Pending: i need our swarm intelligence on Helping to Bulding a new Gaming Rig (2 Viewers)

SathKa

Vetted Officer
Aug 16, 2017
44 Shadow Lane Evanstone, Ill.
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
iam palying like bulding an system like This

MSI Z270 Mpower Gaming Titanium
Intel Core i7 7700K
16 Gb DDR4 2400MHZ
1 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
M.2 SSD 1 TB
HDD 4 TB

Idolator

Supreme Ruler of the Multiverse
Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X, MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker Deutschland

@SathKa Please note the following:

- I picked the 8700k over the 7700k. The 7700k has higher clock speeds but is only 4 cores, while the 8700k is 6 cores, which will serve you better in the long run, as newer games are starting to take advantage of more than 4 cores.
- I would not recommend getting a M.2 with 1TB as that is stupidly expensive (€300 for a cheap one, €500 for a good one), instead I recommend the 500GB Samsung Evo 960, which is considered to be one of (if not the best) the best M.2 SSDs. If you want more fast storage, you will be fine buying normal Sata SSDs and use them to store your games.
- I put a random HDD in there, that is priced slightly above €300, this is because the HDD that I would recommend is the Western Digital Black 7200RPM 4TB HDD (which costs around that price but is not showing up on PartPicker).
- This system can comfortably play at 1440p 144FPS with max settings, on almost all games. This is why I also included one of the best 1440p 144Hz IPS monitors, the Asus MG279Q 27'' monitor. It is 4ms response time and only 10ms input lag.
- The price on PartPicker is higher than your budget, but only because the GTX1080 Ti is marked at stupidly high prices. This is one of the reasons why I said you should wait until Nvidia announces their new GPUs (probably in April-May).
- The Corsair H110i is one of the best AIO CPU Coolers for Overclocking.
- If you go with an i7 8700k you should go with higher speed DDR4 RAM, because (like Ryzen) it benifits from higher RAM speed. This is why I chose the G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000Mhz, it has high speed and it looks good :p RAM is expensive at the moment, this was another reason why I said you should wait a bit longer.
- The Z370 Asus Aorus Gaming 7 is one of the best motherboards in the Z370 line-up.
- You can choose a different case, just make sure it is a Mid-Tower or Full Tower (or it won't fit an ATX Board) and that it has space for your cooler (or if you use the AIO I recommended, if it has space for the radiator).
- You can choose a different Power Supply, but make sure it is not an unknown brand, preferably 80+ Gold or above, and at least 550W power (to give you room to overclock your system). Personally I prefer Full Modular, or Semi-Modular PSUs, because they give more freedom to customize, but you can also get non modular PSUs.
-If you can find certain parts (specially CPU, GPU, RAM, and PSU) at a lower price than the one listed in PartPicker, this build will be within your budget. €968 from MindFactory.de, €990 at Amazon.de, €940 at Amazon.de (personally I would pay €50 more and get one with a double fan), €950 at MediaMarkt.de, €930 at MediaMarkt.de (looks a bit ugly though), €980 at MediaMarkt.de

@Aug care to pitch in? :p

Last edited:
[MENTION=81089]SathKa[/MENTION]

So I myself Like the AMD processors. I have a new R7 1700x in my machine I just built, and I couldn't be happier with it. SO I have made a build with AMD instead of Intel. It also comes out to be a bit cheaper so you can leave room for upgrades on other parts of the computer.

System Builder - Threadripper 1900X 3.8GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING, 780T ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker

I'm not sure what kind of case you would want. That is of course an aesthetic choice mostly. Just make sure that it can fit the CPU cooler. Using this would allow you room to upgrade your parts, or possibly upgrade your peripherals. I also included a new monitor in it. That is the one I am using presently. I have 2 of those 27" and they are amazing monitors. If you are interested I can also look into some of the sites that do prebuilt systems and send them to you. Because like Idolator stated, sometimes those will have better pricing on getting the system you want right now due to the price hikes that the crypto currency boom has caused.

Idolator

Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
[MENTION=63]Aug[/MENTION] I only disagree with a couple of things in your build. The RAM is too slow, I wouldn't pick anything below 3000 MHz if you are using anything based off of AMDs Zen architecture. I believe he was also inclined to get a large HDD (4TB) and a M.2 SSD which you did not include. Replacing these parts you get this: System Builder - Threadripper 1900X 3.8GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING, 780T ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker
After conversion is still a bit cheaper than mine, but Threadripper is really only good if you intend to game+stream, or game+content creation (like video editing). If you only want to game then you will get less performance (in most games) than the i7-8700k

SathKa

Vetted Officer
Aug 16, 2017
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
well i would like to switch for an
Intel Core i9 7900X and 2 x Radeon RX Vega 64
a pannel wiht 4ms is tohigh for gaming i would better buy one wiht 2ms

Last edited:

Idolator

Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
[MENTION=81089]SathKa[/MENTION] please don't get an i9, that is a terrible idea for gaming. i9s are for productivity, you will get around 1% better performance but will have more than double the price for the CPU PLUS the motherboards are also more expensive, not to mention it is a platform that is not mainstream and therefore there isn't a lot of support for it.
I'll make this simple, the more cores it has the lower the clock speed. Games only take advantage of 4 cores (newer ones are starting to take advantage of 6), so anything above 6 cores is purely for productivity, content creation, or streaming. Even then you are MUCH better off going for Ryzen 7 or Threadripper than going for an i9.

