Leveling Strategies for Season 5!! (1 Viewer)

Vlaru

Vetted Officer
Aug 3, 2015
Twin Cities, MN
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Leveling Strategies for Season 5!!

Fastest Way to Level to 70
Difficulty: Hard primarily, though if you get some good weapons and can kill things quickly on Master or T1, go for it. DO NOT CHOOSE EXPERT, it is broken and a waste of your time. It's better to kill Hard super fast, or be just a little slow on Master/Torment (but not too slow).

Level Progression:
1. Pre-game Preparation. I'd recommend forming a group before the launch happens. You can work this out on your own or just show up on TeamSpeak early and we will get you into a group. There will be a lot more rooms in TS for the launch weekend, and we will also be utilizing both in-game clans. Also, before you start, map out what skills you will choose as you level. Keep it simple because you will level fast and you don't want to waste time changing your skills every level. If you are unsure, there are guides out there that you can download - Just google it. I've posted a couple below:
2. Level 1, steal follower weapon with most damage (usually templar)
3. Starting Killing Stuff!! PRO TIP (Thanks [MENTION=53975]Muldred[/MENTION]): Stick together in your group!! Multiplayer experience bonus plus the damage from multiple players scales faster than the monster health and damage. Work together!!! There are three options for what to kill:
  • 3a. Start on MASTER and go kill a boss bounty like Zoltun Kulle. Will get you to level 4 and give you Diabolic Hoard chest with lots of yellows. Then one of the other methods below.
  • 3b. Story/Campaign mode to just before Leoric (Royal Crypts). This is in preparation for getting Leoric's crown at lvl 20 and is not a bad option to start with because the mobs will be low level and you might be able to run past most of them. You could do this on normal and even split it up (one in town, others running to different components) to make it go super fast.
  • 3c. Nephalem Rifts, all night long. Best EXP and best gear for the time you spend and no requirements to start.
  • 3d. Halls of Agony and (Act 1) Cursed Chest bounties. Some (e.g., Rhykker) have said that is more efficient than rifts because rifts density is unpredictable. Some have suggested killing the Butcher if he is a bounty for the Horadric Cache loot. The downside with HoA and CC bounties is you have to remake the game roughly every 10 - 20 minutes, depending on how fast you can clear it.
4. Level 6 start looking for rings with +damage at fence vendors (don't make special trips, just check it out when you go back to sell/turn in, etc.)
5. Level 11 start looking for amulets with +damage at fence vendors (don't make special trips)
6. Level 20ish start a Story/Campaign game and get Leoric's Crown. Comes with a socket and gives 75 - 100% bonus to gem's effect (put in a ruby for EXP)
7. Back to Rifts or HoA/CC Bounties
8. Level 42 try to craft level 60 weapon with reduced level requirement (max 18). Don't reroll it (too expensive), just craft another.
9. Level 61 max blacksmith (requires death's breath) and craft level 70 weapon with reduced level requirement.
10. Rift Rift Rift or HoA/CC Bounties
11. Level 70 - Win [MENTION=39429]heybob[/MENTION]'s (soon to be posted) contest.
12. New to Season 5 is the journey rewards (first level 70 character only). Check your mail, you will get a bag containing the first two pieces of a set. (Thanks [MENTION=59939]hybrid461[/MENTION]) Here is a great video talking about leveling in general but specifically about how to use Haedrig's gift the most efficiently: How to Gear in Season 5 - Diablo 3 Guide for Patch 2.4 "Haedrig's Gift" - YouTube

The class sets offered in Season 5 are:
  • Barbarian: Might of the Earth
  • Crusader: Thorns of the Invoker
  • Demon Hunter: The Shadows Mantle
  • Monk: Monkey Kings Garb
  • Witch Doctor: Raiment of the Jade Harvester
  • Wizard: Firebirds Finery
13. (Optional) Get Kanai's cube and do bonus cache bounties to put items in the Cube.
14. Use Puzzle Rings and Bovine Bardiches
15. Rift Rift Rift Grift
15. Once your have some gear, kill Zoltun Kulle in Act 2 on Torment 2, and get the 4pc for the set. (Thanks [MENTION=59939]hybrid461[/MENTION])
16. Run a level 20 greater rift (might have to be solo) and complete it in the timeframe for the 6pc. (Thanks [MENTION=59939]hybrid461[/MENTION])

