Closed: - How to reduce network latency in ALL games | FeverClan - Gaming Community

Closed: How to reduce network latency in ALL games (1 Viewer)

Darkstar01

Non-Member
Dec 9, 2012
I've been using this simple trick to reduce latency in games, fps, etc.. for years now.

Windows normally sends X number of Acknowledgement packets to a host, and waits to receive an ACK back from the service then it sends the next packet, what this mod does is reduce the number of ACK's sent and received, so the connection sends more packets, more packets mean more data or faster data access, thus reducing your latency.

Example:

as you can see the number of ACK's is actually quite high, a comparison would be about 1/3 as many ACK's after the mod. This is not a hack, it simply modifies the windows network stack so it doesn't send or receive excessive ACK's.

So this is how you do it by hand... (later I will offer an alternative method for those less technically inclined.)

1. Open up the registry:

2. Uncollapse the following entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces]

3. You will probably find several subfolders. Click through each folder until you find the one with the most entries in the right pane. The right interface will have many entries, e.g. DGCPDefaultGateway, DHCPDomain, DHCPIPAddress, Lease, NameServer, T1, etc.

4. Create two DWORD registry keys called TCPAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay:

Heres an example what it should look like:

TcpAckFrequency = 1 will disable delayed ACK. Default is 2, so it will wait for 2 packages until sending out ACK.
To disable TCP packet batching, we set TcpNoDelay to 1, so all packets will be send no matter what size they have (normally TCP sends out batched packages).

The NON-technical way to do it is to simply use "Leatrix Latency Fix"
This program simply does the registry changes on every network adapter, this also works on wireless connections, and all sorts of network card hardware. (Since it's a windows network stack change it is compatible with all hardware that uses the windows network stack.)

Leatrix Latency Fix

Once downloaded simply do the following...

Click the Install button once the program is running... then reboot your system, viola, your done. Enjoy.

y0y0ninja

Vetted Officer
Aug 27, 2011
Prattville, AL
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
I've been using this simple trick to reduce latency in games, fps, etc.. for years now.

Windows normally sends X number of Acknowledgement packets to a host, and waits to receive an ACK back from the service then it sends the next packet, what this mod does is reduce the number of ACK's sent and received, so the connection sends more packets, more packets mean more data or faster data access, thus reducing your latency.

Example:

as you can see the number of ACK's is actually quite high, a comparison would be about 1/3 as many ACK's after the mod. This is not a hack, it simply modifies the windows network stack so it doesn't send or receive excessive ACK's.

So this is how you do it by hand... (later I will offer an alternative method for those less technically inclined.)

1. Open up the registry:

2. Uncollapse the following entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces]

3. You will probably find several subfolders. Click through each folder until you find the one with the most entries in the right pane. The right interface will have many entries, e.g. DGCPDefaultGateway, DHCPDomain, DHCPIPAddress, Lease, NameServer, T1, etc.

4. Create two DWORD registry keys called TCPAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay:

Heres an example what it should look like:

TcpAckFrequency = 1 will disable delayed ACK. Default is 2, so it will wait for 2 packages until sending out ACK.
To disable TCP packet batching, we set TcpNoDelay to 1, so all packets will be send no matter what size they have (normally TCP sends out batched packages).

The NON-technical way to do it is to simply use "Leatrix Latency Fix"
This program simply does the registry changes on every network adapter, this also works on wireless connections, and all sorts of network card hardware. (Since it's a windows network stack change it is compatible with all hardware that uses the windows network stack.)

Leatrix Latency Fix

Once downloaded simply do the following...

Click the Install button once the program is running... then reboot your system, viola, your done. Enjoy.
Helpful post. I will be trying this tomorrow after work! Might fix my issues with latency lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Fireylaw27

Jun 27, 2013
Texas
Doing the non Techy savy way. 5AM over here, and don't feel like fuzzing with it. I'll also provide feedback later!

clobber1967

Jun 24, 2012
Kansas
[MENTION=662]LordsShield[/MENTION] I'm highly interested in this. I'll be running off a satelite after i retire with a ping of 650-700 this may be very helpful let me know how your testing goes.

Virus

Retired Founder
Feb 5, 2008
Niagara Falls, Canada
Clan Rank
Retired Leader
Retired Leader
so to clarify you create two new dword entries with the values:
TcpAckFrequency = 1
TcpNoDelay = 1

also i just did this and my ping on teamspeak instantly went from 56 to 26.

LordsShield

Vetted Member
Jun 30, 2012
Ledgewood, New Jersey
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
[MENTION=662]LordsShield[/MENTION] I'm highly interested in this. I'll be running off a satelite after i retire with a ping of 650-700 this may be very helpful let me know how your testing goes.
i noticed a slight difference in DayZ but havent looked at any games yet.. i am playing from Germany on the Fever server on Dayz had a ping of 150... went down to 105. so i did notice a significant difference. like i said tho have not tried it with any other games tho.

Fenyo

Dec 26, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
This was actually very useful. +1 to you, sir, thanks for sharing this!

Hooves

Non-Member
Jun 28, 2013
Missouri
I wonder if this works on League of Legends. Because my latency is going up and down which messes with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)