Closed: Linux Users? (1 Viewer)

Deacon

Non-Member
Jun 25, 2012
Hey Does anyone here use Linux on a regular basis, more specifically Debian Based Distros?
I'm working on a new Linux Distros and was looking for a few tips/tricks if anyone has some to share.

Semper Fi,
-Deacon

Drag

Vetted Officer
Sep 30, 2013
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
I've used Debian and Debian based distributions in the past but currently I am only working with Arch Linux and CentOS.
Is there anything specific you'd like to know? I can't think of any tips/tricks right now.

Deacon

Non-Member
Jun 25, 2012
I bought a cheap computer to play around with Linux
Windows 8 UEFI, Changed into Bios Legacy and Netbooted into Archlinux, I want to transition into Kali Linux from Arch. However I can't seem to get a bootable Kali USB, or a get a netboot working for Kali... ( Following Kali Linux Network PXE Install | Kali Linux Official Documentation Instructions)

Can you explain how i can get a ipxe netboot working or any ideas on how to get Kali going?

-Deacon

Drag

Vetted Officer
Sep 30, 2013
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
[MENTION=358]Deacon[/MENTION]
I've never done a PXE install so I can't really help you with that, I can just give you a link to another tutorial that maybe works:
Kali Linux Unattended PXE Install

I assume you don't have a CD/DVD drive?

I've written a tutorial on how to create a bootable USB drive from which you can mount iso images but it requires Windows.
Bootable Pen Drive with Grub4DOS, FreeDOS and ISO Images (e.g. UBCD) - Black-Pixel

You could also try UNetbootin:
Using UNetbootin to create a Linux USB from Linux | USB Pen Drive Linux

Ping

Vetted Officer
Jan 20, 2012
Kansas City
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
I'm assuming your new "cheap" system is going to be your PXE server, which will host your image. This machine will need to be booted up in order to serve your Kali image to other machines. After it is set you can then boot any other system on your network to the image via PXE boot. is this your end goal? If you are at step one and dont have the base image installed of KALI on your new nachine then you probably need to do that first (which is here).

So in short, the idea to use PXE assumes you have at least a PXE server, THEN a PXE client to boot to. So step one is install kali via burning the ISO image to a USB or liveCD (link above), booting from that image or applying that image to a hard drive, then running the build, After you get that running you can then run the kali pxe server installation instructions.

PXE boot is pretty neat if you can get it as a functional server. This idea behind this is that any system on your network can boot from a Kali image then apply the instructions listed @ Kali Linux Network PXE Install | Kali Linux Official Documentation. Those instructions need to be tapered to your LAN so you'll definitely need some router info inserted in the IP fields. without this info you're router is going to be fighting dhcp on your dnsmasq daemon to asign IPs.

TL;DR PXE is server client based image distribution. I think what you actually want to do is have your new machine with an image of kali, again which is following Kali Linux Hard Disk Install | Kali Linux Official Documentation and that's it.

Deacon

Non-Member
Jun 25, 2012
I've decided to play with Arch for now.

Archlinux provides a Netboot server for people to boot off of as a base system. I was trying to get a Kali system to do the same. Everytime I've tried to download the Kali ISO to make a bootable USB drive the ISO "completes" the download at about 50% of actual size. So I got a buddy to download it to a usb at full size and is mailing me the usb and Will work off of that. The Cheap system is the system intended to be used to play around with linux.

Right now, I am at Archlinux with Openbox Window Manager and Slim Login Manager. So far so good...

-Deacon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Closed: Learning Linux basics Closed Support Cases 10
Chaves Closed: Users from country not working Closed Support Cases 16