D3 Gearing 101: What is Godly Gear (GG) Anyway? (1 Viewer)

Vlaru

Vetted Officer
Aug 3, 2015
Twin Cities, MN
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Definition: Godly Gear: The state of having perfect rolls on all primary and secondary stats as well as all best in slot (BiS) items. In other words, good luck.

This is a guide of the basics for gearing in Diablo 3. Obviously, there will be variations based on different builds and classes (I'll highlight a few), but I'll go over some basics that apply to nearly all classes/builds. This is really intended for someone who feels like they should be able to play on harder difficulties but can't seem to survive or do enough damage. I don't claim to have the best gear (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vlaru-1879/) and there are lots of guides out there (most are probably much better than this), but I thought I'd throw this up (pun intended) for Fever players.

1.0 First, some shorthand:
GG: Godly Gear, or sometimes Good Game, depends on the context.
BiS: Best in Slot (i.e., this best item in the game for that particular slot)
IAS: Increased Attack Speed
CHC: Critical Hit Chance
CHD: Critical Hit Damage
Main Stat: The primary attribute for your character
Str: Strength (Main Stat for Barbarians & Crusaders)
Dex: Dexterity (Main Stat for Monks & Demon Hunters)
Int: Intelligence (Main Stat for Wizards & Witch Doctors)
Vit: Vitality = Directly related to your hit points (1 Vit = 100 HP)
HP: Hit Points (when they're all gone, you're dead).
%Life: Increase to life by stated percent (e.g., +15% Life)
Regen: Most often this refers to life regeneration (e.g., Regenerates 5000 life per second), but can also refer to Spender (Fury, Hatred, Arcane Power, Spirit, etc.) regen.
All res: increase to all resistances (e.g., +100 to all resistances)
Single res: Increase to a single resistance (e.g., +100 to cold resistance)
% Ele: typically refers to increase to % Elemental Damage (e.g., +20% Fire Damage)
Barb: Barbarian class
Sader: Crusader class
DH: Demon Hunter class
Monk: Monk class (duh)
Wiz: Wizard class
WD: Witch Doctor class
Gems: Regular gems that can be socketed into any gear and can be found as drops from any monster. Includes Emerald, Amethyst, Diamond, Topaz, and Ruby.
LGems: Legendary Gems, which can only be socketed into jewelry (rings, amulets) and are only dropped by Greater Rift Guardians (Boon of the Hoarder also drops from Greed in the Vault). Check http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/gem/
RG: Rift Guardian: the end boss in regular (Nephalem) and greater rifts, though you can continue killing monsters in regular rifts (not true in greater rifts)
GR or grifts: Greater Rift
LPS: Life per second
LPH: Life per hit
DPS: Damage Per Second
CDR: Cooldown Reduction
RCR: Resource Cost Reduction
Generator/Signature Skill: These are "Primary" skills for your class that either generate resource or are free to cast.
Spender: These are skills that use resource (e.g., Hatred, Fury, Spirit, etc.)

NOTE: Don't always trust the percent increase/decrease to Damage, Toughness, and Recovery shown on gear because they can be misleading. For example, if two weapons have the same damage range, but one has attack speed, it will have a higher "damage," but many skills based on weapon damage use the damage range, not the DPS. Also, not all stats are reflected in Damage/Toughness/Recovery (e.g., % Ele damage, % skill damage, etc.)

2.0 Damage (Also called Sheet Damage):
This stat shows up in the character inventory window (just left of the main hand weapon slot, which is just left of the boots) and is affected by weapon damage, IAS, CHC, CHD, Main Stat, % damage bonuses from skills, etc. This is how most people compare damage output, and how you can tell if you're putting out enough damage. Some builds, however, can have low sheet damage and put out a lot of damage in reality.

2.1 CHC & CHD: Warning: Math ahead, proceed at your own risk. CHC and CHD is a delicate balance. The general rule is that a 10 to 1 ratio of CHD to CHC will give you the most damage (Note you can see your CHC and CHD in the character details screen). Here's why: Think about CHC and CHD in terms of probability. The law of probability tells us that we can multiply our chance for something to occur, with the benefit when it does occur, to get our overall average benefit. So, if we multiple CHC with CHD, we get our average damage increase. Let's say we have 50% CHC and 500% CHD. The average benefit is 50% x 500% = 250% damage increase (0.5 x 500% = 250%). Now here are some scenarios:
CHC x CHD = % Damage Increase
40% x 600% = 240%
45% x 550% = 247.5%
50% x 500% = 250%
55% x 450% = 247.5%
60% x 400% = 240%
As you can see, getting the 10 to 1 ratio of CHD to CHC gives the most damage. Make sure to consider your gear (e.g., Iceblink) and skills (e.g., Wrath of the Berserker, Caltrops: Bait the Trap) that improve CHC and CHD.
CHC Gear: Amulet (Max 10%), Bracers (Max 6%), Gloves (Max 10%), Helm (Max 6%), Rings (Max 6% x2), Offhand (Max 10%)
CHD Gear: Amulet (Max 100%), Gloves (Max 50%), Rings (Max 50% x2), Emerald socketed into weapon (Max 130% possibly x2).
TLDR: A 10 to 1 ratio of CHD to CHC will give you the most damage.

2.2 CDR & RCR: Some builds benefit greatly from CDR and/or RCR. Some skills provide a huge bonus to damage, toughness, or both but are limited by a (usually) lengthy cooldown (e.g., Wrath of the Berserker, Akarat's Champion). Other skills are limited by having a large resource (e.g., Arcane power, Hatred) cost (e.g., Meteor, Multishot). Therefore having a significant amount of CDR or RCR allows you to spam these skills to the demise of demons everywhere. To get CDR and/or RCR on your gear, however, requires to you give up precise stat slots that could be used for Main Stat, Vit, %Life, all res, or (please don't do this) CHC and CHD. In most cases you give us too much if you go for both CDR and RCR, so choose your build, skills, and gear wisely to give you the most benefit. Also note that there is a CDR and RCR cap at around 75%, and it is multiplicative, not additive (i.e., 10% + 8% CDR = 17.2% <> 18%)
CDR Gear: Amulet (Max 8%), Gloves (Max 8%), Ring (Max 8%), Shoulders (Max 8%), Source (Max 8%), Quiver (Max 8%), Mojo (Max 8%), Weapons (Max 10%), Diamond Gem in Helm (12.5%, Leoric's Crown increases by 75 – 100%)
RCR Gear: Amulet (Max 8%), Gloves (Max 8%), Ring (Max 8%), Shoulders (Max 8%), Source (Max 8%), Quiver (Max 8%), Mojo (Max 8%), Weapons (Max 10%)

2.3 Attack Speed: In the beginning days of Diablo 3, it was all about attack speed. This has somewhat changed because most skills and damage now are based on weapon damage (the damage range) and not the weapon DPS. Also, increased attack speed (IAS) generally means you spend your precious resource faster. There are, however, some skills (e.g., Whirlwind Dust Devils, Strafe) or items (Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac) that benefit from increased attack speed. There are also breakpoints for IAS that you must consider ([MENTION=50016]Progenitus[/MENTION] posted about IAS and breakpoints). You want to be near the lowest number in the attacks per second (APS) range so you get the most benefit. If you can make the next breakpoint and it doesn’t reduce your damage in other ways (e.g., giving up CHC and/or CHD), go for it.
IAS Gear: Amulet (Max 7%), Gloves (Max 7%), Ring (Max 7%), Quiver (Max 20%), Weapons (Max 7%)

2.4 Movement Speed vs. Main Stat: Movement speed is HUGE in Diablo 3. Most often you are limited by how fast you can move, not how fast you can kill things (otherwise, you are probably taking on more than you should). Your base movement is maxed at 25% (before skills and special items like Krelm's Belt). When allocating Paragon Points, you must consider how much movement speed you have on gear BEFORE you put Paragon Points into Movement. First, reset Paragon points so you have zero points into movement speed. Check the very bottom of your Character Details sheet and find "Movement Speed." If you have any movement speed gear, it will show here (e.g., 12%). Now, allocate Paragon point only until the total is 25% (e.g., 25% - 12% = 13% from Paragon). Here's why: The base is maxed at 25% so if you have 12% on Gear and put 25% in Paragon, you still only get 25% movement speed. If you have 12% on gear and 13% from Paragon, you get 25% movement speed (but you have 26 paragon points to put into main stat!!!). As you get higher paragon, however, the main stat increase may or may not outweigh what you can re-roll on your gear (e.g., choosing toughness stats or skill damage on boots instead of movement speed).
Movement Speed Gear: Boots (Max 12%), and a few specific pieces of equipment (e.g., Flavor of Time, Compass Rose, Lacuni Prowlers).

2.5 Monster kills grant +Experience: Unless you are gearing for experience (high paragon farming), it is usually not worth trying to get this secondary stat on gear. That said, if you get it on your gear, it's not terrible, but there are often better choices. Also keep in mind that for 2.3, experience is shared in a group so everyone benefits.
Monster kills grant +Experience Gear: Everything​

3.0 Toughness:
The stat is related to how much damage you can take and/or mitigate. It's based on hit points, armor, dodge chance, damage mitigation (% damage reduced), resistances, etc. This is how most people determine how well you can survive (in addition to Recovery), which you could also call "tankyness."

3.1 Vit vs. % Life: Warning: Math ahead, proceed at your own risk. Each point of Vit gives you 100 HP, so if you roll +500 Vit (max non-ancient roll) on a piece of gear, it will increase your HP by 50,000 (500 x 100). Percent Life increases your HP by the percent shown (additive, not multiplicative). So if you have 100,000 HP and you roll +15% life (max roll) on a piece of gear, it will increase your HP by 15,000 (100,000 x 15%). So, when do you want Vit vs. % Life? If your Total Vit is 3,333 or less, choose Vit. If your Total Vit is more than 3,333, choose %Life. Here's why: at Vit = 3,333, your base HP is 333,300 (3,333 x 100). If you get a piece of gear that adds 500 Vit, your HP will increase by 50,000 (500 x 100). If, however, you get a piece of gear that adds 15% life, your HP will increase by 49,995 (333,300 x 15%). If your Vit = 3,334, your base HP is 333,400. 500 Vit will increase it by 50,000 and 15% life will increase it by 50,010. Now, 500 Vit and 15% Life are max rolls, and 500 Vit is CONSIDERABLY harder to roll than 15% Life (range = 10 – 15%). What about ancient items? They can roll up to 1000 Vit, which is 100,000 HP. In this case, if your HP is greater than 666,666, 15% life will still give you more HP.
Vit Gear: Everything
%Life Gear: Amulet (Max 15%), Belt (Max 15%), Chest (Max 15%), Helm (Max 15%), Ring (Max 15%), Shoulder (Max 15%), Offhand (Max 15%)
TLDR: Non-ancient: If total Vit <= 3333 choose Vit. If total Vit > 3333, choose % Life. Ancient: If total total HP <= 666,666 choose Vit. If total Vit > 666,666, choose % Life.

3.2 Resistances: If your class's main stat is intelligence (Wiz, WD), your all resistances will be higher (intelligence increases all res) so you want to balance resistance with armor (usually better to get armor). For Monks, the Harmony Passive increases your all resistances based on your single resistance, so you benefit most from having single res instead of all res (if you use Harmony). For all other classes (Barb, Sader, DH), all res usually gives you much more than single res. Remember that all res and single res are mutually exclusive, meaning you can only roll one or the other on any one piece of gear.
All Res Gear: Everything except weapons, quivers, and mojos
Single Res Gear: Everything except weapons, quivers, mojos, and sources​

4.0 Recovery:
This stat is related to your ability to heal yourself, and is based on your life per second, life per hit, etc.

5.0 Gear Slots:
Below are my personal recommendations for what you want on your various gear slots, again in general form. Some builds will need specific things. If you want to see exactly what you can get on different types of gear, or what gear has the chance for a particular affix, try: Diablo 3 Affix Planner.

5.1 Head: Primary Affixes: You want a socket, main stat, CHC, and one of the following: skill damage, Vit, %Life, Life Regen, or all res. Secondary affixes: You want single res if you don't have all res as a primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius or Reduced Duration of Control Impairing effects.

5.2 Chest: Primary, you want three socket, main stat, and two of the following: Vit, %Life, armor, all res, skill damage for some builds, or regen (e.g., Hatred regen) for some builds. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius, and Health globes and potions grant life.

5.3 Belt: The belt is where nearly all classes/builds get toughness stats. Primary, you want main stat, Vit, %life, and either all res or armor. If you have a build based on a generator (signature skill), you can roll that skill damage on the belt. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius, Chance to Freeze, and Life per kill.

5.4 Pants: Primary, you want two socket, main stat, and two of the following: Vit, %Life, armor, all res. If you have a build based on a generator (signature skill), you can roll that skill damage on the Pants. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius, and Life per kill.

5.5 Boots: Primary, you want main stat, and two or three of the following: Vit, %Life, armor, all res. Some Spenders can be rolled on Boots (max 15% damage increase). Also, Movement Speed can be rolled on boots (Max 12%). Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius, Chance to Immobilize, and Health globes and potions grant life.

5.6 Shoulders: Primary, you want main stat, and two or three of the following: Vit, %Life, armor, all res. Some Spenders can be rolled on Shoulders (max 15% damage increase). If you have a build based on CDR or RCR, you can roll that on the Shoulders as well. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius, Chance to Chill, and Health globes and potions grant life.

5.7 Gloves: Primary, you want main stat, CHC, CHD, and one of the following: Vit, armor, all res. You can also roll IAS, CDR, and RCR on gloves if your build benefits from it. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius, and Chance to Stun.

5.8 Bracers/Wrists: Primary, you want main stat, % Ele (most builds), CHC, and one of the following: Vit, armor, all res. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Increase to Pickup Radius, and Chance to Knockback.

5.9.0 Weapons/Offhand:

5.9.1 Mainhand/Offhand Weapon: Primary, you want main stat, % Damage (Max 10%), socket, and one (or two if you use Ramaladni's Gift) of the following: Vit, LPH, IAS, CDR, or RCR. Class specific items (e.g., hand crossbows, fist weapons) can also roll resource generation. Secondary, you want Chance to Crowd Control (e.g., Blind, Chill, Freeze, etc.), Life per Kill, and + Max Resource (e.g., +Max Discipline for Unhallowed Essence DHs).

5.9.2 Offhand Shield: Primary, you want main stat, CHC, and two of the following: % Life, socket, Armor, all res, CDR, RCR, block chance, or damage against elites. Crusader Shields can also roll spender damage. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Chance to Crowd Control (e.g., Blind, Chill, Freeze, etc.), Reduced Duration of Control Impairing effects and Health globes and potions grant life.

5.9.3 Offhand Source/Quiver/Mojo: Primary, you want main stat, CHC, and two or three (depends on item) of the following: Vit, socket, LPH (not quivers), all res (not quivers), IAS, CDR, RCR, or spender damage. Class specific items (e.g., hand crossbows, fist weapons) can also roll resource generation. Secondary, I like Chance to Crowd Control (e.g., Blind, Chill, Freeze, etc.), Health globes and potions grant life, and + Max Resource (e.g., +Max Discipline for Unhallowed Essence DHs).

5.10 Rings: Primary, you want main stat, socket, CHC and CHD. You can also roll CDR or RCR for some builds. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Reduced Duration of Control Impairing effects and Health globes and potions grant life.

5.11 Neck/Amulets: Primary, you want main stat, socket, CHC and CHD. You can also roll % Ele, CDR or RCR for some builds. You NEED CHD on the neck because it can roll 100%. Only an emerald in your weapon gives you more CHD (130% max) and some people roll main stat off to get CHC, CHD, socket, and either % Ele, CDR, or RCR. Secondary, you want single res if you don't have all res as primary, and then I like Reduced Duration of Control Impairing effects, Chance to Blind, and Health globes and potions grant life.​

-----End of Guide-----

If you've read this and feel like you're still missing something in your gear but don't know what it is, just hit me up in game (Vlaru#1879) or post a link to your battle.net profile (e.g., http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vlaru-1879/) and I'd be happy to take a look. Let me know what you think of this guide, what I missed, what questions you have, and what I have totally wrong.

Game on!

V

Last edited:

blonky

Mar 5, 2015
Holy christ dude nice work, lots of information.

Linessah

Vetted Officer
May 5, 2016
NC
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
[MENTION=73398]Bootygoblin[/MENTION]

Scan this over and tell me if this is still relevant to current patches - if so, I will sticky this thread. Please, and thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)