Fever Press: - Fever Weekly Issue #368 | FeverClan - Gaming Community

Fever Press: Fever Weekly Issue #368 (1 Viewer)

SunKenRock

Clan General
Aug 5, 2016
Kitchen
Clan Rank
Lt. General
Lt. General

Issue 368

Index:
(Click on any of them to be re-directed)

Editorial

Announcements
Fever Events
Special Events and Tournaments
Fever Jobs
Inside Fever
Fever FNG
Behind the scenes
Tech News
E-Sports
Game News
Miscellaneous
Gaming Beats
Funnies

Talk about going by quickly . With Christmas and following with Boxing day for others happening next week.Though in some capacity there will be issues for both holiday and prior to new years eve. Even if it will be less content , we all here at the weekly wish you well. Do not get sick either , it is a nasty thing to happen.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!
- SunKenRock

Nothing to crazy this week but be sure to check the calander for the similar game nights (unless you want to add your own) Also note that with holiday next week, there might be a slight change. Check with discord events for any updates.

Game Nights:

Events Schedule

Calendar

*Please check the forum calendar and #events channel on Discord for up-to-date event times. Also see the suggestions thread for any requests and/or offers to host an event*

If you would like to help ensure your game's game nights, events, etc. are listed and want to have the ability to post them on the calendar, or your game nights do not appear on this calendar over the next few days, please contact Violet ,and or Linessah . They will get them squared away.

To convert the times to your timezone, use the following tool: Time Zone Converter. Please check the Discord Events channel for reminders about events. Also with some game nights being made up for that day due to the people whom are on.

This link will take you to everything Fever and provides a table of contents to direct you to what you may seek. If you do not see anything for game that you are looking for I(or might be interested in starting a group in) contact

Head - @Thundernut,
Deputies - @Gizmo256, @Axle (Recruitment)

Sega brings Genesis classics like Sonic and Streets of Rage to Amazon’s Fire TV

It’s hard to believe, but Gunstar Heroes is actually playable using an Amazon Fire TV remote control. Sega is announcing a new collection of Sega Genesis classics that’s available on Amazon’s Fire TV family of devices starting today. And while it’s in no way the ideal way to experience these games, the bundle represents perhaps the most accessible way to play retro games on your television without the need for gaming-specific hardware.

The collection is available now for $14.99, and it includes the following games:
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Decap Attack
  • Dr Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Gain Ground
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Ristar
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Street of Rage
  • Street of Rage II
  • Street of Rage III
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
It’s a pretty meaty collection, and while there isn’t much in the way of surprises, there are genuinely fantastic games that still hold up well, including the Streets of Rage trilogy and Comix Zone. Three of the Sonic games are actually remastered versions, while the rest are more traditional retro ports.

They’re all bundled together in a single app on the Fire TV. The menu is pretty simple, letting you filter games by genre, and there are a handful of visual tweaks as well. You can choose to display games in standard 4:3, or the “pixel perfect” mode, which offers a smaller, but crisper picture. There are also multiple borders to select. It’s all pretty basic stuff, but it’s more robust than Sony’s recent PlayStation Classic.

The customization options extend to gameplay as well. You can rewind a game a few seconds to redo a tough jump or to avoid an attack, and there are also multiple save slots for each game so you can record progress at any point. They seem like small things, but they go a long way toward making these games feel a touch more approachable and modern.

Of course, the biggest question is how these games control. While you can pair a Bluetooth gamepad (though you’ll probably want to avoid Amazon’s own controller, which doesn’t support the latest Fire TVs), the default controller is the device’s remote control. You flip it on its side and use the round directional button as a D-pad, while the forward, back, and play buttons represent the Genesis controllers face buttons.

Now, don’t get me wrong: it’s not a great controller. You wouldn’t want to use one while attempting a Sonic speedrun. But after playing a chunk of the games, including delving deep into Golden Axe for some reason, I’m shocked at how acceptable the Fire TV remote is. The directional circle hurt my thumb after long sessions, but otherwise, things were, if not great, at least passable. Notably, you can also remap the buttons to make it work better for you. The remote is more comfortable than using a single Joy-Con controller to play retro games, and it’s a definite step up from touchscreen controls.

