Closed: Power Supply or something else? (1 Viewer)

striker

Jun 26, 2011
Georgia
So not so long ago I woke up in the morning to notice that my PC was power cycling. It was turning on getting to the mobo manufacturer logo then turning off and repeat. I quickly shut it down and check to see if there was something going on with the mobo, you know, smoke or burn marks. Everything looked okay so I plugged it back in and tried to start it again and this time the PC wouldn't even get to the logo, just power looping non stop. I shut it down again and tried to start it up, now nothing happens, at all. No lights on the mobo, nothing. So, what do you guys think? Power supply gone? It's a 650watt corsair power supply which I've had for like a year. My PC is mostly on, even overnight, I rarely shut it down. It doesn't go to sleep or anything, doesn't even dim monitors. Any feedback would be nice. Thanks guys.

Plasticjesus

Non-Member
Jun 23, 2012
Seattle WA
Was it giving off any beeps when it was power cycling, Try clearing the Bios there should be a jumper on the motherboard to do so usually near the battery but not always. We need more details

y0y0ninja

Vetted Officer
Aug 27, 2011
Prattville, AL
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
heres some things to try:

make sure when you reconnected everything you didnt forget either your cpu power or 24 pin main power.
reset your bios. if jumpers are new to you, you can remove the cmos battery for 10 seconds and reseat it.
you can always bring your psu to a local shop to make sure if you still think its your psu, they always have a psu tester handy.
if all else fails, you got a mobo issue brah.

Bogo

Clan Founder
Apr 11, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Clan Rank
Clan Founder
Clan Founder
Pull all extra cards and try to have just 1 stick of ram, cpu, and power going to it. See if the motherboard posts or gives you any errors from there. If it posts (goes past the logo screen) Try adding parts back on and see if it gives you any problems. If it doesn't post, then pull the power and the CMOS battery, put cmos battery back in and try to power it back on. If that doesn't work try moving slots that the stick of ram is in. If that doesn't work your looking at a bad motherboard.

Ping

Vetted Officer
Jan 20, 2012
Kansas City
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Noticing lately a lot of possible PSU related issues (not just here but all over the net)... my pre thought as my PSU was giving me issues it that it could be the power coming from the power plant due to the heat issues in the mid west. Can anyone substantiate this as a possibility? power lines get hot due to resistance over distance (yes even AC) to "cool" heat = loss of energy (possible voltage drop) extra heat in the line can cause cable issues and as monitored by the power companies, they will attempt to lower the voltage during the day as low as 110v (and sometimes as low as 108) AKA brown outs.

Not saying this is it but I have noticed my UPS monitoring the power as low as 115v (119-121v typical).

After unplugging my PSU for a week mine miraculously started working again and has been on ever since. I monitor my power logs during the day and around 2-4PM power seems to drop just a few volts.

Just sayin'...

EDIT: I know that 5 or even 10 volts wont affect most PSUs but they are still sensitive to voltage drops. Voltage drops means a raise in amperes and in hence hard on PC equiptment.

striker

Jun 26, 2011
Georgia
It didnt beep when it was cycling. Anyways, i'm pretty sure its the mobo now. I bought a new PSU and the same issue persisted. I also found plastic residue on my PSU's 24pin connector which was the same color as the female end on the mobo. So yeah, now I need a new one. Anyone got any suggestions of a good mobo for an i7 processor with a Radeon HD6970 gfx card?

Aragos

In Loving Memory
Jul 14, 2011
Willmar, MN
Clan Rank
Retired Member
I have a p8z68 pro. Really nice won't run the new ivy I don't think but is around a 100 buck.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)