[Gearcheck] HC U6 monk with questions. Thanks! (1 Viewer)

glock_coma

Non-Member
Oct 26, 2015
Hi All,

Just joined yesterday and wanted to start playing d3 more seriously. Been reading up a bit and went down the U6 monk path. Would love to get feedback on what my priorities are for upgrading. Right now I have been farming dbs in order to reroll set items to try and get all my set items to ancients. I can do gr55 solo ok (I feel squishy at times), but unclear what I need to do to get to gr60s+. I suppose I need to switch down the gem in helm for cdr.

My profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ShardsOfFire-1812/hero/67547523

Additionally, would love to better understand how best to efficiently "play" the game. I have about 800 gr keys which I don't know what to do with because I can't seem to find people in t10s that do grs and most communities I've found have 800+ paragon level requirements to do higher rifts. I just assumed I should always be doing groups for mf bonus. Right now I've just been speed farming public t8s for death breaths with an in-geom.

Should I be:

* Spending all time solo gr's for experience / chance of better items
* Try and get into group gr's to upgrade my legendary gems
* Farm dbs and get better set items / craft a better lion's claw
* Change everything and go static charge now and use u6 monk to farm

Thanks a bunch,
Glock_Coma (AKA ShardsOfFire#1812)

Last edited:

Brathra

Clan Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cheeseland USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
U6 is subpar in group g rifts. Get your static gear together and start running group grifts. Hit me up on TS I have a heal monk you can run with.

Vlaru

Vetted Officer
Aug 3, 2015
Twin Cities, MN
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Should I be:

* Spending all time solo gr's for experience / chance of better items
* Try and get into group gr's to upgrade my legendary gems
* Farm dbs and get better set items / craft a better lion's claw
* Change everything and go static charge now and use u6 monk to farm

Thanks a bunch,
Glock_Coma (AKA ShardsOfFire#1812)
There are several monk builds that are great for group higher greater rifts, and there are several in the clan that have monks that can help you get them situated. I often run with [MENTION=53311]BamBam[/MENTION] (Osiris in D3) and he is super helpful and knowledgeable about the various builds, but there are others too. The first thing I'd recommend that you do is get another monk pleveled so you don't have to change gear/skills, just switch chars. The fastest way to get leveled is to put Custerian Wriftguards in Kanai's cube and have someone carry you through a vault portal (puzzle ring). Instant 55. Then do a cow level (Bovine Bardiche) and you should be at 70, or close to it. Then you keep your U6 for farming and your new Static (or heal or SWK or whatever) for group grifting. I know lots of people in the clan run higher GRs most nights, myself included, and we can carry you along to get your gear and show you how to best play whatever build you decide to go with. Let me know if I can help you out!

V

BamBam

Non-Member
Jul 21, 2015
Unfortunately, I don't play HC because I get funky lag that even kills me in SC GRs. No way I am wasting time doing that in HC.
As for your build on U6, I haven't played HC but I know its different in survivability issues so I wouldn't really know what to put, but in general:

Need atleast 50% CDR, you want to try and get permanent SSS just enough to apply 3 hits then SSS immediately after, rinse, and repeat. Then you wont be as squishy. Get madstone in armor cube to help apply EP(maybe not in HC?). Definately need fist of az'turrasq when GRing but not really in farming(what you have is fine). As your CDR goes up, you will need better restraint and HF ammy preferrably +%cold damage, CHC, CHD on it. You won't need much if at all lps in perma SSS, so get armor pants or %life (along with vit)like in chest and belt.

glock_coma

Non-Member
Oct 26, 2015
Need atleast 50% CDR, you want to try and get permanent SSS just enough to apply 3 hits then SSS immediately after, rinse, and repeat.
Have 60% CDR - just doesn't have right weapon showing (in-geom because of farming). Thanks for other tips. Got a bunch more ancients geared up now.

Moved up to p687. now set up three monks. Cleared 56 solo. Haven't learned how to use the static monk yet / haven't tried pushing with it yet (scared to lose lvl63 gems).

u6 monk
static charge
heal (incomplete)

Key improvements I made were actually on templar (Ess of jordan, freeze, eun-jang-do, unity). Which helped quite a bit. This is how I am optimizing gr's. I basically just add everyone who I ever gr with onto friends list and send broadcasts for requests. Here's what I do to run now. I'm going to start getting a heal monk together to try and push higher rifts to upgrade gems (lvl 63 right now).

* t8/t9 speed farming/bounties with in-geom until pools of reflection maxes out (u6 monk - takes me 2.5 mins to do t8 grift)
* run grs in groups until pools run out (u6 - but will eventually do sc monk once i learn) at w/e gr level I can to optimize towards 7 min completion times (solo gr50s or group gr57s).

Still trying to figure out how to play sc monk. Do I basically just use WotH for 6 seconds then hit FoT? Do I have to indnvidually hit all mobs with WotH first?

Last edited:

BamBam

Non-Member
Jul 21, 2015
Have 60% CDR - just doesn't have right weapon showing (in-geom because of farming). Thanks for other tips. Got a bunch more ancients geared up now.

Moved up to p687. now set up three monks. Cleared 56 solo. Haven't learned how to use the static monk yet / haven't tried pushing with it yet (scared to lose lvl63 gems).

u6 monk
static charge
heal (incomplete)

Key improvements I made were actually on templar (Ess of jordan, freeze, eun-jang-do, unity). Which helped quite a bit. This is how I am optimizing gr's. I basically just add everyone who I ever gr with onto friends list and send broadcasts for requests. Here's what I do to run now. I'm going to start getting a heal monk together to try and push higher rifts to upgrade gems (lvl 63 right now).

* t8/t9 speed farming/bounties with in-geom until pools of reflection maxes out (u6 monk - takes me 2.5 mins to do t8 grift)
* run grs in groups until pools run out (u6 - but will eventually do sc monk once i learn) at w/e gr level I can to optimize towards 7 min completion times (solo gr50s or group gr57s).

Still trying to figure out how to play sc monk. Do I basically just use WotH for 6 seconds then hit FoT? Do I have to indnvidually hit all mobs with WotH first?
yeah, wanna see what the effects are when you WoHF and then FoT as SC monk? you can just go into any T6 map like doing a bounty, open your inventory and details screen and start hitting mobs with WoHF and then switch to FoT. What you should see is your attack per second and attack per second off hand go to 5.0(which is max) and your monk should look like an attacking tasmanian devil. If you don't reach 5.0 then need more IAS on your items and the shenlongs debuff hits hard. Also you don't stack too much on IAS, not alot is needed to hit 5.0 AS(with flying dragon) so what I did is rerolled AS and saw if I was hitting 5.0 and I didn't so I added more IAS and the reverse, you can take some IAS off and check to see if you still hit 5.0 AS. Reroll accordingly.

Edit: If you are using flying dragon in cube and stricken for snapshotting though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GhostRogue Past Guides & Strategies 5
S Past Guides & Strategies 1
Zyion Past Guides & Strategies 1