There’s clearly a big market for classic games, as the furor over Nintendo’s miniature NES and SNES consoles has shown. But typically these rereleases come in two forms: terrible mobile adaptations or collections that require game-specific hardware to play. Sega is offering something in between. Its new collection isn’t as authentic as an NES Classic, but it’s a lot better than using a touchscreen. It sits firmly in the “good enough” category.

And if you already own a Fire TV, it’s probably the easiest way to revisit The Revenge of Shinobi while rocking out to Yuzo Koshiro.

Link: theverge

Cancellation of HGC among the changes in Heroes of the storm.
Last Thursday evening, Blizzard Entertainment announced it was scaling back work on Heroes of the Storm, its cross-franchise MOBA, and moving developers from that game to other projects. While Blizzard said it would continue to work on the game and release new content, it was a clear sign that Heroes of the Storm will not be a priority for the company in 2019 and beyond.

For many fans of the game, however, it was the cancellation of the Heroes Global Championship for 2019 that hit hardest. Dropping the HGC — and the Heroes of the Dorm collegiate circuit — was a sign of no confidence in Heroes of the Storm as a viable esport.

People who made a living based on Heroes of the Storm, including players, streamers, team owners and commentators, say they feel blindsided and betrayed by the announcement. Some said that Blizzard told them just a few weeks ago that the 2019 Heroes Global Championship was still happening.

YouTube content creator Kala, who has coached teams and created Heroes of the Stormcontent for years, said in a reaction video that his whole life has been built around the game, which he now sees as irrelevant.

“There’s so many teams and players that have put their heart and soul into this game and have developed livelihoods around this game, myself included,” Kala said in the emotional video, “and now everything gets pulled out from underneath them. It’s absolutely insane and I’m so fucking tilted about it. Holy crap. I’m so upset. So yeah, I don’t know what to do now. Coach of a game without a competitive scene …

“I was straight-up told by Blizzard employees at BlizzCon … that the HGC was going to be the same. Funding equal or greater for next year.”

Another longtime Heroes of the Storm content creator, MFPallytime, said he similarly felt left in the dark by Blizzard. In his own video, he said that the people he spoke to within the company believed the Heroes Global Championship was going to go forward with a 2019 season right up until the esports series was officially canceled. Regardless, he feels disillusioned by Blizzard’s decision.

“If there’s no new people coming to the game, if there’s no new people for me to educate, then my content becomes pretty redundant, and that’s super worrisome,” MFPallytime said. “You know, the pro teams were even told at BlizzCon that there was going to be equal or more funding for HGC next year. And it’s crazy that they would put a stop to it ...

“I have 26 more characters to do for this year’s A-through-Z playthrough, and I’m wondering if there’s even a point to doing it.”

Pro players expressed both anger and disappointment at the cancellation of Heroes of the Storm’s esports plans, including Liam O’Malley, an aspiring player who was set to join the team Endemic next year.

“For the past [three years] I’ve committed 8-10 hours a day into [Heroes of the Storm] to improve to make it into the HGC one day,” O’Malley tweeted. “I even dropped out of college to pursue my dream. Finally I did it and was going to be playing for [Endemic] as offlane in 2019. Now I’m told it’s canceled. I’m so sad.”

The captain of Simplicity’s Heroes of the Storm team, Justing, tweeted angrily about the situation, indicating that he was left in the dark as well.

“Good thing I was a team owner and asked repeatedly for information, even signed on for an apartment and I was given zero information regarding my job in 2019,” he wrote. “LOL what a joke.”

Derrie, general manager for team professional gaming organization Method, said in a statement that the team was disappointed in how Blizzard handled the news.

Meanwhile, some prominent Heroes of the Storm streamers have already moved on, shifting to competing MOBAs League of Legends and Dota 2.

Within Blizzard, developers on the game expressed their own sadness about the state of Heroes of the Storm, but spun the news as positively as possible. Kaéo Milker, the game’s production director, posted a lengthy statement on the game’s Battle.net forums.

