How-To: Discord Push to Talk, Keybinds, and Input Sensitivity Settings (1 Viewer)

OmegaDir

Clan Officer
Mar 24, 2019
Florida, USA
Steam
View
Clan Rank
Captain
Captain
Here are some simple instructions for setting up various settings in Discord - specifically activating push to talk, changing input sensitivity, and setting up keybinds.

To access your Discord settings, click the gear icon next to your username in the bottom left area of the window.

This is your main settings screen. The two options you are looking for are Voice & Video and Keybinds. The Voice & Video section contains settings to activate push to talk and change your input sensitivity. Keybinds allows you to add and edit keybinds to automatically take actions like mute and unmute your microphone.

This is the Voice & Video section. The two main check boxes under Input Mode select how you will transmit voice. Voice Activity will automatically transmit when Discord senses sound. Push to Talk will only transmit when you activate it. If you select Voice Activity, the automatic input sensitivity toggle will be ON. Normally, this setting is fine to remain ON. If things like background noise and breathing are activating your microphone, you may need to turn that toggle OFF and adjust the sensitivity slider. The more you move the slider to the right, the louder the input will have to be to transmit. You may need to test the setting. You want this to be just enough to pick up your normal speaking voice and nothing else around you.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You CANNOT use push to talk with the web browser version of Discord. If you want to use push to talk, you will need to install the full Discord application to your computer.

This is the Keybinds section. Keybinds are keys or key combinations that will automatically take actions or change settings. If you use voice activation, you will want to set up a keybind for Toggle Mute. This will easily allow you to mute and unmute the microphone for when you do not want to transmit. If you use push to talk, you obviously need to set the key for Push to Talk (Normal). If the action you want is already listed, all you need to do is edit the keybind. If you don't see it, click the button on the top to add a new keybind. Under Action, select the item you want to create a keybind for. To edit the keybind, hover your mouse over the little keyboard on the right side. It will turn into a button to edit the keybind. Click it once and it will start recording. You can use a single key or a combination of keys like CTRL and M at the same time. Once you are done recording the keybind, click the button again to stop recording.

That's it!

T3hK1tt3h

Clan Members
Apr 8, 2019
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Thanks for the guide! Next one please make it about Netiquette, the concept got lost after the arrival of social media.

Lobotomizer

Clan Member
May 21, 2019
Idaho
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
I have mentioned this “glitch “ in regards to Discord. When I log onto PC it loads Discord. Good thing. Have also had it set that “i” load it. Either way, once it is up and running as well as D3, the sound drops to zero in both the game and Discord. I now have to have the windows sound mixer box up on the other monitor. When the sound 0’s out I can adjust the sliders. Sucks and do NOT know why

T3hK1tt3h

Clan Members
Apr 8, 2019
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
I have mentioned this “glitch “ in regards to Discord. When I log onto PC it loads Discord. Good thing. Have also had it set that “i” load it. Either way, once it is up and running as well as D3, the sound drops to zero in both the game and Discord. I now have to have the windows sound mixer box up on the other monitor. When the sound 0’s out I can adjust the sliders. Sucks and do NOT know why
I would first check your audio/video configurations for your machine. It can also be a hardware issue. My last computer started to "die" with a similar, though not equal, issue with audio. It just stopped working for Google Hangouts and YouTube, and everybody was blaming Chrome browser. It wasn't. It was an issue with the video/audio card. Since it was a laptop, it wasn't worth fixing, I replaced the whole machine.

Lobotomizer

Clan Member
May 21, 2019
Idaho
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
I hear ya. I have been dealing with the annoying idiosyncrasies of this HD for several months. In task manager, the drive is at 100% with nothing running. I went in and changed everything I could per articles online. It works for a while then it ramps back up. With slow access times and humming. Will NOT let me access my Canon 5D for video for twitch. Time to kick the damn thing to the curb.

Daddyoisme

Clan Officer
Oct 10, 2018
Where Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee connect.
Clan Rank
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Sounds like a System Driver is corrupt and is causing instabilities in the OS. If this is Windows 10 and if you know how to reinstall your applications, I would suggest to recover Windows. Settings, Recovery, Get Started, and select the first option Keep My Files. that works about 95% of the time for me and my clients. If that doesn't work you will have to backup your files to another source (Separate Internal Hard Drive, External HD, USB, etc) and select the second Recovery option to reload Windows. If this other than Windows 10, I can list the instructions for that version.

T3hK1tt3h

Clan Members
Apr 8, 2019
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
I hear ya. I have been dealing with the annoying idiosyncrasies of this HD for several months. In task manager, the drive is at 100% with nothing running. I went in and changed everything I could per articles online. It works for a while then it ramps back up. With slow access times and humming. Will NOT let me access my Canon 5D for video for twitch. Time to kick the damn thing to the curb.
LOL! One of my external drives that works, when I inserted it to access my Dad's files on his shitty computer (I wanted to save his files and wipe out the thing) received a message it needed to be "recovered". I quietly opened it, looked if I could access my own files, and I could. Transfer Dad's data? No, Ma'am, you can't, your external drive isn't working.

I am giving him my laptop when I finally stop procrastinating with assembling my new PC, but I need to recover his files, so yeah...

BTW, Avast tricked an elderly person (he's 88) to buy 2 different anti-virus packages. Guess what? Neither accepts the activation key that was issued with the receipt emails. I'm trying to get some decent amount of patience to argue with their customer support, see if I can get a refund on the lowest one, and get the proper key to active the better one. I just don't know where this thing called "patience" went, it's nowhere to be found.

Lobotomizer

Clan Member
May 21, 2019
Idaho
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Sounds like a System Driver is corrupt and is causing instabilities in the OS. If this is Windows 10 and if you know how to reinstall your applications, I would suggest to recover Windows. Settings, Recovery, Get Started, and select the first option Keep My Files. that works about 95% of the time for me and my clients. If that doesn't work you will have to backup your files to another source (Separate Internal Hard Drive, External HD, USB, etc) and select the second Recovery option to reload Windows. If this other than Windows 10, I can list the instructions for that version.
Hey there,
I have been constantly working on machines for gaming for two decades. Worse part is that my wife and I both game. I have to always build two systems, maintain them, the home network, home theatre system, etc. as George Thorogood says, “but I’m tired”, “I want bourbon, I want scotch, I want beer”...lol...the tired part...I have been building PC’S since the DOS days. I can get my head around it but I am just tired and worn out keeping up with all the shit...haha easier to install a new HD. Troubleshooting was my profession before retiring. No more brain cramps!

Lobotomizer

Clan Member
May 21, 2019
Idaho
Clan Rank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
LOL! One of my external drives that works, when I inserted it to access my Dad's files on his shitty computer (I wanted to save his files and wipe out the thing) received a message it needed to be "recovered". I quietly opened it, looked if I could access my own files, and I could. Transfer Dad's data? No, Ma'am, you can't, your external drive isn't working.

I am giving him my laptop when I finally stop procrastinating with assembling my new PC, but I need to recover his files, so yeah...

BTW, Avast tricked an elderly person (he's 88) to buy 2 different anti-virus packages. Guess what? Neither accepts the activation key that was issued with the receipt emails. I'm trying to get some decent amount of patience to argue with their customer support, see if I can get a refund on the lowest one, and get the proper key to active the better one. I just don't know where this thing called "patience" went, it's nowhere to be found.
Damn, I feel for the elderly. From seeing a TV for the first time to a computer in your hand. Man, rough!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)