Closed: - I need help playing older games on Win7 | FeverClan - Gaming Community

Closed: I need help playing older games on Win7 (1 Viewer)

billy_da_bob

Vetted Officer
Jun 24, 2012
Kimchi Land, S.Korea.
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
There are a few games I've managed to successfully run on win7 but there are still some with issues ranging from resolution to not even running at all :/

Starcraft: Brood War - occupies 1/4 of my screen, very annoying. (My res is 1600 x 900, I've tried lowering res, leaving res box open, compatibility modes, colors, all yielded the same results)

Star Wars: Republic Commandoes - Installs fine but won't run :(

Capra

Jun 24, 2012
alberta, canada
as for starcraft brood war
i have it also and it works okay on win 7. my resolution is 1600x900 also.
im not sure how you got it to do that.
when i launch the game it just goes to its default resolution (640x 480)
but maybe if you download and install the game from battle.net (register the cd key)
https://us.battle.net/
then that might work for you.

billy_da_bob

Vetted Officer
Jun 24, 2012
Kimchi Land, S.Korea.
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
as for starcraft brood war
i have it also and it works okay on win 7. my resolution is 1600x900 also.
im not sure how you got it to do that.
when i launch the game it just goes to its default resolution (640x 480)
but maybe if you download and install the game from battle.net (register the cd key)
https://us.battle.net/
then that might work for you.
I've always used my physical CD from years ago and I have registered my keys but never downloaded thru bnet but I'll give it a try. Thanks for your support, hopefully it'll solve my issue

Plasticjesus

Non-Member
Jun 23, 2012
Seattle WA
I could be wrong but I am fairly certain starcraft is only going to run in 4:3 display ratios as for other games if you right click on the shortcut than click the compatibility tab than select the os it supposed to run under. Doesn't always work but it is worth a shot

Toby

Vetted Officer
Jan 15, 2012
Kansas, USA
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
I could be wrong but I am fairly certain starcraft is only going to run in 4:3 display ratios as for other games if you right click on the shortcut than click the compatibility tab than select the os it supposed to run under. Doesn't always work but it is worth a shot
Doesn't always work. So for me I created a virtual XP box and play them there.

Sent from a geeks RAZR in a tractor.

Toby

Vetted Officer
Jan 15, 2012
Kansas, USA
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member

Agressivemofo

Non Member
Nov 13, 2012
I usually right click and run in compatability mode, usually works for 90% of the games i have installd.

\

billy_da_bob

Vetted Officer
Jun 24, 2012
Kimchi Land, S.Korea.
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
[MENTION=336]billy_da_bob[/MENTION] [MENTION=550]MustangPunk[/MENTION]

Click this link to download Oracle's Vituralbox http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.4/VirtualBox-4.2.4-81684-Win.exe

I intalled my on VMware so try this guide. Installing a Windows XP as a virtual machine on VirtualBox

As for running the games inside the VM. Make sure to use software rendering.
I did everything but now it says I need the boot disk T_T thought it'd be built in at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)