Resolved: Looking to get new gaming gear, advice? (1 Viewer)

Mizu

Clan Retired
Oct 24, 2013
Charleston, SC
Clan Rank
Retired Member
I have been comparing different accessories now that I am finished building my computer and was wondering what kind of gaming keyboards, mice, and headsets you all recommend. So far I am looking into getting a razor keyboard and mouse as well as a steel series headset.

What kind do you have? and why?

Ping

Vetted Officer
Jan 20, 2012
Kansas City
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Mouse:
I have a Razer Deathadder 3.5 and I like it, but sometimes I wish I had a few more keys to map. Other than that I love it. Its accurate enough for competative play but not the best of the best

I've always wanted to get a Madcatz Rat 7. Its just so customizable. I've heard it relatively accurate and has a snipe button to temporarily lower the DPI for sniper shots.

I would keep away from super high DPI mice 4000+. most people will never even need to use over 2000dpi even with a 2560x1440 monitor. with gaming, its all about the accuracy of the sensor(s).

Keyboard:

No matter what you get, get a mechanical keyboard and don't get a membrane keyboard. Mechanical KBs last longer and keep the same resistance. Best of all, they dont move on your desk when you are playing (meaning they are heavy)! The "click"/feel of mechanical keys are standardized by color of the mechanical switch inside (i.e. cherry Mx red, Cherry MX blue, Cherry Mx Brown, and Cherry MX Black). These are umong the most popular, and each type is edged towards different types of game-play. (Reference: Mechanical Keyboard Guide).

I have a Corsair K70 with MX reds; I love it. reds are light and linear (meaning limited "click" sound) and are great for fast multipress type gameplay (starcraft or FPS)
Vengeance® K70 Fully Mechanical Gaming Keyboard €” Anodized Black North American Key Layout - Gaming Keyboards - Gaming Peripherals

Headset:

Most people will tell you to get a Logitech G35 or G430? I have found that Turtle Beach makes a great headset (Z6A) if you have a discrete soundcard that supports true 5.1 surround sound. My headset has 4 speakers in each ear and unlike most surround sound headsets, its not virtual, its acually outputed to 3 headphone jacks.
EAR FORCE Z6A - Turtle Beach, Inc.

Rafiee

Vetted Officer
Apr 14, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
When it comes to mechanical keyboards, you should probably actually try one first before you buy one to make sure it's something you'll like. I have a membrane keyboard that's like 6 or 7 years old and still works great

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ping

Vetted Officer
Jan 20, 2012
Kansas City
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
They dont make em' like they used ta! :p Yeah Mech keyboards do take some getting used to, it took me about a week to switch, but now, i hate my work keyboard even though it is better than most.

When it comes to mechanical keyboards, you should probably actually try one first before you buy one to make sure it's something you'll like. I have a membrane keyboard that's like 6 or 7 years old and still works great

Rafiee

Vetted Officer
Apr 14, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
I'm sure I'll look into getting one when the time comes. Not sure how much longer this thing will last

Jester

Jun 23, 2012
US
Don't buy into the razer hype. That's my only advice.

In fact, I would even go so far as to say don't listen to anyone give you advice on the topic. Use whatever is comfortable to you. If that means a track ball mouse with a membrane keyboard and ear buds, go for it. Comfort is far more important than having 79 macro buttons, media keys, LEDs etc.

The only advice I can give you is that. Go to a store (Fry's Electronics is great) and just type around on the keyboards there and move the mice and all that. When you find something comfortable, get it.

Aug

Clan Leader
Mar 10, 2010
Compuserve HQ
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
As far as mice go, you need to figure out how you hold it first. Are you the palming type? or the claw grip kind? or somewhere in the middle? I do the claw grip, so I like the higher ridge type mice, like the Corsair Vengeance M65, or the RAT 7 mouse. I happen to be using a Steel Series mouse that is longer and flatter. It was on sale. It works for me, but i like the other kind better.

As far as keyboards, the Mech keyboards are def the future. Built for gaming, and are just amazing. Price wise...the membrane keyboards are easier on the wallet, lol.

Headset wise, you have to decide how much you want to spend. There are so many choices, you might need to test them out for yourself. See which one is comfy, and sounds the best.

Jester

Jun 23, 2012
US
I have the Corsair Vengeance K95 keyboard with red switches and I like it. It fits my need. Did you get a chance to try out the different switches? The switch type is far more important than the brand.

Aug

Clan Leader
Mar 10, 2010
Compuserve HQ
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
I've never used the keyboard, so i can't comment much on that aside from I've heard good things. The mouse is awesome. I loved it, but it got stolen /cry. I use the A40's at home, and I love them!! Mine were free, because I am a super lucky bastard and got them from a drawing from MLG Dallas back in 2012. Not sure if you are set on that 22', but if you are wanting a little bit bigger screen try Newegg.com - AOC E2425SWD Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor 250 cd/m2 20,000,000:1. 24' for a few bucks more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)