Regarding the 2x Vega 64, that is also not a smart play. Vega 64 is ALMOST as good as a GTX 1080, the GTX 1080 Ti crushes it in every game. You add that to the fact that they are also overpriced as hell because of cryptocurrency, and you are basically throwing 2/3rds of your budget for 2 GPUs. Pair that with your i9 and you just used up all your budget on 2 GPUs and a CPU and have no money for anything else.
I have 2x GTX 1080s in SLI, and I can tell you that most games are not well optimized for SLI, some even perform better if you disable your 2nd card and only play them with 1. Unless you want to play games at 4k 144hz, or 1440p 240hz, you do not need 2 GPUs.

In terms of monitors, here is what you have to consider. The ones with better colours are IPS panels and they have 4ms response time. The TN panels have 1ms response time but have worse colours than IPS. Honestly you will not notice any difference from 1 to 4ms. This is specially true if you have a cheap TN monitor with high display lag (which is different from response time) and switch to an IPS monitor with low display lag (like the one I suggested earlier)

SathKa

Vetted Officer
Aug 16, 2017
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
The Intel Core i9 7900X is at the best highend gaming Cpu out there beats the Threadripper with ease
but yehar maybe you are right and i would them stick wiht the 8700k and the build you showd i would switch the mainborad to a Asus one since it has a MSI GPU and i al rdy have tha combo and id susites and works well i dont need to OC even that the 8700k is the best Oc cpu right now and gigabyte borad are the best onces for oc

if i ever need to oc to just have 5 more fps and only cuase stress and dmg o the pc i just update anything else is just usless i dont like Oc

pharaoh wizard

Clan Member
Feb 7, 2013
Clan Rank
Sergeant
Sergeant
The Intel Core i9 7900X is at the best highend gaming Cpu out there beats the Threadripper with ease
but yehar maybe you are right and i would them stick wiht the 8700k and the build you showd i would switch the mainborad to a Asus one since it has a MSI GPU and i al rdy have tha combo and id susites and works well i dont need to OC even that the 8700k is the best Oc cpu right now and gigabyte borad are the best onces for oc

if i ever need to oc to just have 5 more fps and only cuase stress and dmg o the pc i just update anything else is just usless i dont like Oc

If the budget is there I'm usually all for going for an overkill build, especially if it's one you plan to keep for many years without needing or wanting to upgrade. For instance I've have my current PC for around around 4 years. (It's first incarnation was a AMD build then upgraded to an i5 shortly after when the 4690 came out.) and thus far it's worked wonderfully. The only thing that's been upgraded since then is that I added more RAM and GPU and right now I don't see myself upgrading anything for at least another 2 years. Now had I purchased an at the time high end i7 for the x99 (I think) board I would be set for even longer minus GPU.

Like yourself I'm not a fan of OC, although an good OC doesn't do all that much to it if you have adequate cooling and you find your max and dial back a couple ticks. OC for me just doesn't offer THAT much of a performance change except in synthetic benchmarks, which I could care less about being the top in Firestrike.

Like I said though, if the budget is there, go for the i9. Sure it's overkill, but it will last you longer without having to upgrade (which will save money in the long run). If not, these other builds are perfectly fine and will still give you at least 6-8 years of use.

Idolator

Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
[MENTION=81089]SathKa[/MENTION]
i9-7900x build - €4000 - System Builder - Core i9-7900X 3.3GHz 10-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X, S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker Deutschland
i7-8700k build - €3400 - https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FYJgsZ

Differences: CPU/Motherboard (for obvious reasons) and RAM Speeds (i9 only supports 2666MHz). Even with the cheaper RAM the 7900x build still costs €600 more than the 8700k, and is €1000 over your budget. Please note these builds have 32GB of DDR4 RAM, if you only play at 1080p, or 1440p, and do not intend to do heavy video editing, you can easily pull back to 16GB of DDR4 RAM (I currently have 16GB and there are very few instances that I hit the 16GB limit, and it is usually after not restarting my PC for 1+ week).

I just looked at several websites with benchmarks comparing the i9-7900x and the i7-8700k (at base clock, no OC) and (at 1080p, 1440p, and 4k) the 7900x would tie or win by 2-3 FPS. I don't know about you, but paying €600 more for slower RAM and an increase in 2-3 FPS seems like a complete waste of money. And we are not even talking about OCing here, like you said the 8700k is one of the best CPUs to OC atm. I've seen a lot of ppl being able to OC it to 5GHz on all cores, that will slaughter any OCed 7900x in gaming.

