LoN Bombardment build for Crusader (1 Viewer)

DurandaL

Vetted Officer
May 7, 2015
NYC
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
At the time of this writing, the highest GR belongs to the crusader (86) and a Legacy of Nightmare build. Partially because every item needs to be ancient in order to receive the full bonus from the rings, they're still remains the lot of flexibility in the build even down to the choice of gems and skills. Personally, I've enjoyed the challenge and wanted to share what I had learned.

SKILLS
This link will provide the basic setup ----> Skill Calculator

For skills, Shield Glare (Divine Verdict) can be replaced by Consecration (Bed of Nails) depending on preference.
The other possible passives include Fervor and Long Arm of the Law and I will explain the choice in the following sections

COOLDOWN
Bombardment is the main damage dealer in this build and while the 60 second cool down may seem excessive, it is possible to get it under 20 seconds with the Lord Commander passive and stacking Cooldown to 61.56%. That number is key because it allows you to time each bombardment with the physical cycle on your convention of elements. That means that with a perfect Leoric's crown and a Diamond socketed, you still need near perfect cool down on all items expect the belt (pants, boots and bracers can not roll cooldown)

The Fervor passive allows for some wiggle room though. If you can not meet the cooldown with gear alone, you will need to sacrifice another passive for it. At lower levels, indestructible is the obvious choice. As you push higher though the sacrifice is harder ... unless you have a well rolled ancient Hellfire amulet.

GEMS

Bane of the trapped and Boyarsky's Chip are the 2 obvious choices for Legendary gems. The third will depend on toughness and preference. At the moment the top 10 players go with one of the following:

Bane of the powerful may seem like a strange choice but it only takes a few volleys to kill most elites making Bane of the Stricken less useful. If survivability is the biggest issue and it (and will be with this build), then Esoteric alteration is perfectly viable

The same rules applies to what gems to socket in gear; go with what you need. Rubies for damage and Diamonds for toughness

TOUGHNESS

When fully optimized, LoN will provide 52% damage mitigation and Aquila Cuirass will provide another 50% but the lack of a justice latern and any substantial blocking can leave you feeling squishy. Besides sacrificing some damage for toughness with Gems, it is also possible to use that 5th passive slot for Long arm of the Law, extending the duration of Laws of Justice (immovable object) to a full 10 seconds. While not quite 100% uptime, its close.

KANAI'S CUBE

The Mortal Drama

Aquila Cuirass or The Heart of Iron

Convention of Elements

PLAY STYLE

It is all about the timing and hitting the right cycle. Iron skin is not a defensive tool in this build, instead multiplying the damage of your bombardments but it has to be activated first. Triggering Iron Skin mid-bombardment does not change the damage.. The next key is to timing your attack with the physical cycle on your convention of elements. The damage from CoE is dynamic and you will miss out on the multiplicative boost as soon as the cycle ends.

Steed Charge is used to aggro mobs to gather them, to avoid taking damage and deal extra damage when needed. When fully geared and at lower levels, you should be able to simply ride through mobs to kill them (T10) which is why a Swift mount is essential for the speed farming variation.

I would recommend watching Alkaizer's guide to fully grasp the play style. He may not always be charismatic, but I would give him credit for the build ...
[Guide] GR Lon Bombardment Crusader - YouTube

Last edited:

DurandaL

Vetted Officer
May 7, 2015
NYC
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
ALL ITEMS NEED TO BE ANCIENT
in order to receive the full bonus form he Legacy of Nightmare set rings
(damage dealt increased by 100% for each ancient item and damage taken reduced by 4%)

HELM - Leoric’s Crown

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • All Resist
  • Socket - Diamond
*Can not roll Thorns on this item

CHEST ARMOR - Aquila Cuirass or Heart of Iron

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • Bombardment Damage
  • 3 Sockets - Ruby
  • Thorns

PANTS - Hexing Pants of Mr Yan

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • All Resist
  • 2 Socket - Ruby
  • Thorns
*The build can function without meaning you can upgrade this last but the damage boost is essential if you want to push higher. Pox Faulds is a good alternative

BOOTS - Illusory Boots

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • All Resist
  • Movement
  • Thorns
*While these are best in slot because the free movement works so well with the Hexing pants there are other good options including Ice Climbers (Immunity to freeze and Immobilize effects)

RINGS - The Wailing host and Litany of the Undaunted

• Strength
  • Vitality or Area Damage
  • Cooldown
  • Socket
*No Alternative. The entire build is based on these rings

BELTS - Belt of the Trove

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • All Resist
  • Life
  • Thorns
*Best in slot will also roll with 6 second on Bombardment call down

GLOVES - St. Archew’s Gage

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • All Resist or Area Damage
  • Cooldown
  • Thorns
*The defensive property of the gloves synergies well with the massive health in the build and is key to surviving higher GRs. Stone gauntlets is a decent replacement though

BRACERS - Nemesis Bracers

• Physical Damage
  • Strength
  • Vitality
  • All Resist
  • Thorns
*The massive burst damage means killing elite is the best tactic and made even easier when combined with the pylon bonus. Other bracers that can be substituted early on include Sanguinary Vambraces

SHOULDERS - Burden of the Invoker

• Strength
  • Vitality or Area Damage
  • Cooldown
*Plenty of shoulder options but the invoker has the advantage of rolling with good thorns damage, as does Death Watch Mantle. Other options interesting options include Pauldrons of the Skeleton King

SHIELD - Lidless Wall

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • Cooldown
  • Physical Damage
  • Area Damage
*Lidless Wall is the favored option because it can roll with Physical damage but unlike other shields, it can not roll Bombardment Damage meaning other shields can be competitive. Other options include Defender of Westmarch (5 primary slots) and Hallowed Bulwark (good passive)

AMULET - Hellfire Amulet

• Physical Damage
  • Strength
  • Cooldown
  • Socket
  • Thorns
*immunity amulets are a decent second option but the extra passive is too good to not make it best in slot

Last edited:

DurandaL

Vetted Officer
May 7, 2015
NYC
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer

WEAPON

. . .
. . . . .
. . .

Doombringer or Swiftmount or Sunkeeper

• Strength
  • Vitality
  • Cooldown
  • Area Damage
  • Physical Damage or Elite Damage if Possible
  • Socket - Topaz
*This might be the most flexible slot as there no longer seems to be a best in slot weapon. More important are the stats

SPEED FARMING

LoN Bombardment makes for a great speed farming build with a few minor adjustments. I'll discuss the various options and then list at least 2 different combinations but use what works best for you.

+

In Geom and Swiftmount

In Geom - The unique property of that sword will reset the cooldown on bombardment meaning you can use it an unlimited amount on elite packs. Even running one of them in the cube instead of the Mortal Drama, an attack cycle (Iron Skin then Bombardment) should be enough damage to kill anything on T10 including the rift guardian. If you are doing Ubers, equip In Geom and keep the Mortal Drama in the cube as no movement speed bonus is needed.

Swiftmount - This one handed flail will keep Steed Charge up 100% of the time, even when In Geom is not active, dealing enough damage to kill any white mobs you ride through while granting a huge boost in movement speed.

The +35% damage from Akarat's Champion and immunity to impair affects make it too good to replace but the defensive (Prophet) runeis not needed at T10 and can be replaced with either the (Fire Starter) rune if the white mobs are not dying on first contact when using Steed Charge or with (Rally) for an extra cooldown reset.

<
or

No defensive Laws are needed on T10 so it can be replaced with Laws of Hope (Wings of Angels) for the extra movement speed or with Consecration (Bed of Nails) for an extra damage dealer.

or
or

As for Legendary Gems, it's pretty simple: You have to keep Boyarski's Chip and Bane of the Trapped but there is some choice with the 3d gem.

if you feel you are not doing enough damage, use Bane of the Powerful, If you want to maintain damage but want more movement speed, use Wreath of Lighting. Alternatively you can use Boon of the Hoarder along with an Avarice Band in the cube to farm more gold and increase movement speed.

Since the defensive minded St Archew's Gage are not needed in T10, Gloves of Worship, which drop from Act 2 caches are a solid addition this farming build and synergies well In Geom and Nemesis Bracers.

Because of the defensive nature of Aquilas Curass, it can be switched for another Chest piece. This means it's possible to use a Goldwrap for farming gold or use a Broken Crown in the cube to farm gems. It's worth noting that a 6 second Belt of the Trove is incredibly effective for speed farming as it will clear a screens worth of white mobs.

GEM FARMING

+
+
+
+
+
+
+

Swiftmount equipped / In Geom in the cube / Heart of Iron equipped / Broken Crown in the cube / Gloves of Worship equipped / Boyarski's Chip + Bane of the Trapped + Bane of the Powerful
Akarat's Champion (Fire Starter) / Consecration (Bed of Nails) instead of a law

FULL DPS FARMING

+
+
+
+
+
+
+

In Geom equipped / Mortal Drama in the Cube / Aquilas Curass and Heart of Iron / Gloves or Worship equipped / Boyarski's Chip + Bane of the Trapped + Wreath of Lighting
Akarat's Champion (Rally) + Laws of Hope (Wings of Angels)

* as with any Legacy of Nightmare build, gear is assumed to be ancient.

Last edited:

codenamev

Non-Member
Jan 19, 2016
Just a note, Doombringer is the weapon for doing higher grifts, while farming rifts and bounties a Swiftmount or In Geom are better.

But great guide, I play a LoN sader and I'm having a blast!

Emisary

Non-Member
Jan 10, 2016
This doesn't look like that bad of a build. I've seen another build for LoN that only one person has thought of. I'm not going to ruin the fun of posting it, I'll let him decide if he wants to or not. Personally I've been trying to gear a second wizard to see what a fire LoN build does.

Shadow_Demon

Clan Member
Nov 9, 2015
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Great guide :) Simple and easy to follow :)

DurandaL

Vetted Officer
May 7, 2015
NYC
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
Just a note, Doombringer is the weapon for doing higher grifts, while farming rifts and bounties a Swiftmount or In Geom are better.

But great guide, I play a LoN sader and I'm having a blast!
I've been using a swift mount for speed farming with huge success and that's despite the fact that I am still missing a fair amount of damage

DurandaL

Vetted Officer
May 7, 2015
NYC
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
not fully geared at the moment but still cleared a 74 today using this build. At the moment, that's best GR solo clear for anyone in Fever 2 and is best crusader clear in Fever 1 (can't check for highest solo).

Since there haven't really been any questions, I plan to add a speed farming guide in the 3d post

Wooot

Clan Member
Jan 15, 2016
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
What about a guide on a build for crusader 4 man groups? A guy in teamspeak wants to only play crusader, but he can't get a 4 man group.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)