New anime for an old fan (1 Viewer)

David.Lynch

Clan Member
Oct 17, 2012
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I use to watch tons of anime when I was younger, and I still really enjoy some of the older ones for example Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop. I can't seem to find anything to grab my interest in the newer stuff that's coming out, and I was wondering if there are really any great ones that stand out that I may be missing? Hard to get back into anime with the newer stuff.

yulingg

Non-Member
Jun 5, 2015
If you haven't heard of one man punch watch it, it's only 13 episodes, but they are continuing into a second season. Or if you enjoy the fantasy of sword art online try Overlord. There were a ton of really good anime's this year, hell even blade and soul is a pretty decent anime. New digimon episodes got released this year as well which were REALLY well done.

I have the same issue, it's mostly the story and character development that draws me away from todays anime's.

Last edited:

Stickz

Apr 5, 2013
I use to watch tons of anime when I was younger, and I still really enjoy some of the older ones for example Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop. I can't seem to find anything to grab my interest in the newer stuff that's coming out, and I was wondering if there are really any great ones that stand out that I may be missing? Hard to get back into anime with the newer stuff.
Well you at least watched a lot of good older stuff. To be frank, a lot of the newer anime is very dry and uninteresting. But that doesn't mean there aren't good ones. If you were more specific around what you wanted, I could recommend a few things. Just a few things that I'm going to recommend regardless;

-Monogatari
-JoJos Bizzarre Adventure
-Steins;Gate
-Hunter x Hunter

I don't know what you're interested in, but almost everybody enjoys those. Also, from the post above this, I would also recommend One Punch Man, just because it's simple and fun. The animation is top notch and nothing as of recently can really compare it's fight scenes.

If you haven't heard of one man punch watch it, it's only 13 episodes, but they are continuing into a second season. Or if you enjoy the fantasy of sword art online try Overlord. There were a ton of really good anime's this year, hell even blade and soul is a pretty decent anime. New digimon episodes got released this year as well which were REALLY well done.

I have the same issue, it's mostly the story and character development that draws me away from todays anime's.
-One Punch Man, not One Man Punch

-There is no confirmed continuation of season two. There isn't even enough material to think that right now. Not sure where you got that.

-SAO is bad. Overlord was better given the genre.

-Blade & Soul, also bad.

Nothing really good this year. A few hidden goodies but most of them were bland and over-used plot lines, or unfaithful manga/LN adaptations. Queue: The usual.

If you're looking for story and character development, the most you're going to get out of this year would be something that is a continuation or a really good manga/LN adaptation. Unfortunately, really nothing new. I think Parasyte came out this year? Probably your best bet.

Last edited:

yulingg

Non-Member
Jun 5, 2015
I would agree with that and for the b&s comment I said decent.
One Punch Man has some ok parts in it, like you said lacking content for it to be a good series. character development however in it is ok. It's repetitive though. Take for example the boss fights I mean really, give the main character a challenge even the ending was pretty bland ><....
Not many anime's from what I've seen are on par with dbz, Tenchi Muyō, or the other really good gems. I'm waiting to see what 2016 will bring,because right now at least in the anime universe we could use something that's different.

Parasyte did come out this year in the US, toonami airs it late at night though.
I personally would like to see a remake of Tenchi Muyo!

Stickz

Apr 5, 2013
I would agree with that and for the b&s comment I said decent.
One Punch Man has some ok parts in it, like you said lacking content for it to be a good series. character development however in it is ok. It's repetitive though. Take for example the boss fights I mean really, give the main character a challenge even the ending was pretty bland ><....
Not many anime's from what I've seen are on par with dbz, Tenchi Muyō, or the other really good gems. I'm waiting to see what 2016 will bring,because right now at least in the anime universe we could use something that's different.

Parasyte did come out this year in the US, toonami airs it late at night though.
I personally would like to see a remake of Tenchi Muyo!
Blade & Soul wasn't even decent. It was just barely watchable past the third episode. And even then I only finished it because I had nothing better to do.

One Punch Man was one of the best things to happen this season. And you're missing the entire point of the series. Saitama isn't supposed to have a challenge. It's a gag webcomic, meaning that his fights are supposed to be how they are. The Boros fight was Saitama giving him what he's always wanted: A good fight. It was obvious given the same heart beat sound and music playing during Saitama's dream in the first episode. The Garou fight on the other hand is phenomenal and if they did a season two, will top anything given what they showed in the first season for their animation.

Dragonball Z, really? I know it's an old classic, but that doesn't make it close to anything good. It's the most shounen power-up, repetitive, insert a buzz word here show you can imagine. A character dies? Nope, dragon balls. It's not good, it's just a classic.

2016 is already looking dry too. Winter is shit, and from what we have in Fall, I can only hope Boku no hero academia is good.

Hedd

Clan Member
Jun 25, 2012
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
None of these. I could suggest a few things but I'd say none of those either. I've found the best suggestion to make is to peruse ANN or Animelist, find something that sounds kinda cool and then check out a trailer. Suggestion threads are nothing but people pitching their current favorite anime with no regard for your tastes because, frankly, they don't know your tastes. There's a suggestion section just for this reason. Better to browse then take something at face value here only to find it awful.

AngryMuffin

Non-Member
Dec 4, 2015
There are only two Animes you need to know about....Gate, and ONE PUNCH MAN. Gate is freaking AWESOME one of the best i have seen in a long time...breaks alot of the stero types in Anime..for one...the main character is not a high school boy...freaking amazing cant wait for second season to start, and one punch man is just a fun ride...very funny and extremely bad ass at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)