New to Dota 2

Bridgett

Non-Member
Apr 30, 2016
So the only MOBA I really have experience with is HotS. I just kinda wanna get some opinions about this game and or LoL. I wanna try one of these and I just wanna see which one would be best for someone who's new to the game.

Apr 10, 2016
Matinkyl, Espoo
Well first off, If you're going to start playing this game. I warmly recommend never playing solo queue, because that shows you the bad side of the Dota 2 community.

Dota 2 is a constant learning process for every player. You learn something new every now and then even if you've been playing since the WC3 Times.

But if you are just here to check it out and really don't want to commit to actually playing this game daily, then i would recommend playing more HoTS or League, as they are a bit more friendly on your personal schedule most of the time.

Dota 2 will make you much more confused at the start than HoTS for example. How, you ask? Well HoTS you can launch up, ask a friend a few things, pick a hero and then basically jump into game. It's very friendly to newer players and you can start learning on your own through experience quite easily. While Dota 2 takes IMHO atleast around 20 hours to get the basic jist of the game. Perhaps at 200 hours you will have already chosen a role that you want to play. And at 2000 hours you might already be ranked somewhere.

Sure, it's gotten a lot easier lately and there's PurgeGamers
- YouTube
for example who has a ton of good videos and material to read and learn through. It still does not change the fact that you can't just jump into a game in dota, there is a certain amount of trial and error that is necessary for you to start playing the basics of the game, otherwise if you rush things, you will most likely rush your ranked queue as well and calibrate somewhere around 1k and hate yourself for doing that later because you know you're better after some basic research, bot matches and general training process.

Sure, maybe you just don't give a shit about ranks or anything else like this in general but already then you should ask yourself; is dota 2 the right game for me?

So basically if you're gonna commit to this game and are very competitive by nature, then by all means a warm welcome to another lost soul into our abyss which is DOTA 2.

Otherwise just go play HoTS or LOL. Those games will definately leave a nicer feel after a game after work for example. Much more forgiving and much less cancerous community.

In any case, did not want to scare you away, all i'm saying is that the game takes time and don't get frustrated after losses and errors, that's how you learn.

If you need any help i am online pretty late at EU time. I coach mainly supports but i can bring you up to speed on other roles as well to around my own rank.
I also offer basic tutorials and bot match practice for free, just holler when you want to play and most of the time i'll be here. (Being a student has its perks, lots of Dota 2).

aaa

Clan Member
Feb 12, 2015
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
So the only MOBA I really have experience with is HotS. I just kinda wanna get some opinions about this game and or LoL. I wanna try one of these and I just wanna see which one would be best for someone who's new to the game.
TLDR: LoL is much more beginner-friendly, so to answer your question, pick LoL over DOTA.

Jan 1, 2014
If you want to learn the basics of dota, I or any free clan mate can help you out. of course if you want some serious help, you can always request a coach.

Piehat

Non-Member
Mar 30, 2016
OH
Well if you've had some experience playing other moba's then it would probably be up to you which one you want to play. People say dota is harder than league but it also depends on the person so i would suggest trying them both and seeing which one you find more fun! If you want to play sometime hit me up I'm sure we can get a 5 stack and have some fun ^^