Closed: Help please! (1 Viewer)

aokiji

Non-Member
Oct 19, 2015
Hello guys, I currently play on my macbook pro retina 13'' but I start seeing some problem with it (like few games available). I have to say that the computer runs great and that I did not have problems with lag or anything like that yet. My problem is that I really like FPS games and none of them are available for mac, I always played on PS3 and PS4 but I will be traveling more often in the future and a console is not feasible so I was looking into the computer gaming. At the moment I play Diablo 3, hearthstone, some call of duty black ops, but that's it, I tried bootcamp and bought advanced warfare but it didn't go really well it always tells me that there are no games available and i don't know what is wrong with it :( Anyway I really have no idea when I'm looking at those gaming laptop what to look for, i know the alienware line but those are really expensive and I've heard mixed opinions about those. I thought the new 13'' they have look nice and not crazy expensive but I'm not an expert. I like Call of duty, looking forward for overwatch and I will keep playing Diablo 3. Let's say that my budget is 1500$ at max. If you guys could tell me what to look for or give me suggestion on brands and stuff I would really appreciate it. (also not too heavy, I've seen some that are elephants)
Thank you so much!

Last edited:

captaindiptoad

Clan Member
Jan 3, 2014
Jacksonville, Fl
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
[MENTION=56966]aokiji[/MENTION]

Amazon.com : ASUS G752VT-DH72 17.3"IPS Matte Display with G-Sync Technology, Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 Ghz Processor(Max Turbo 3.5GHz), 16GB DDR4, GTX 970M w/3GB, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD, DVD Drive, Intel Wireless-AC 7265 : Computers & Accessories

Bout the best thing your going to get out there.

A bit over 1500 but still worth it

Have a version with a GTX 660M and still plays all my games on med-high settings and its 4 years old.

Pros -

Full Keyboard
Matte hand rests
Hand Rests do NOT EVER get hot (I've played for 26 hours straight without a single issues with my palms getting hot)
Cooling is AMAZING, They have literally designed the thing to cool better than anything else on the market
Large screen
Cleaning and upgrading is EASY (has panels for HD and RAM upgrades, you can easily take the entire bottom off and you wont find anything that "holds this piece to this piece")

Cons -

Large
Slightly heavy
Need backpack

You wont go wrong with this, trust me.

If you want to look around though, i suggest ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte in that order

ASUS - Notebooks | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS Global
MSI TOP LINE - GT Series - MSI Gaming SeriesMSI Gaming Series
MSI ABOVE AVERAGE - GS Series - MSI Gaming SeriesMSI Gaming Series
GIGABYTE 970 Gaming, Gaming Laptops, Gaming Laptops, GIGABYTE, New, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M SLI, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M - Newegg.com
GIGABYTE 980 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=100025325%204814%20600536648%20600556361%2050001314&IsNodeId=1&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_5-_-VisNav-_-GTX-980M

Last edited:

Idolator

Supreme Ruler of the Multiverse
Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
if you want something as good (or better) than Alienware, at the same price range, and thinner ... I would buy a Razer Laptop.

Razer Blade Pro

It is expensive, but just look at those specs. They have 13'' and 17'' versions.

Gyorn

Clan Leader
May 4, 2015
Coburg
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
At first: I've changed the prefix of this thread to "Pending", because "How-To" is used for actual tutorials and such stuff.

On your question itself: I don't have much to add to [MENTION=34628]captaindiptoad[/MENTION]'s post.
It should be said, that gaming laptops are always some sort of trade-off when it comes to price/performance ratio.

I wouldn't recommend the Razer unless the look and feel is absolute mandatory for you. I mean, the "cheap" one is already 1000$ above your budget and still has a worse CPU/GPU combination than the linked ASUS.