But all is not lost. The team that remains dedicated to Heroes of the Storm is a veritable Who’s Who of developers who have been driving every facet of the game from the very beginning—from people you know and have seen speak publicly about the game for years, to those who have poured their hearts into it from behind the scenes. In short, we’re continuing to develop the game with an incredible team that has the experience and passion required to support Heroes of the Storm well into the future.
The Heroes of the Storm team and I also have a unique opportunity to rethink things and reprioritize. Because now more than ever, our charge is to focus on taking care of you, our players, and to channel all our energy into keeping the game dynamic and fun. This means we’re still committed to regular hero reworks, themed events, and even new heroes. We’re setting our sights on the new goals and timelines for what we want to do with the game from here on out and we’re eager to share those plans as soon as they’re finalized.
So, I’m also excited. I’m excited for my teammates to bring their hard-won experience from making this game to the other teams at Blizzard to help their games be even better. And I’m especially excited for Heroes of the Storm to continue evolving with a renewed focus and purity of purpose.

Link: polygon

Game Workers Unite UK Is That Country’s First Games Industry Union

Game Workers Unite UK is now a legal trade union dedicated to representing game developers in that country, it announced in a blog post on Friday.
It’s the first and only union representing video game industry workers in the United Kingdom, it said. It’s an affiliate of the global Game Works Unite movement, a grassroots organization that advocates for unionization and workers’ rights within the industry. Some of its goals include ending the institutionalized practice of excessive/unpaid overtime, improving diversity, supporting abused or harassed workers, and securing a livable wage for all.
“We are so deeply proud of our UK comrades who have hit the ground running from day one,” said Game Workers Unite on Twitter.
“We are SO inspired by the amazing organizing of our comrades in the UK!” said GWU Bay Area, a local chapter based in California. “Their work will not just improve the lives of workers in the UK, it will have massive repercussions throughout the industry worldwide as workers realize that a better way is possible.”
Calls for unionization within the video games industry have gotten louder this year following a number of incidents. The most high-profile ones include Rockstar Games’ alleged “100-hour” work weeks and allegations of sexism and misconduct at Riot Games. Then, there’s the closure of Telltale Games, which suddenly left 250 people unemployed and without severance or health insurance. Many developers took to Twitter afterwards to air their grievances and express their hopes for change under the hashtag #AsAGamesWorker.
Link: variety

Blizzard moving developers away from Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm, if you didn't know, is Blizzard's MOBA game that utilises characters from all across their various franchises, and at BlizzCon we found out about the first original character coming to the game - Orphea. That said, Blizzard has just revealed some not-so-good news for fans of the game, as resources are being diverted away from it.
As a part of changing and evolving, which they've often done in the past, Blizzard writes that "we've made the difficult decision to shift some developers from Heroes of the Storm to other teams, and we're excited to see the passion, knowledge, and experience that they'll bring to those projects. This isn't the first time we've had to make tough choices like this. Games like Diablo II, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Overwatch, and more would not exist had we not made similar decisions in the past."
"Despite the change, Heroes of the Storm remains our love letter to Blizzard's worlds and characters," the post continues. "We'll continue actively supporting the game with new heroes, themed events, and other content that our community loves, though the cadence will change. Ultimately, we're setting up the game for long-term sustainability. We're so grateful for the support the community has shown from the beginning, and the development team will continue to support Heroes with the same passion, dedication, and creativity that has made the game such a unique experience."
Do you still want to see what Heroes of the Storm can deliver in the future?
Link: gamereactor
Panzer Dragoon Remake And Panzer Dragoon II Zwei Remake Announced
People who loved Panzer Dragoon and its sequel, but perhaps never had a chance to get a copy or maybe even play them at all will have a new opportunity. Panzer Dragoon: Remake and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake have been announced by Forever Entertainment. The company is working with Sega to bring both games to a new audience.
Currently, only one of the two remakes has a release window. Forever Entertainment said Panzer Dragoon: Remake will arrive before 2019 ends.
Details about the remakes will entail are slim, as further announcements are set for the next few months. However, it will be co-created by Forever Entertainment and have new, updated graphics. It also will have some updates to it, which will be designed to make it more appealing to what the company referred to as “modern gamers.”
The original Panzer Dragoon appeared on the Sega Saturn in 1995, followed by Panzer Dragoon II Zwei in 1996.
Panzer Dragoon: Remake and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake are in development. We do not yet know platforms for the remakes.
Link: siliconera
Doom is 25 and co-creator John Romero is putting out a giant expansion for it