2H weapon crafting: Crafting a 2H weapon at specific levels can really jump your DPS. Things to know: Weapons from about 50 - 60 can roll with a secondary "Level Requirement Reduced by 2 - 10" which can seriously increase your DPS. It is easier to reroll these if you happen to get crowd control (e.g., Chance to stun) as one of your secondaries because this reduces the number of options to 3 or maybe 4 (instead of 12-15 without CC already on it). Also, you can get much higher level reduction requirements on 61+ items, but you can't level up the blacksmith to make them until you get death's breath (drops at 61+) so as soon as you get DBs, jump straight to crafting a level 70 weapon and get level reduction on it.

Not maxed to 23, but shows you can get the weapon lvl down below 40 - but you need Death's Breath to get the blacksmith high enough to craft it (61+).

Here's a list of when nice 2H weapons recipes:

Level Two Handers (Most classes can use these, including Wiz and WD)
8 Two_handed Axe
15 Two_handed Sword
16 Two_handed Axe
19 Two_handed Sword
21 Two_handed Axe
23 Two_handed Sword
27 Two_handed Sword
29 Two_handed Axe
32 Two_handed Sword
33 Two_handed Axe
37 Two_handed Axe
38 Two_handed Sword
41 Two_handed Axe
44 Two_handed Sword
50 Two_handed Axe
54 Two_handed Axe
55 Two_handed Sword
57 Two_handed Sword (level reduced by 2 - 10)
58 Two_handed Axe (level reduced by 2 - 10)
61 Two_handed Axe (level reduced by 2 - 23) but requires Death's Breath (drops at 61+) to get Blacksmith Leveled
61 Two_handed Sword (level reduced by 2 - 23) but requires Death's Breath (drops at 61+) to get Blacksmith Leveled
70 Two_handed Mace (level reduced by 2 - 30) but requires Death's Breath (drops at 61+) to get Blacksmith Leveled

Level Staves (Barbs cannot use Staff)
18 Staff
22 Staff
26 Staff
35 Staff
40 Staff
42 Staff
47 Staff
52 Staff
56 Staff (level reduced by 2 - 10)
61 Staff (level reduced by 2 - 23) but requires Death's Breath (drops at 61+) to get Blacksmith Leveled
70 Two_handed Mace (level reduced by 2 - 30) but requires Death's Breath (drops at 61+) to get Blacksmith Leveled

Level Bows
5 Hand Crossbow (maybe)
8 Bows
12 Bows
15 Crossbow
18 Bows
23 Bows
25 Crossbow
29 Crossbow
30 Bows
32 Crossbow
34 Bows
36 Crossbow
40 Bows
42 Crossbow
47 Bows
50 Crossbow
54 Bows
55 Crossbow (level reduced by 2 - 10)
58 Crossbow (level reduced by 2 - 10)
61 Crossbow (level reduced by 2 - 23) but requires Death's Breath (drops at 61+) to get Blacksmith Leveled
70 Crossbow (level reduced by 2 - 30) but requires Death's Breath (drops at 61+) to get Blacksmith Leveled

V

DISCLAIMER: This is heavily influenced from my previous post for Season 4, but I've upgraded it based on changes and tips people have provided. That said, if you know of something cool and useful, or have any good tips, please post and I'll be sure to update this main guide. I especially would like to know if the winners from last season's contest have any secrets they'd be willing to share :D [MENTION=50016]Progenitus[/MENTION] [MENTION=48131]blonky[/MENTION] [MENTION=53975]Muldred[/MENTION]

Last edited:

hybrid461

Clan Member
Dec 11, 2015
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Recommended difficulty for leveling: hard. It is the most XP efficient. The idea is to keep moving and kill mobs quickly. You will probably be slower at the start, and will speed up as you get gear and skills. Increase the difficulty if you find it much quicker after getting a legendary. You can likely set the difficulty to master once you get a lvl 60 one hander at 42+.

