eSports: GSL Season 3 finals are tonight (or tomorrow morning) (1 Viewer)

Psychotikah

Clan Member
Jul 21, 2018
Clan Rank
Sergeant
Sergeant
I already know the results but I can't wait to watch the vods!

What an amazing year for Maru! I think we can start the argument that he is the greatest SC2 player ever.

Psychotikah

Clan Member
Jul 21, 2018
Clan Rank
Sergeant
Sergeant
I must disagree here. While Serral's year was nothing short of amazing, he cannot be part of the GOAT discussion at this point, not even close.

Even looking at current zergs, soO's 4 GSL second places are much more impressive considering the competition, than the 4 WCS titles of Serral. Serral did brilliantly win the GSL vs World tournament, but soO also won a pretty stacked Kespa cup himself. (Yes soO actually won a trophy!) Let's not forget that soO was a very strong Proleague player as well.

Here is just one current example. Life remains the best all time Zerg by far, despite his wrongdoings.

Serral showed that he could beat the best Koreans, but he has to do this consistently if he is ever to be considered in the GOAT discussion. Players like MVP, Innovation, Life or Maru have been facing the best players game in and game out to get their achievements. It's not Serral's fault he isn't a Korean, but he has to be competing against the best much more often than he has so far.

Psychotikah

Clan Member
Jul 21, 2018
Clan Rank
Sergeant
Sergeant
Let me get back at what I said... soO got second place in SIX GSLs... That's a much more sizable achievement than winning WCS 4 times.

DrKobra

Clan Member
Aug 27, 2018
Clan Rank
Corporal
Corporal
Serral isn't the most decorated or most successful player ever, but for my money, the form he has been in this year is the best we've ever seen. Watching him play is just insane.

Psychotikah

Clan Member
Jul 21, 2018
Clan Rank
Sergeant
Sergeant
Better than Maru during the same period?

More dominating than Zest in 2014? Life in 2012-13?

I think we are getting carried away by the fact that we finally see a white boy dominate. Don't get me wrong, Serral is really impressive and he is as good as the top Koreans right now, no questions asked. His road through the GSL vs World tournament was really hard : Dark, Innovation and Stats are all tier 1 players.

But his 4 WCS titles, while they show that Serral will not loose to inferior players are pretty meh compared to what Koreans have to face on a consistent basis.

Let's say that Serral is about as good or better as, I don't know... Dark.

Here is the list of players that Dark had to face, this year only in the GSL :

Trap 2x, Trust, TY, soO, aLive 2x, Zest, Ryung, Innovation, Classic, Neeb, GuMiho x2, Rogue.

This is just clear cut stiffer competition, every group stage, every round...

Again, I don't want to diminish anything that Serral did, but he has not reached some kind of never before seen peak of SC2 skills. Maru winning all GSLs during the year is already much more impressive, while crushing Serral 3-0 at the WESG by the way...

Lucar2k

Clan Member
Jul 26, 2018
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Serral still op. Wanna see Maru vs Serral again soon.

Reaper314159

Clan Member
Feb 18, 2018
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
You also have to consider that even last year Serral was #1 on the Korean ladder for some time until he went back to Europe. I think Serral is easily the best Zerg atm globally. He's just cleaner if you watch the VOD's or listen to some of the Korean interviews and what they've said. As for him vs Maru, I'd say Maru has an advantage with his proxy play since Serral doesn't have too much practice against terrans in europe. That being said late game I think they would be relatively even.

Psychotikah

Clan Member
Jul 21, 2018
Clan Rank
Sergeant
Sergeant
You also have to consider that even last year Serral was #1 on the Korean ladder for some time until he went back to Europe. I think Serral is easily the best Zerg atm globally. He's just cleaner if you watch the VOD's or listen to some of the Korean interviews and what they've said. As for him vs Maru, I'd say Maru has an advantage with his proxy play since Serral doesn't have too much practice against terrans in europe. That being said late game I think they would be relatively even.
You might be right, but it's still all perception at this point.

Again, it's not his fault if he didn't play the GSL this year, but he needs results against the best competition before we can discuss if he is one of the greats.

I hope that next year Blizzard undoes the region locking in WCS. Let the Koreans come back to the circuit outside of the GSL. That will give Serral a nice playground to prove himself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kazik StarCraft 2 1
Synizta StarCraft 2 1
tiltedslim StarCraft 2 7