Twenty-five years ago, anyone old enough to navigate DOS was likely playing Doom every spare minute, assuming their parents weren’t around. A quarter of century after its release, the game’s legacy is unquestionable — but it could always use a few new levels. So co-creator John Romero made some. They come with a silver statue of his head impaled on a spike.
There’s not a lot one can say at Doom’s 25th anniversary that one couldn’t at its 20th, so I’ll spare you the big retrospective. Suffice it to say that Doom still rules, and if you’ve never played it, you’ve got a treat ahead of you. And at this point there’s enough of it to rival modern games in length and challenge.
What has happened in the intervening five years is the release of… well, Doom, AKA Doom 2016. This gory, kinetic remake charmed (and tore out) the hearts of millions, reigniting interest in a franchise that had seen better days.
Seeing this renewed interest, and with the 25th anniversary, approaching, co-creator John Romero decided he wanted to dive back into making maps for the game that made him.
“I worked on it part time during 2017 and 2018, mostly while I was on vacation or in the evenings,” Romero explained in an interview, apparently with himself, posted on his website. “For me, making this whole episode was a labor of love and a reminder of all the amazing times that we had at id working on the original. I was fortunate to be a part of such a great team and a foundational game.”
Sigil is a pack of nine levels that are an unofficial, but probably as official as we’re likely to get, fifth “episode” of Doom.
“I wanted the levels to feel like they belong to the original game as if they were a true fifth episode,” Romero told himself. “There’s more detail in the levels than episodes 1-4, but not overly so. The boss level is terrifying. There’s a massive room in E5M6 that is the coolest room I’ve created in any map.”
Many will remember the synth-metal soundtrack to the original, and to match that Romero tapped legendary metal guitarist Buckethead to contribute a song to Sigil. The catch is that the song doesn’t come with the free version of the expansion.
See, Sigil will release as a megawad — a wad of .wad (“where’s all the data?”) files, the original format for Doom expansions and mods. You’ll be able to download that for free and play it on your original copy of Doom; if you don’t have one, you can buy one for $5, and should.
But true Doom megafans will want to go with a boxed edition. The standard one comes with a 3.5″ floppy disk-shaped USB drive with the game on it, but the “Beast Box” has a bunch of extra gear inside the giant box: a booklet and print, an XL Sigil shirt and, most tempting of all, “a pewter statue of John Romero’s head on a spike.” This is a reference to a famous Doom Easter egg, but honestly would have made perfect sense anyway.
“I believe the most important legacy of Doom is its community, the people who have kept it alive for 25 years through the creation of mods and tools,” said Romero. “It’s not at all lost on me that I have gone from a creator to a part of the community in that space of time, and I love that.”
Sigil comes out mid-February. I can’t wait. If you’re interested in the more modern Doom stuff, though, keep an eye out for Doom Eternal, the sequel to the 2016 hit. More of the same? Sounds good to me. Rip and tear!
Link: techcrunch

Thank you for reading and have a nice week!

- The Fever Weekly Team

Watzup

Clan Member
Mar 8, 2018
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Always enjoy the info provided. Sad that Activision is trying to kill all things Blizzard though.

Leamus

Clan Member
Mar 14, 2018
Clan Rank
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Blizzard is hard a work destroying itself. They just couldn't get it right with Heroes even though its a very fun game. Diablo has hit the toilet and is just sinking. WoW is a casual paradise. Just makes me sad.

Sir-Dome

Clan Member
Dec 6, 2016
Sallisaw,Ok
Clan Rank
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Thanks for the weekly update

orcy11

Clan Member
Sep 16, 2015
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
good issue!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)