Skills: There are some specific guides per class. Make sure to have something to boost your movement, and some AOE based skills.

Once your Level 70:
1. New to Season 5 is the journey rewards (first level 70 character only). Check your mail, you will get a bag containing the first two pieces of a set.
2. Do some more rifts to get some level 70 legendaries.
3. Once your have some gear kill Zultan Kulle in act 2 on Torment 2, and get the 4pc for the set.
4. Run a level 20 greater rift (might have to be solo) and complete it in the timeframe for the 6pc.

Vlaru

Vetted Officer
Aug 3, 2015
Twin Cities, MN
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Recommended difficulty for leveling: hard. It is the most XP efficient. The idea is to keep moving and kill mobs quickly. You will probably be slower at the start, and will speed up as you get gear and skills. Increase the difficulty if you find it much quicker after getting a legendary. You can likely set the difficulty to master once you get a lvl 60 one hander at 42+.

Skills: There are some specific guides per class. Make sure to have something to boost your movement, and some AOE based skills.

Once your Level 70:
1. New to Season 5 is the journey rewards (first level 70 character only). Check your mail, you will get a bag containing the first two pieces of a set.
2. Do some more rifts to get some level 70 legendaries.
3. Once your have some gear kill Zultan Kulle in act 2 on Torment 2, and get the 4pc for the set.
4. Run a level 20 greater rift (might have to be solo) and complete it in the timeframe for the 6pc.
These are great!!! I will also add that you do NOT want to be on Expert because the bonus to XP does not scale properly (normal 100%, hard 175%, expert 200%, master 300%) but the monster health and damage does. In other words, you fight harder monsters for less experience - Skip it. If you can't quite handle master, do Hard as [MENTION=59939]hybrid461[/MENTION] suggests. Also, if your group picks up a legendary weapon as you are leveling, you may be able to leave game and up the difficulty to torment for at least a little while. Don't forget, even if you make it too difficult, you can lower the difficulty without leaving game; but you can't raise it. Shoot high and drop it down as stuff gets too slow to kill. I'll let some others comment and then update the main post.

V

Shadow_Demon

Clan Member
Nov 9, 2015
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Great work guys!!!!! Love it!!!!! Hope everyone has fun as i will be a week behind once i actually get to play it!!

Infringer

Non-Member
Nov 30, 2015
when is it coming out?

Infringer

Non-Member
Nov 30, 2015
I miss d3, but just got bored

Bloodmorphed

Clan Member
Jul 10, 2015
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
New season starts January 15th.

On a side note: Bounties might be a thing to level now, the arcadey combos and all now.

wacsd41

Clan Member
Nov 12, 2015
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
thanks v and hybrid, some really good info there. I personally didn't know about the stuff that hybrid added

blonky

Mar 5, 2015
[MENTION=52940]Bloodmorphed[/MENTION] Arcadeys combos?? I have no idea what that even is haha, if its something that will increase the xp or increase your killin speed then yeah however you lose a lot of time doing bounties if you get stuck trying to find one. I have missed a lot of stuff however since I haven't been around fro the end of season 4 or the PTR at all so I am missing a lot of stuff, been lots of changes that I have no idea about. When does the PTR end?

Havok

Non-Member
Feb 11, 2015
Virginia
This is some great info. Thanks [MENTION=53735]Vlaru[/MENTION] and [MENTION=59939]hybrid461[/MENTION].

On a side note: Bounties might be a thing to level now, the arcadey combos and all now.
[MENTION=52940]Bloodmorphed[/MENTION] Arcadeys combos?? I have no idea what that even is haha, if its something that will increase the xp or increase your killin speed then yeah however you lose a lot of time doing bounties if you get stuck trying to find one.
I'm not sure what the arcadey combos is either. Did you mean split bounties in groups, Bloodmorphed? I can see split bounties being some fast xp, because you keep those completion bonuses coming pretty frequently. I've never tried it for leveling though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)