Butts are down! (1 Viewer)

Gizmo256

Clan Leader
Dec 17, 2016
Decatur, AL
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
Got up this morning at 6:30 and fired up the green egg! Had a couple of boston butts in the fridge that were absorbing the rub I put on it last night. Should of taken a pic of them before I put them on the grill, but since I was working on my first cup of coffee, I didn't think to.

So, the big green egg is my neighbors. I'm hoping he'll sell it to me at a decent price rather than going and purchasing a new one, a good setup can run over $1000. What I'm trying to do is convince my wife that we NEED one...the butts are my plan. Normally the way to a woman's heart isn't through her stomach, but my wife loves good grilling and BBQ; if I can get a grill/smoker/convection cooker all in one, and the food comes out awesome, then I might have a chance at selling her on it!

I've got 2 4lb butts that I hit with butt rub the night before, and then added extra before I put it on the egg. Plan is to let them slow cook at 225f-250f for about 7-8 hours, with the last 2 hours taking it up to 300 to get that good crisp bark on it. Even through in a few hickory wood chips for that good smoky flavor. Not sure if others do this or not, but I wrap mine in foil after taking them off the grill and let them set for about an hour or two. I've found letting them set like that really enhances the flavor and the moisture of the meat.

sparkis

Vetted Officer
Oct 1, 2016
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
Got up this morning at 6:30 and fired up the green egg! Had a couple of boston butts in the fridge that were absorbing the rub I put on it last night. Should of taken a pic of them before I put them on the grill, but since I was working on my first cup of coffee, I didn't think to.

So, the big green egg is my neighbors. I'm hoping he'll sell it to me at a decent price rather than going and purchasing a new one, a good setup can run over $1000. What I'm trying to do is convince my wife that we NEED one...the butts are my plan. Normally the way to a woman's heart isn't through her stomach, but my wife loves good grilling and BBQ; if I can get a grill/smoker/convection cooker all in one, and the food comes out awesome, then I might have a chance at selling her on it!

I've got 2 4lb butts that I hit with butt rub the night before, and then added extra before I put it on the egg. Plan is to let them slow cook at 225f-250f for about 7-8 hours, with the last 2 hours taking it up to 300 to get that good crisp bark on it. Even through in a few hickory wood chips for that good smoky flavor. Not sure if others do this or not, but I wrap mine in foil after taking them off the grill and let them set for about an hour or two. I've found letting them set like that really enhances the flavor and the moisture of the meat.
Wrapping in foil to rest would ruin the bark you've created, no? That aside though, that does sounds pretty awesome. Been ages since I last did anything remotely barbecue related.

Gizmo256

Clan Leader
Dec 17, 2016
Decatur, AL
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
Wrapping in foil to rest would ruin the bark you've created, no? That aside though, that does sounds pretty awesome. Been ages since I last did anything remotely barbecue related.
Nah, wont ruin the bark created, it'll still be good and crunchy! I'm going to be pulling the pork for some sandwiches. Internal temp is at about 170f right now, just a bit longer til I pull them off.

Linessah

Vetted Officer
May 5, 2016
CA
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
My father uses a full-on smoker, even to smoke whole turkeys (smoked turkey is a godsend on Thanksgiving).

We soak our mixture of wood chips (kinds used depend on the meat) for a good bit to ensure they smoke and not burn.

We brine ours when we have enough prep time, then rub the butts, smoke to perfection - and rest. Occasionally, we get fresh pork belly to smoke above the butt, and let the fat drip down onto the butt. The juices from the drip pan are used to make a sauce to go on top of our meat. Lots of good flavor - you can't let it go to waste!!

Resting is the most important part of cooking any meat with the exception of most fish/seafood... be it chicken, pork, beef, turkey, venison, etc. Allowing the meat to rest will ensure the juices stay IN the meat. Nothing is worse than cutting into a freshly grilled steak to have its juices all over the plate and not in the meat. You also pull the meat just before it hits proper internal temp, as while it rests, the meat continues to cook for a short bit before beginning to cool. Waiting too long means your meat will overcook, and while juicy from resting, may still prove tough.

My favorite use for resting is when I make anything that requires cubed or shredded chicken. Who likes DRY shredded chicken?! My favorite for this using chicken is marinating whole breasts in mojo criollo, cooking them through in cast iron, letting them rest 5-10 minutes, then shredding. Moist chicken shreds more easily. I then make enchiladas, flautas, tostadas, or sopes. Mmm-mmh!

kevinkruse26

May 23, 2018
United Kingdom
For better or worse, technology has certain us to our desks, making sitting on our bums for 8 hours an afternoon the norm. Unsurprisingly, there are consequences for a sedentary lifestyle, the worst of which are associated with our health. Sitting is terrible for you, and all people know it. You wouldn’t be blamed for taking the weekend warrior principle of exercising and seeking to be as lively as possible for the duration of off-paintings hours. Maybe you stroll a few blocks greater than you need to, otherwise, you attempt to do work at some stage in lunch via standing at a counter instead mycourseworkhelp.co.uk. However technological know-how is here to tell you that’s now not going to reduce it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)