International ranked system?

Piehat

Non-Member
Mar 30, 2016
OH
What does everyone thing about it? Anyone play it yet? I think it seems worth a shot to recalibrate your mmr and lesson the E pen of the people who think they should have higher mmr and let people who do deserve higher mmr a chance with the 40 games. I think that's definitely a good amount to see someone fall or raise but it feels like we are now blizzard with the whole seasonal thing.

Apr 10, 2016
Matinkyl, Espoo
What does everyone thing about it? Anyone play it yet? I think it seems worth a shot to recalibrate your mmr and lesson the E pen of the people who think they should have higher mmr and let people who do deserve higher mmr a chance with the 40 games. I think that's definitely a good amount to see someone fall or raise but it feels like we are now blizzard with the whole seasonal thing.
I have a few old friends from WC3 who have garbage tier MMR compared to their skill. For example a guy called Joni, his party MMR is closer to 5k and he is definately up there as a good player, he just can't be bothered to raise his solo rank from 3,2k.

So this way i can see it being very beneficial, however this might also invite some exploiting for account buyers etc. Hopefully it won't come to that, it's a smart system IMO.

pinkman

Non-Member
May 1, 2015
Timisoara, Romania
I don't think it is worth exploiting because they need to pay for the compendiums, so it is pretty safe. If they wanna sell high ranked accounts they just create new accounts, so there won't be smurfs in the international ranked games I believe.
Havent started yet, but I want to do the 40 games too. I have two accounts and after finishing the calibration, my 2nd account is around 2.8k while my main account is at 1.7k MMR. Did the calibration for it back when I started playing dota so I never got high in terms of MMR, most I had for solo ranked was 2.3 I believe.

Junior

Non-Member
Feb 19, 2016
the new calibration is so much harder now than it was many years ago. you need to be really low mmr to benefit on the new calibration. Take singsing, he is 6-7k mmr player but when he played to recalibrate he only got 4.5k i think maybe lower im not sure

Aug 6, 2015
Germany
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I stated this in an other thread but I will do this again to explain the new calibration.

It's the same as the old calibration, it takes your Normal non ranked games MMR as a starting point. Then adds and removes points in the next 10 games

=> Your new MMR is == to your Normal Game MMR +/- 10 games MMR points

Sing Sing is just shit in Normal games cause that is where he plays for fun testing and trolling. No one really plays to increase their Normal MMR but that is what your Season MMR will be based on. Some people say there is a cap at 5k MMR but I just think the MMR values and Normal Games are generally much lower in Normal games and still remain hidden. No one really tries to max his hidden MMR so it spreads more evenly.

Junior

Non-Member
Feb 19, 2016
i doubt it works like that, normal mmr also know as hidden mmr is different to ranked mmr. my rank mmr is classed as very high skill games, however when i play normal its classed as high skill. there is more to the mmr system than it looks. may be wrong but fairly sure its different.

Piehat

Non-Member
Mar 30, 2016
OH
It doesn't matter anyway, game mode is a joke. Played 10 games solo and no one took it seriously. Lost most of my games got 3.3k mmr.

Luke

Non-Member
Jun 8, 2013
Oregon
I've had issues with international ranked. The initial 10 games had EVERYONE in it when the compendiums first came out and so some peoples mmr is super low or inflated.

Xalitus

Non-Member
Apr 17, 2016
I can confirm its a re calibration that takes into account your unranked mmr but isn't solely dependent on that. Smurfed on my friends 1.1k account (he is very noob, def 1k in unranked also) and got him recalibrated at 2.3k. It wouldnt match me with teams with an average MMR above 2.2k despite winning and wrecking face so I think its capped based on your hidden MMR. For people who dont play a lot of ranked its probably a good way to re calibrate if you have improved a lot.

Keep in mind you can't recalibrate above 4-4.5k no matter how good you play, its capped there. And since dota is a team game there is only so much you as one player can do. Supposedly calibration takes things into account other than winning, such as K/D/R, GPM, XPM. But if your team sucks those values are going to suffer.

Aug 6, 2015
Germany
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Mr. Smuggels here is summing up information he found from different sources, be advice this is still not and there is till this date no exact explanation how calibration of Ranked MMR really works.
The Science Behind your Skill Calibration. :: DOTAFire

So what he draw as conclusion is that your Calibration could get you much higher (around 1 k MMR), then the 10 games + the MMR gained/lost from them, but only if you start a new account and do really well with it, but do not go above 3,3 k.

Now from my experience on my Only main account I got Calibrated for almost the exactly same MMR as my Unrancked games.
From Dotabuff we can do a rough measure of your Unranked MMR. In my case however I know I am slightly above the bottom line for High Skill because a couple of mounts ago I got dropped in Normal Skill. So as i am back in High skill now I know my Unranked is slightly above 3,2 k MMR.
After winning 7 out of 10 calibration games I got something like 3,25 k International Ranked MMR
During the calibration games I have never been matched against some one stronger then 3,6 K MMR, and the once that had 3,6 , were in a party with lower MMR players.

So you see there was never a chance for me to get to 4k MMR from 3,2 K Unranked MMR. So I personally still believe the MMR calibration is just done buy letting you start Ranked games with your Unranked MMR, play 10 of those by witch you gain or lose MMR and then after 10 games you have your new Ranked MMR.

The main problem that most people have is no one knows his exact Unranked MMR. And the deception of a lot of mainly Ranked playing players, is that it is equal to their Rnaked, but it's not. We can only judge about it from Dotabuff.

Mr. Smuggels here states the way of calibration is:
Your Unranked MMR + Constant Calibration MMR (3,3 k) / 2 = your Starting point in your Calibration matches
There for you are been given a chance to calibrate higher if you are below 3,3 k and if you are above 3,3 you will be calibrated lower.
But if that is true people that started calibrating from 4k Unranked should have gained around 3,7 k International MMR. Since I have been following my friends calibrations I have not seen any 4k players in very high skill being calibrated at such difference after their calibration matches. Most of them got exactly the same International MMR as their current Ranked MMR.

I personally disbelieve this Constant 3,3 MMR number, because that will boost a 1k account a lot higher and essentially will create no 1k MMR accounts at calibration point in the system.

Last edited: