Closed: AMD 7970 GHZ edition (1 Viewer)

Rafiee

Vetted Officer
Apr 14, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
Apparently the 670 is actually better performing than the stock 7970. So If I get a new card, I'll definitely be getting the 670. It's like a 5% loss(something like that) and you save around $100

A

Agent38ddd

Well the 680 is better than the stock 7970, just not the 7970GE. I agree, you won't really see the gains but they will be noticeable down the road when newer and more demanding games are released. I think I'll go with the equally performing card that uses less power and makes less noise. However, if I ever choose to use multiple displays I'll definitely look at AMD more because they're ahead of the game in that department.
The thing with this, is that when there are newer more demanding games, these cards will both be left in the dust, and we'll be drooling over something else. The hardware is so far ahead of the games right now. It's a total 180 from about 6-7 years ago, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I can spec a system for under a grand that will play most anything at high settings. Too easy these days.

A

Agent38ddd

Apparently the 670 is actually better performing than the stock 7970. So If I get a new card, I'll definitely be getting the 670. It's like a 5% loss(something like that) and you save around $100
Don't you run a 6950 that still kicks some pretty good ass?

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
The thing with this, is that when there are newer more demanding games, these cards will both be left in the dust, and we'll be drooling over something else. The hardware is so far ahead of the games right now. It's a total 180 from about 6-7 years ago, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I can spec a system for under a grand that will play most anything at high settings. Too easy these days.
1000 is pretty much the budget I aim for as well when making a specing a build for someone as well.
It might make sense to look at crossfire/sli performance when choosing between the two actually. Since there isn't much of a difference between the two now, you may want to look at the future instead, when they aren't as good and you might want to crossfire/sli.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

A

Agent38ddd

Yep, agreed. That's why I always suggest a superior single video card + beefy PSU as a foundation for any gamer build. When prices drop -- you drop in another card, BUT you don't want to have to buy a bigger PSU at the same time. I guarantee that when prices drop enough on the gTX580 -- I'll pick up another one, tear the machine down, buy another KL waterblock, etc. But I would be screwed if I went with a pair of Radeon 6850's (for example) because my upgrade path would be at an end, without a more expensive overhaul.

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Good point, he does. I know that cause I remember he has the same card as me. I don't stalk him :/ In which case, why do you need a new card [MENTION=29]Rafiee[/MENTION] ?

Last edited:
A

Agent38ddd

Yea [MENTION=29]Rafiee[/MENTION] -- inquiring minds want to know ;) Have the itch for a new build?

Rafiee

Vetted Officer
Apr 14, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
yes i do
Good point, he does. I know that cause I remember he has the same card as me. I don't stalk him :/ In which case, why do you need a new card [MENTION=29]Rafiee[/MENTION] ?

I'm not, this is a hypothetical situation :p I'd upgrade if i had the disposable income to do it, but I don't.
Yea [MENTION=29]Rafiee[/MENTION] -- inquiring minds want to know ;) Have the itch for a new build?
If money allowed it

DrinkingWhiskey

Retired Co-Leader
Mar 1, 2009
Clan Rank
Retired Member
I'm still waiting to get some cash to drop in another 460, and you guys are talking about multiple 580s, 79999999s, etc lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)