Closed: Gaming Laptop (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2012
Hi Guys. My girlfirned is currently using an old histty laptop that barely runs Skyrim to game. Our anniversary is coming up, and I would like to get her a better laptop, one that can run Skyrim at more than 15 FPS. However, I can't break the bank to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look for a competitively priced "gaming" laptop?

0yme0

Vetted Officer
Jun 3, 2014
Indiana
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Cyberpowerpc's website has a wide variety of them. If you want cheap steer very clear of Alienware.
CyberPowerPC Gaming Notebooks - Custom Gaming Laptops
Personally I have a Cbpc. I wouldn't recommend a fangbook as they're huge! But yeah.
You can also search for normal laptops, it's hard to find a good laptop that can run video games for cheap. Though I don't know many sources.

TwoUnderscores

Non-Member
Jun 21, 2014
Cali
Is this going to be gaming only? Or class work and other things as well?

Sep 14, 2012
Its going to be primarily gaming, though some classes as well. I actually went ahead and took at look at the specs of her laptop and found out a couple interesting things. It has a core i7 2675Qm, and 6GB of RAM (I forgot to check clock speed on that). However, I think what is bottlenecking the performance is that she has a Radeon HD 6490M graphics card, which only has 512MB. Instead of buying her a new laptop, I'm now wondering if its possible to just upgrade the graphics card in it. Sorry, id on't know a lot about laptops, but is that something that is doable?

Aug

Clan Leader
Mar 10, 2010
Compuserve HQ
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
Its going to be primarily gaming, though some classes as well. I actually went ahead and took at look at the specs of her laptop and found out a couple interesting things. It has a core i7 2675Qm, and 6GB of RAM (I forgot to check clock speed on that). However, I think what is bottlenecking the performance is that she has a Radeon HD 6490M graphics card, which only has 512MB. Instead of buying her a new laptop, I'm now wondering if its possible to just upgrade the graphics card in it. Sorry, id on't know a lot about laptops, but is that something that is doable?
Sometimes yes, but it has to be a graphics card that isn't part of the mother board. That happens quite a bit. Especially with the older Radeon cards. It's just built into the board. How much were you looking to spend? Cause I have a laptop right now that I game on decently. It cost $500, because it was an open box from Microcenter. Those are some of the best deals out there. It gets returned because the person didn't want it anymore, so we get a couple hundred off. If you are looking at more of the $1000 range then we can get you something really nice. Just let us know what you are looking for and we can go from there.

I also would suggest that you not open up the laptop and play with things, unless you have someone there that knows what they are doing. You would be wise to use a static mat, and a static wrist strap as well when handling things inside of the PC, because you can fry everything with one shock. But if you still wanna look into replacing some parts, then we can help you find some more RAM and a better card. If they are upgradeable.

Sep 14, 2012
I'd be interested in seeing about upgrading the video card first. Is there a way for me to tell if the video card is integrated into the motherboard?

And after pricing things out, If I am looking to spend around $1k, I can just build a desktop (though that isn't the best option because small apartment, which is why I'd rather upgrade the video card on the existing laptop).

UzzyFTW

Vetted Officer
Sep 7, 2013
In my german dungeon.
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
What model is the existing laptop? [MENTION=3551]By the Power of Grayskull[/MENTION]

Sep 14, 2012

Sly

Vetted Officer
Feb 5, 2014
Britain
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. GF was out of town with her laptop. At any rate, the model is Samsung NP700Z5B-W01UB. Heres an amazon link Amazon.com : Samsung NP700Z5B-W01UB Notebook 15.6" Laptop (Intel Core i7 Processor 2675QM, 6GB Memory, 750GB Hard Drive) Silver : Laptop Computers : Computers & Accessories
i did a quick search on the laptop and couldnt find any graphics card replacement so it maybe integrated but Uzzy may have better look...

Some people may be like "NOO WTF sly" but have you ever thought about a Alienware or Razer laptops? not the way overpriced ones but you mid range... i prefer to build desktops since there is room for upgrades etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)