Pending: Freeze on ONE game (1 Viewer)

Nanbu

Clan Member
Nov 19, 2015
CA, USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
I starting playing Final Fantasy 13 through Steam and the game keeps freezing after 20+ minutes of smooth running. Once it freezes, I cannot close it and am forced to restart the computer (tried force stopping, tabbing).

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

Idolator

Supreme Ruler of the Multiverse
Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I starting playing Final Fantasy 13 through Steam and the game keeps freezing after 20+ minutes of smooth running. Once it freezes, I cannot close it and am forced to restart the computer (tried force stopping, tabbing).

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?
Go to steam, right click the game and go to Properties -> Updates, and at the bottom make sure that 'Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization' is turned off. Then try to play again.

Some games do not like that feature, for example my Middle-Earth: Shadow of War always crashes in the same places if I have that feature turned on.

Nanbu

Clan Member
Nov 19, 2015
CA, USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
I will try that. I have to find the save files and copy them I suppose.

Nanbu

Clan Member
Nov 19, 2015
CA, USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
I disabled the cloud sync and played the game, but it still froze after a few minutes.

I have also tried validating the game and changing the power management settings for "prefer maximum performance" on "ffxiiiimg.exe". These are some solutions that I found on other forums.

So far none of them is working :(

Idolator

Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
@Nanbu From what I've read it might be a problem with the game constantly searching for a controller, and causing it to stutter, lower FPS, and freeze.

Before trying the more complicated fix, try opening the game folder, locating the .exe for the game, right click -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and choose Windows 8, below that also Check 'Run this program as an administrator'

There seems to be 2 ways to fix the controller problem, either play with a controller or you can try (on Windows 10) right click the Start button -> Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices -> Disable all 'HID-compliant Device' and try to run the game. If this works, you can then try to enable them 1 by 1 to see which one is causing the issue. Make sure not to disable any of the other ones, as you may lose the ability to use your keyboard/mouse.

Note that disabling 'HID-compliant Device' may stop you from using some additional features of your peripherals, such as keyboard media keys, etc. So once you finish the game you might want to turn that back on.

Last edited:

Nanbu

Clan Member
Nov 19, 2015
CA, USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
I did the Steam verification again, just to make sure and it seems that every time I shut down the computer and boot it up again, one of the files goes missing. The verification process tells me that one file was lost and has been reacquired. So far, it seems that if I play after this, I don't get any crashes.

If I happen to get a crash, I will try that controller method. Thanks a ton.

Idolator

Nov 6, 2015
UK
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
I did the Steam verification again, just to make sure and it seems that every time I shut down the computer and boot it up again, one of the files goes missing. The verification process tells me that one file was lost and has been reacquired. So far, it seems that if I play after this, I don't get any crashes.

If I happen to get a crash, I will try that controller method. Thanks a ton.
In that case I would look towards your anti-virus software. Look under Quarantine or in the logs to check if it deleted that file due to a false positive. Files don't just magically delete themselves lol

Nanbu

Clan Member
Nov 19, 2015
CA, USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
I was playing yesterday after doing the whole verification and it crashed, so I will have to try the controller fix.

Nanbu

Clan Member
Nov 19, 2015
CA, USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
I have tried the controller fix and so far I haven't experienced any crashes. I haven't been playing much, but the few times that I did, it worked fine. Thank you!

You can mark it as resolved :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)