Closed: New Computer Build! (1 Viewer)

RiceBeanPowered

Non-Member
Sep 24, 2015
Hello everyone!

I am here today to request some opinions on a build I got planned for this/next month.
I have picked out the following parts, let me know your opinions.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($459.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ B&H)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($4.63 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.99)
Storage: Mushkin ECO2 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card ($269.00)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Raidmax Vampire 800W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1383.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 23:20 EST-0500

The main use of this PC will be Gaming as well as streaming. I've also gotten recently into Folding@home. I don't do a lot of video editing, however I do sometimes use photoshop.

Thinking about using this PC to potentially standalone stream, however since I still have my old PC, Would it benefit if I used an AverMedia streaming device on my 2nd PC?

The prices listed on some of the items, are prices I've found on the internet. Not just from PC Parts picker.

Let me know your thoughts.

P.S. I will probably be overclocking the CPU. I don't know why, but I know I will. I've seen people achieving as high as 4.5Ghz on this puppy. Would my cooling be sufficient?

Gyorn

Clan Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
[MENTION=55637]RiceBeanPowered[/MENTION]
At first, I'm changing the prefix of this thread to "Pending" as "How-To" is reserved for actual guides.

If you want to, you can answer the following questions:
I've removed the ones that're already clear.

1. What's your price range?

2. Do you need additional equipment (mouse, keyboard, monitor, sound, etc.) and do you have a separate budget for that?

3. Do you want to build it completely on your own should it be prebuild from a seller?

4. Do you have some old equipment that can be used for this (HDD, drives, case, fans)?

5. Monitor available? If yes, what's the specified resolution and frame rate?

7. How much space do you need?

9. Can you describe any other special things that we should take into consideration (noise, design, WLAN, sound, etc.)?
Some points for now:
You probably know the posted system is relying on a socket that's mostly used for workstations (CAD, rendering, simulations, basically all that can take full usage out of multiple CPU cores). Socket 1151 would give you more performance in the uttermost cases if it comes to gaming. Im not an expert at F@H but as far as I'm aware, newer GPUs can utilize it at least equally good as CPUs.
So you should weight the odds if you want to take that socket.
On the CPU: If you take socket 2011-3, I certainly won't take the 5930. Only 200MHz higher base clock than the 5820K - you can easily get that by yourself when overclocking. Furthermore, overclocking is always some sort of lottery. There may be CPUs that're able to do 4.5GHz but the question is: How much of them, with what voltage and with what temperatures/cooling system? Therefore I can't say you if your cooling is sufficient, even if you would able to get 4.5GHz without facing bluescreens.

PS: Not high temperatures are killing the CPU (overtemperature shutdown), high voltages do.

Memory: Try to take a 2x8GB kit at first. Upgrade to 4x8 if necessary (depends on how much you'll be rendering).
Storage: Not quite sure about Mushkin. Would instead think about Samsung or Crucial.
GPU: I wouldn't take that model. It's a reference card and furthermore from a quite uncommon manufacturer (not the best reputation). Depends mostly on your budget.
Power Supply: Not really sure about this. Would instead think about a Corsair or such (I'm not saying they're bad as the price seems reasonable, I just don't know them here in Europe).

About your streaming: I'm not the right person for this but maybe [MENTION=54504]FealtyGaming[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1582]saud[/MENTION] can help here.

If you'ld answer the questions at the beginning of this post, I would make a proper build suggestion for you.

Greetings Gyorn

captaindiptoad

Clan Member
Jan 3, 2014
Jacksonville, Fl
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Honestly right off the bat, I would swap the 5930 to the 5820K, The only advantage the 30 has is more PCI lanes and a slightly faster base clock speed. and with that liquid cooling you can OC yours to at least 3.5 no problem, and its one of the nighest performing CPUs out there anyway, you wont see a big performance boost spending almost 200$ more.

instead throw that money its a better GPU, toss that PNY, go with EVGA, they have warranties that are not voided by OCing.

adsrfs,.fgjhasdopifghiaduogfhuiopasdghfiupash

your to fast [MENTION=50355]Gyorn[/MENTION] !!!!

Gyorn

Clan Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
[MENTION=34628]captaindiptoad[/MENTION]
I know, I know - had premade that post, then got a feeling you wanna post, so... :D

Valid points with the lanes there and the only ones that're speaking for the 5930K, yeah. But also only applicable if using a MGPU system.

RiceBeanPowered

Non-Member
Sep 24, 2015
The price range isn't really fixed, however i'd like to stay under $1,500 if possible.

I won't need anything additional as I already own gaming keyboard/mice

I'm building this from scratch, no pre-built stuff.

I'm keeping the other PC intact, so I've already gone and added an SSD for my build, but I will potentially add a regular hard drive either when I order, or later down the line.

I currently have triple monitors @ 60hz. I will perhaps go 120hz in the future but not at this moment. (Is it really a huge difference?)
Also, I currently do 1920 x 1080. Is there a huge difference going with something higher?

I don't like having compact systems as I have large hands and its pretty annoying having to fix a small item inside the case without having to tear it apart.

I don't really dislike too much noise, but I also don't want a hair dryer. I've been considering changing out some of the fans for quieter fans but that's still up in the air.
My old gtx 470 sounds like a hair dryer above 70%

I picked the 5930k over the 5820K mostly due to the additional PCI lanes. I realize they are almost exactly identical otherwise. I think a 6 core would do better for encoding/streaming vs a 4 core(This could be up in the air depending on if anyone could give me input on streaming from the same PC vs using a capture card on a 2nd pc. I also believe the 2011-v3 won't be outdated sometime soon, but I could be wrong on that one. I got the 1156 when it first came out, and it got phased out almost immediately. (DAMN YOU INTEL)

For my overclocking, I don't HAVE to hit 4.5ghz, it just seems like a good test of the CPU. I may only OC it 200-400mhz in the end, I'm still unsure about that.

For my memory, I chose 4 sticks because with 2 sticks I can only do dual channel memory correct? Besides that, the Motherboard has 8 ram slots, so I could still hit up to 32GB of system ram in the future. I've also heard with smaller ram sticks vs larger ones, you can sometimes use lower timings or command rates vs larger ones. Not sure on this one though.

For my storage I chose Mushkin because i've had good luck with them in the past, as well as its one of the faster SSD's. (According to specs)

For the GPU, I've had good luck in the past with PNY as well, but this one DOESN'T have to be a PNY. I'm just looking for something that I can SLI in the future, without hurting my pocket currently. I also wish to EVENTUALLY liquid cool the GPU's as well later on. I'd really love a 980 TI but they're pretty damn expensive currently.

Thanks for all the input everyone, and again all suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I really dislike MSI (I've had issues with them in the past) So I'd rather keep MSI out of this if possible.

Last edited:

FealtyGaming

Non-Member
Aug 24, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
Lol wow that was a lot to read and catch up on... Umm the only think I see that could be a problem in the future is your ram. If you plan to edit videos or create high def images for the stream you will be much better off getting at least 32Gb of ram. The rest of you rig should handle streaming perfectly fine. when it comes down to the processor you will not notice much of a difference between the 4core or 6 core. Since they all have hyper-threading either one will handle things fine. It is not like you can stream at the full 1080p 60FPS anyway (since that really is only capable for partnered streamers). Everyone else pretty much covered everything, if you need any help or have any questions for streaming I am here.

My Rig
Intel I7-4790k Overclocked to 4.4Ghz
MSI Gaming 9 AC MotherBoard
nVidia GTX Titan Black (6144MB DDR5 dedicated memory)
16Gb Corsair vengeance 2133Mhz
Custom Water Cooling made by IBuyPower
2xSamsung EVO 500Gb
1x-2Tb WD Black HardDrive
IBuyPower Erebus GT-E3 case
Logitech G502,G35, G13, & C920 webcam

RiceBeanPowered

Non-Member
Sep 24, 2015
Lol wow that was a lot to read and catch up on... Umm the only think I see that could be a problem in the future is your ram. If you plan to edit videos or create high def images for the stream you will be much better off getting at least 32Gb of ram. The rest of you rig should handle streaming perfectly fine. when it comes down to the processor you will not notice much of a difference between the 4core or 6 core. Since they all have hyper-threading either one will handle things fine. It is not like you can stream at the full 1080p 60FPS anyway (since that really is only capable for partnered streamers). Everyone else pretty much covered everything, if you need any help or have any questions for streaming I am here.

My Rig
Intel I7-4790k Overclocked to 4.4Ghz
MSI Gaming 9 AC MotherBoard
nVidia GTX Titan Black (6144MB DDR5 dedicated memory)
16Gb Corsair vengeance 2133Mhz
Custom Water Cooling made by IBuyPower
2xSamsung EVO 500Gb
1x-2Tb WD Black HardDrive
IBuyPower Erebus GT-E3 case
Logitech G502,G35, G13, & C920 webcam

Ok, Thanks. I will definitely consider dropping down to a 4th gen i7. Do you have any extra knowledge regarding the different capture methods?

FealtyGaming

Non-Member
Aug 24, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
Ok, Thanks. I will definitely consider dropping down to a 4th gen i7. Do you have any extra knowledge regarding the different capture methods?
I personally just use the basic single rig. If you get to the level of being a partner streamer then yes it may be worth using a 2 rig set up. The single rig works fine with the limitations put on the non partner streamers. The double rig set up is basically so you can use 1 rig to play the game at max settings and the other to focus on taking that high def image and sending it out to the internet. Since the best non partner quality is 720p at a max of 30fps the double rig is just absolute overkill lol. You could do a dual video card set up with one working on the game and the other working on the stream... but with most games running hard on the processor this is not needed and it will not show a gigantic noticeable difference... other than the room being warmer from the double video cards lol. Since you are buying a new rig I would say the best thing to maximize is the Processor. Get the best one of those that you can and it will give you the best boost to streaming. Since streaming in and of itself runs heavy on the processor and you will need many many many programs open... the streamers best friend is a beast water cooled overclocked processor.

Gyorn

Clan Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
Have your questions been answered then? Or do you need further assistance?

Gyorn

Clan Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
Due to no response I'm moving this thread to our closed section then.
If you need further assistance, contact me or [MENTION=46290]Vex[/MENTION] directly or quote this post.

Greetings Gyorn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)