 - Character Preparation
This is a tough subject because each class is different in what they need to do for prep, but this will cover some of the major things you need to do. Most important, have your character geared. Don't join a raid undergeared and expect a carry. This is rude and disrespectful to the other raiders. If the group is asking for ilvl 400, you need to try to be at least 400. If you only hit 398 before the raid, message your raid leader and ask if it will be okay. Don't just assume that it is close enough. The raid leader may let the guild master know, and they may be able to set you up with the M+ group to do some split farms. This can easily gear up a character. They may throw you in with some PvP players to farm for gear. They may suggest working on AP farming with a group. Don't stay silent about it. I'd rather accept someone who is 395 that lets me know a few days in advance that they haven't been lucky with RNG than someone who is 399 and doesn't say anything until the invites go out. On your main, make sure your professions are leveled. There is sometimes gear that you can build to help the group. Inscription can make a rune to boost damage during a particular boss if a player is under-performing on DPS. Ensure these are leveled before hand. Again, your GM may give you items needed to help level faster or money from the guild bank to buy the items from the AH so you can craft and level. There are a lot of guides online about the most efficient way to level each profession. On your alts, the most important thing is AP. Make sure you farm artifact power. Gear is easily obtained through split farming if needed. Your alt needs one profession different from your main and it needs to be leveled. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you are struggling. This is why the guild exists. The goal is to work as a team, not as a group of individuals. The easiest thing you can do is have add-ons and have them up-to-date. At a minimum, you need a boss add-on and WeakAuras. For the boss add-on, the two most common are BigWigs and Deadly Boss Mod. Check with your guild to see which they use. WeakAuras is used as a reminder for spells and other abilities. Make sure these are up-to-date. Test them out before the fight and make sure they are where you want them. This takes only a few minutes to do. Don't be that guy who hasn't updated DBM since Pandaria and doesn't understand why alerts aren't showing. Everything is done easily through the Twitch program. If you are using a custom UI like Elv or Tuk, make sure that client is up-to-date. Once you have checked everything on this list, check it again. It takes only a few minutes and will save a lot of time in the long run.

6 - Be On Time
The easiest thing you can do to look good that requires no skill is to be on time. Nothing upsets a raid leader more than if someone is fifteen minutes late with no communication. If you are going to be 30+ minutes late, it is best to just skip that night and try again later. The group will be better the second time around since they should know the mechanics meaning a quicker clear. If the group take a break and you need more time, communicate this as soon as possible. A ten minute break may not be long enough for you so ask for a fifteen minute break. Asking for more than that is too much. Remember that we also have lives outside of raiding. Try to plan according.

7 - Know Your Limit
If you aren't ready for heroic, don't play heroic. Don't join a heroic or mythic raid because you feel $15 gives you the right to play with anyone. The only place you are guaranteed something for $15 is McDonald's. There is nothing wrong with being casual. I'm serious. Nothing at all. There is a lot of people who play the game casually. It takes a lot to play at a high level. The WF raiders are putting in over 20 hours each week to make sure their characters are geared and their skill is high. If you can only put in 5 hours, that is fine. Just don't expect WF guilds to be calling you up. Stick to normal until you get geared or enough skill to run heroic. Know when you are being carried. There is no excuse for having less DPS than any tank. A high ilvl doesn't mean a high skill level. It isn't hard to learn rotations. Look up guides on Wowhead or YouTube. Download MaxDPS and your class add-on. This will help a little. It isn't the best for top level play but you can learn the basics. At the end of the day, be honest with yourself. We all have Details!. We can see your DPS and healing. We see the recaps. We see who used a potion. We see who is buffed and has food. Know your limit.

8 - Have A Positive Attitude
Remember, everyone in the group wants the same thing you do. They want to clear the raid and get loot, either gear, mounts, or achievement. Work with the group, not against it. Even a simple "We have this." can go a long way in helping the group out. Don't embarrass anyone over comms. If you see someone mess up an easy mechanic, whisper them and give them a good way to help out. A simple "Hey, during X, stand over by the rocks and you can dodge all the incoming stuff. Nice job though with everything else." You just let them know what they could improve while also reinforcing their positive mechanics. During Opulence, we had a hunter who kept spamming that he couldn't remember what gem he needed to pick up. I gave him a WeakAura that put a small text on the screen only during that fight to remind him which gem to grab. Simple, easy, and didn't embarrass him. He is on my friend's list, and we play all the time. He is really good at the Tol Dagor dungeon. These are things that can happen when you are positive and lift the group up. Being toxic doesn't help the group. It will only destroy moral. There are players who are normally not toxic but will tilt really quickly if someone else becomes toxic. Don't be the one that sparks the fire. Don't be the person who leaves after one wipe. Who knows what is going on. I was in a raid when my dog decided he wanted to poop on the floor. I was obviously distracted and didn't play my best. You never know what is happening in the background. Be understanding.

Hopefully, this helps. There are always new players and they will look to more experienced players for guidance. Help them out as much as possible. They may not know a lot of this stuff so it is up to us to guide them in the proper way. They will remember a lot of what we teach them. I remember the first raid I was ever in. I remember the raid leader. This was in vanilla. I still remember it from 2005. You want to be a positive memory. You never know. The person you teach now may be in the MDI or AWC or a WF raid. Thank you for taking the time to read this guide. If you have questions, let me know somewhere on the internet. This guide will change in the future. Let me know anything I may have missed. Good luck, have fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)