Closed: Network connection disconnect (1 Viewer)

ERoday

Non-Member
Aug 5, 2012
Computer:
CPU: Intel Core i7 880
Motherboard: ASUSTek P7P55D
Memory: DDR3 16 GB
Graphics: Nividia GeForce GTX 680 x 2 in SLI

Problem:

Random disconnects every 2 hours or so for about 2 to 3 minutes. Tried redoing OS, installing a new wifi card, hard wire connecting.

Modem is a "newer" Comcast modem with built in wifi. The problem doesn't happen on any other device in the house (eg. Iphone, Surface, other Laptops).

Just looking for any solutions you guys/gals have in mind. Thanks :)

ERoday

Non-Member
Aug 5, 2012
Connecting directly to the router via powerline adapters and then connecting using the wifi card. Double checking the that the drivers are up to date. Good suggestion, thanks.

Tr4xX

Clan Member
May 10, 2015
BC Canada
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Does anything else in your house use the internet over powerline adapters? depending on the wiring in your house there could be electrical interference that could be dropping your connection. If you have been using this for awhile and just started to happen have you added anything new like lights, touch lamps are the worst for this, night lights etc that are plugged into an outlet.

Gyorn

Clan Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
I've to second [MENTION=50552]Tr4xX[/MENTION]' argument. If you're using powerline adapters, that's not the same as LAN. There are a lot of possible interferences, most likely other electrical devices, especially those that're using PFC (Phase forward control). You'll have such a technique most likely if using lights that're dimmable.
Also you shouldn't use the adapter over a multiple outlet strip. Furthermore try to use them on the same electrical phase.

A pic to explain that a bit:

Vex

Vetted Officer
Jan 14, 2015
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Could be your network card alltogether maybe? I know when i was having this issue with an older PC it was the network card built into the mobo
[MENTION=1656]ERoday[/MENTION]: Is this still happening?

ERoday

Non-Member
Aug 5, 2012
Could be your network card alltogether maybe? I know when i was having this issue with an older PC it was the network card built into the mobo
[MENTION=1656]ERoday[/MENTION]: Is this still happening?
Yeah sadly it is

Gyorn

Clan Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
Yeah sadly it is
Just a few thoughts how you could monitor how often and when it happens:

internetconnectivitymonitor - Internet Connectivity Monitor periodically checks for a working internet connection, and generates a log. - Google Project Hosting
A very lightweight program that's customizable for the most important options.
You can play a sound and look in that moment what's happening with your connection.

You could also use the performance monitor to watch numerous data on your network connection (already built-in in Windows).
A general tutorial vid for that is here:
[video=youtube;eTu7OIkrMfY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTu7OIkrMfY[/video]

That said, I don't have an English version here so I can't say you the corresponding performance indicators.
Maybe can look further into it after work today.

ErkDog

Clan Member
Jun 7, 2015
Richmond, VA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
My suggestion is as follows:

Start - Run - type in cmd - OK

Open at least 2 of these.

ipconfig

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx is the IP of your comcast router.

In the 2nd window

ping 208.67.222.222

If you have a stable ping to your router, and not the 208 address, then the issue is with comcast modem/service.

If you do not have a stable ping to your router, then the issue is with the connection between your computer & the LAN/Router.

Last edited:

Vex

Vetted Officer
Jan 14, 2015
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
[MENTION=1656]ERoday[/MENTION]: Have you fixed this issue yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)