Just some thoughts.

paulolz

Dec 16, 2014
asus makes a 960m laptop for 900, its awesome for what u need it for but i recommend throwing in an ssd

aokiji

Non-Member
Oct 19, 2015

Amazon.com : ASUS G752VT-DH72 17.3"IPS Matte Display with G-Sync Technology, Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 Ghz Processor(Max Turbo 3.5GHz), 16GB DDR4, GTX 970M w/3GB, 128GB SSD, 1TB HD, DVD Drive, Intel Wireless-AC 7265 : Computers & Accessories

Bout the best thing your going to get out there.

A bit over 1500 but still worth it

Have a version with a GTX 660M and still plays all my games on med-high settings and its 4 years old.

Pros -

Full Keyboard
Matte hand rests
Hand Rests do NOT EVER get hot (I've played for 26 hours straight without a single issues with my palms getting hot)
Cooling is AMAZING, They have literally designed the thing to cool better than anything else on the market
Large screen
Cleaning and upgrading is EASY (has panels for HD and RAM upgrades, you can easily take the entire bottom off and you wont find anything that "holds this piece to this piece")

Cons -

Large
Slightly heavy
Need backpack

You wont go wrong with this, trust me.

If you want to look around though, i suggest ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte in that order

ASUS - Notebooks | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS Global
MSI TOP LINE - GT Series - MSI Gaming SeriesMSI Gaming Series
MSI ABOVE AVERAGE - GS Series - MSI Gaming SeriesMSI Gaming Series
GIGABYTE 970 Gaming, Gaming Laptops, Gaming Laptops, GIGABYTE, New, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M SLI, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M - Newegg.com
GIGABYTE 980 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=100025325%204814%20600536648%20600556361%2050001314&IsNodeId=1&cm_sp=CAT_Gaming-Laptops_5-_-VisNav-_-GTX-980M
Thanks for your answer! just one question, I was looking at the computer you sent the link on amazon and I saw that it has only 128 of SSD, and 1TB of HD, how do the 2 interact? i know that the SSD is much faster but 128 giga are not a lot especially when there are games that are over 40 giga. Another thing, i need my mac for school and to do work so when i travel i'll bring that with me anyway and a 17 inch screen might be a little bigger than what i was thinking do you have any other recommendation for smaller screen? And if computer with smaller screens are crap for gaming just tell me, Thank you :)

Last edited:

aokiji

Non-Member
Oct 19, 2015
At first: I've changed the prefix of this thread to "Pending", because "How-To" is used for actual tutorials and such stuff.

On your question itself: I don't have much to add to [MENTION=34628]captaindiptoad[/MENTION]'s post.
It should be said, that gaming laptops are always some sort of trade-off when it comes to price/performance ratio.

I wouldn't recommend the Razer unless the look and feel is absolute mandatory for you. I mean, the "cheap" one is already 1000$ above your budget and still has a worse CPU/GPU combination than the linked ASUS.

Just some thoughts.
Thank for the change of the prefix i didn't know how to do it. I was looking for something not bigger that a 15 inch screen because i feel that traveling with something bigger than that will be too hard especially since i will need my mac anyway and taking 2 computer of such different size is kinda hard. I would be fine with a 13" too, do you have any suggestions? If computer with a smaller screen are crap for gaming just tell me.
Thank you!

captaindiptoad

Clan Member
Jan 3, 2014
Jacksonville, Fl
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army

The Smaller SSD is for your OS and games, the other is for movies music pictures programs (word, addons, things like that) They will come shipped with he OS on the SSD, its fast as all hell.
[MENTION=49444]distortedvoice[/MENTION]

I was going to stay away from sager digi and xidax because I didnt think they did notebooks, but looking at sager they have some pretty good options.

After looking at this, I would go with Sager Custom Laptops It starts at 1399 and you can upgrade the SSD to 500 GB (which will be plenty) Also its 15" which is what you want, you can also customize many other things.

Vex

Vetted Officer
Jan 14, 2015
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Diptoad by far gave you the best plan here man.

Do you have any further questions [MENTION=56966]aokiji[/MENTION]: ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)