Pending: New PC, Downloading slow AF even though my bandwidth is high. (1 Viewer)

Suurebud

Clan Member
Oct 26, 2016
Clan Rank
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
So i have a new Asus PC, here are the specs:

AMD FX Black edition 6 core processor 3.5 Ghz
12 GB RAM
2 TB HDD
AMD Radeon R7 340 2GB

not sure of the power supply.

From what I know, this PC should run just fine, im not sure what would be throttling my download speeds so much, speedtest.net is showing 11ms ping 128Mbps down/ 11 Up, so, im open to any suggestions, or help anyone may have :)

Thanks in advance.

Idolator

Supreme Ruler of the Multiverse
Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
[MENTION=73288]Suurebud[/MENTION] I'm pretty sure all the specs you just listed are completely irrelevant regarding your download speeds lol

What would really help is if you told us what your network card is. If you are on Windows 7-8, open up the Start Menu and type 'Device Manager' (windows 10 just right click on the start menu and select it). From that list go to 'Network Adapters' and you should see your Ethernet Adapter (as well as a wireless adapter if you have one). Please tell us what Adapters it shows on that section.

Additionally can you tells us if those speeds are through Wired or Wireless connections.

Also does this happen on all services (as in the speeds are low on website downloads, steam, torrents, etc) or is it specifically slow for a certain program?

If you want some advice on your PC build, then read below. But if you get triggered easily, I would skip the spoiler below lol

On a side note, that PC looks unbalanced as hell. 12GB of DDR3 RAM when using an AM3 Socket FX6300 Processor and a R7 340 GPU? There are only 2 big reasons (imo) to use 12GB of RAM: One is 4k gaming, and the other is 3D content creation. You can't do 4k with that CPU/GPU combo, and the speed of DDR3 (on newer 3D Programs) is gonna cripple you as well, not to mention the GRAM on your GPU is only 2GB which is not great for 3D Applications. So if you are doing neither, I'd struggle to find a way for you to even get close to 8GB of RAM, let alone 12GB. To be honest, if I were you, I would have waited for the Ryzen 3 to come out later this year (if you are on a tight budget) or gone with a Ryzen 5 1500x (which comes with a cooler), gotten a compatible motherboard, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, also a R7 340 GPU is equivalent to a GTX 750 (or maybe a 750 Ti) which is extremely old so I would have gone for a GTX 1060 6GB.
If there is anything that you can remember when buying a new PC, try to remember this: If there is a new generation of GPUs (and in certain cases CPUs) then prefer those over an older generation of GPUs (as it means your PC will last longer before you have to upgrade), if you are on a tight budget you can consider going 1 generation older (in this case you'd be going with a GTX 980 Ti, which is 1 generation above a GTX 750 Ti).
Even at 1080p, your PC is gonna struggle to run any AAA games at minimum settings. So unless you are planning to play LoL or CS:GO (and other games that are 5+ years old) then you are gonna have a bad time. You might have saved a few bucks now, but you'll end up upgrading a lot sooner than if you had waited to buy something more modern.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)