[MENTION=22924]pharaoh wizard[/MENTION] like I said above, if he does an i9-7900x build it will be €1000 over the budget he gave us. The i9-7000 series is also an older architecture than the i7-8000 series, it is also not a mainstream platform meaning it has less support, it doesn't OC as well as the 8000 series, and when it comes to gaming it offers extremely minimal increase in FPS (at stock values) for the amount of money you have to pay for it.
Also if you think OCing gives minimal returns, you obviously don't know how to OC. I have an i7-5930k and 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Classified on SLI, before OCing I was getting 110 FPS in DOOM and Overwatch at 4k max settings. After OCing my GPUs (very slight OC as the Classified GPUs are already pretty high OCed from EVGA) and my CPU to 3.95GHz on all cores (normally it only turbo boosts to 3.7GHz on 2 cores, I can't OC it more because my Motherboard doesn't support it. If I had a better motherboard I've seen 5930k going up to 5GHz), I now have 150 FPS in DOOM and Overwatch at 4k max settings. Idk about you but a 40 FPS increase is a lot. I've also had my PC for 5 years (only changing out my GTX 980 for the 2 GTX 1080 Classified) and I've never had a problem with any of my components even after OCing.
Going balls to the wall with a build is fine, hell I did it with mine lol but you have to know where the diminishing returns kick in and you are basically just wasting money. For gaming the i9 is a brick wall of diminishing returns, it is NOT meant to be a gaming CPU it was made to be a Productivity CPU. It completely wrecks the 8700k in stuff like Premier, 3D rendering, stream encoding, synthetic benchmarks, etc ... because it has a lot more cores, but games don't use all of that, they only use 4-6 cores MAX. Only recently have game engines started to use 6 cores, so don't go expecting them to hit 8+ cores anytime soon.

pharaoh wizard

Clan Member
Feb 7, 2013
Clan Rank
Sergeant
Sergeant
[MENTION=22924]pharaoh wizard[/MENTION] like I said above, if he does an i9-7900x build it will be €1000 over the budget he gave us. The i9-7000 series is also an older architecture than the i7-8000 series, it is also not a mainstream platform meaning it has less support, it doesn't OC as well as the 8000 series, and when it comes to gaming it offers extremely minimal increase in FPS (at stock values) for the amount of money you have to pay for it.
Also if you think OCing gives minimal returns, you obviously don't know how to OC. I have an i7-5930k and 2x EVGA GTX 1080 Classified on SLI, before OCing I was getting 110 FPS in DOOM and Overwatch at 4k max settings. After OCing my GPUs (very slight OC as the Classified GPUs are already pretty high OCed from EVGA) and my CPU to 3.95GHz on all cores (normally it only turbo boosts to 3.7GHz on 2 cores, I can't OC it more because my Motherboard doesn't support it. If I had a better motherboard I've seen 5930k going up to 5GHz), I now have 150 FPS in DOOM and Overwatch at 4k max settings. Idk about you but a 40 FPS increase is a lot. I've also had my PC for 5 years (only changing out my GTX 980 for the 2 GTX 1080 Classified) and I've never had a problem with any of my components even after OCing.
Going balls to the wall with a build is fine, hell I did it with mine lol but you have to know where the diminishing returns kick in and you are basically just wasting money. For gaming the i9 is a brick wall of diminishing returns, it is NOT meant to be a gaming CPU it was made to be a Productivity CPU. It completely wrecks the 8700k in stuff like Premier, 3D rendering, stream encoding, synthetic benchmarks, etc ... because it has a lot more cores, but games don't use all of that, they only use 4-6 cores MAX. Only recently have game engines started to use 6 cores, so don't go expecting them to hit 8+ cores anytime soon.
Didn't read the budget, so that's my fault for not doing my due diligence. Now, I do know how to OC, and depending on various factors CPU overclocking generally doesn't add much more. A good one will can give you 10+. Most avg 0-5. Now of course, that depends on the game. Games that rely on the CPU (GTA5, MMO's, Arma, ect) can see a better improvement with a CPU overclock. Though a mild one that's barely over the stock or boosted clock wouldn't be much. You will have to hope to have a chip that won the silicone lottery that gives an epic OC. GPU OC are the same essentially. Unless you can get a massive OC, you generally maybe see 10-20 FPS on the high end. (I won't lie, the fact you got a 40fps bump seems odd with such a small OC, but I got no reason to doubt it, so good that you did but it's very rare.)

I will agree though, any extreme CPU (i7 or i9) is too much for gaming. It will only benefit to buy it if you plan to do productivity work as well. The more budget friendly i7 or i5 is plenty. (Also most games still only require 2 cores, only a handful of games to my knowledge will require a 4 core and none that I know of require 6, but it will change as time progresses. Also note I said require, not use. I think some games can make use of 8 cores but it's not required to play and have a good experience.)

Other than that, I can't disagree with what you said elsewhere.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrCruz Electronics Support 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)