Discussion: Japanese Government Enforcing Anti-Piracy Law on Anime and Manga (1 Viewer)

Stickz

Apr 5, 2013
"In 2012 Japanese government enacted a bill that punished both people who uploaded copyright infringing material and people who downloaded the material. The jail sentence can be as long as two years for downloading copyright infringing material and as long as 10 years for uploading it."

More...

Well, anybody who torrents, expect it to not be available pretty soon here. I also here that mangapanda will be getting shut down, and a little more manga websites. I hope not every single one is shut down, because that means we have to rely on sub-reddits to start translating for us. I highly doubt that they will kill everything though..

IB

Vetted Member
Dec 26, 2011
Sburb
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Heads up

Edit: Hope this is fake! At least batoto isnt listed on there... the list has youtube and crunchyroll on the full pdf Lol!

Anyway how would they get the manga and anime removed from rapidshare or mega? Scare tactics.
Yeah IMO this shouldn't be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Stickz

Apr 5, 2013
Heads up

Edit: Hope this is fake! At least batoto isnt listed on there... the list has youtube and crunchyroll on the full pdf Lol!

Anyway how would they get the manga and anime removed from rapidshare or mega? Scare tactics.
Yeah IMO this shouldn't be taken seriously.
I'll see where they go with it, but for now It's got me worried. Especially seeing the list now. But then again, why would they shut down crunchyroll? They always have been pretty good about keeping their shit legal.

Hedd

Clan Member
Jun 25, 2012
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I've already dug through the details. It's targeting foreign streaming sights with a focus on China in particular who has several sites similar to Crunchyroll that charge but aren't approved. They've already been busting blatant RAW uploaders for awhile now but hasn't effected fansubs at all really. While seeming like a united effort, many are curious to see what anyone can actually do officially. It's highly possible it's yet another posturing maneuver before elections to make up for it's aggressive stance on censorship of late and ultimately means nothing in the long run. Another theory is the government is making an attempt at covering their "dirty laundry" hentai and ero anime by preventing it from leaving the country. Keep in mind that as a one off, they've proposed to launch their own streaming site. Governments involved in anime streaming.....evil evil. Sounds like a shake down to me.

If I believed everything a politician said, I'd be a very sad person.

IB

Vetted Member
Dec 26, 2011
Sburb
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
I'll see where they go with it, but for now It's got me worried. Especially seeing the list now. But then again, why would they shut down crunchyroll? They always have been pretty good about keeping their shit legal.
On another note
I wouldn't mind crunchyroll being shut down
the death of shitty subs
that require paid subscription

Stickz

Apr 5, 2013
On another note
I wouldn't mind crunchyroll being shut down
the death of shitty subs
that require paid subscription
I Would. They have pretty good subs, and you have to pay because of the quality. I'm not upset with them or their service.

Hedd

Clan Member
Jun 25, 2012
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Crunchyroll is signed and legal. It won't be affected directly. See prior statement. If CR is affected at all, it will be due to that gov streaming project I mentioned.

IB

Vetted Member
Dec 26, 2011
Sburb
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
I Would. They have pretty good subs, and you have to pay because of the quality. I'm not upset with them or their service.
But they have poor translation and westernize stuff too much!

edit: aren't horriblesubs cr rips (yes)

Last edited:

TwiTNiT

Non-Member
Jun 26, 2014
I get that Japan is trying to get rid of piracy, but the cost of media is too high there. I think that should be taken care of before they pass laws like this.

Stickz

Apr 5, 2013
But they have poor translation and westernize stuff too much!

edit: aren't horriblesubs cr rips (yes)
I don't see the translation issues, nor do I see them westernizing stuff too much. I understand they promote a lot of figures and such, but I don't see the issue. People have to make money, and that's their way of doing it. If you ran the website, I would like to know how you would do it.

I get that Japan is trying to get rid of piracy, but the cost of media is too high there. I think that should be taken care of before they pass laws like this.
Not sure of the actual costs, but I can picture it's high. A lot of artists put a shit ton of time in writing their series though. I know that Oda, the writer of One Piece, has almost quit because he only slept for 2-3 hours a night and the rest of his life was coming up with the storyline and then drawing it out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chaves Discussion: Japanese Animators and Obama-sama Anime/Manga 3
elxipolis COMMON JAPANESE TERMS IN ANIME Anime/Manga 8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)